OT: General OT Thread #41: Do We Have To Go With Skoula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Today better be our last sub-zero temps of the year

Looks like it's to warm up for the weekend and next week. I'm so over winter this year. More than usual. :laugh:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I hope so...I want to be on the golf course before April. :naughty:

Hey speaking of golf, has anyone bought new clubs recently?

My uncle told me he buys them (lightly) used online. I think the site he told me about is TaylorMadepreowned.com, or something like that.

Anybody have experience buying clubs that way? My irons are hand-me-downs from my Grandpa, and are really beat up. I think it's time to upgrade :laugh:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I have my current driver from Callaway's pre-owned site. Worked really well. They have a bunch of different 'grades' of quality, mine was marked like new and it was exactly that.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I have my current driver from Callaway's pre-owned site. Worked really well. They have a bunch of different 'grades' of quality, mine was marked like new and it was exactly that.

Cool, I was going to go to one of those golf shops with the simulators where they let you try out clubs (my roommate said it's free to do?!) just to kind of find out what I like, the length, etc.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Guess who golfed twice this last weekend near Vegas? :naughty:

I believe I bought a hybrid from the Taylormade pre-owned site, and it came in very good condition, so I was definitely happy with the purchase. I bought my Titleist driver used, like a year or two old model to save a bunch of money. Then I got a set of Pings a few years ago for like $500 or something. Honestly, buying pre-owned can be a great deal. The only thing is you can get the clubs custom-fitted to your height, swing speed, etc., so it depends on how much you play and if you care about that.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Guess who golfed twice this last weekend near Vegas? :naughty:

I believe I bought a hybrid from the Taylormade pre-owned site, and it came in very good condition, so I was definitely happy with the purchase. I bought my Titleist driver used, like a year or two old model to save a bunch of money. Then I got a set of Pings a few years ago for like $500 or something. Honestly, buying pre-owned can be a great deal. The only thing is you can get the clubs custom-fitted to your height, swing speed, etc., so it depends on how much you play and if you care about that.

I'm going to Arizona in April (watching the Wild play there!) so I'm hoping to golf down there, but I'm not sure yet. Of course with my luck I'll go down there and it will be like 75 and sunny at home :laugh:

That is the one thing I was apprehensive about buying used clubs, is not having the customization option. But I'm little more than a weekend hacker, so I figure as long as I get something relatively the right height and specs, I should be ok.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm going to Arizona in April (watching the Wild play there!) so I'm hoping to golf down there, but I'm not sure yet. Of course with my luck I'll go down there and it will be like 75 and sunny at home :laugh:

That is the one thing I was apprehensive about buying used clubs, is not having the customization option. But I'm little more than a weekend hacker, so I figure as long as I get something relatively the right height and specs, I should be ok.

Nice about seeing a game down there! Yeah if you aren't into it very seriously, just get something relatively close. The most important thing is probably height and flex then.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Anyone else in Minnesota catch that norovirus going around?

Nothing better than spending a Tuesday curled into the fetal position and wishing for the sweet release of death.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't gotten anything that serious. But there has been a cold going around our office for a solid 3 weeks now. I've managed to get it once. Sanitizing the crap out of my desk, I'm not getting it again.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
My wife works in a daycare, which is like a damn petri dish in the winter. I'm guessing that's where her and I got it from.

My coworker has gotten pinkeye 3 times this year already from her daughter... Who got it from daycare. Literal cesspools! :laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
My wife works in a daycare, which is like a damn petri dish in the winter. I'm guessing that's where her and I got it from.

That sounds like my future. My girlfriend graduates in the same field this year :laugh:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I had what I thought was the beginning of something the other day: a cough developed into a sore throat and headache, and I had that fun symptom where you're bundled up enough to be sweating, but also feel cold :huh:

Luckily it mostly passed over the course of the next day, but I work at a school, and there's pretty big concern over germs right now. I heard one school closer to where I live has actually already closed up for a few days because something like 20% of the kids were out sick, so we're trying to avoid that, but we'll see.

Oh and, my wife also works with preschoolers, and will be returning to work next week after maternity leave. This should be an interesting few weeks :laugh:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
That sounds like my future. My girlfriend graduates in the same field this year :laugh:

Yeah, brace yourself for her bringing home her kids' illnesses.

Also, for you and your girlfriend's sake, I hope they pay daycare teachers better over in Finland. Actually, the place she works at now isn't as bad as her first daycare job 5-6 years ago where she was making almost nothing. Plus, the benefit with her working at her current daycare is our son and daughter got 50% off their tuition at the school which was an amazing cash saver.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I've heard from some of my cousins with kids that daycare is like crazy expensive. You'd think with how expensive it is, they could pay their people a little better!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah, I've heard from some of my cousins with kids that daycare is like crazy expensive. You'd think with how expensive it is, they could pay their people a little better!

I know, and that's the first complaint I have when I look at my wife's paycheck and then see how much tuition for my daughter cost that week. Of course daycares have tons of expenses that they need to maintain to support their students (especially now that a lot of them are moving toward a more educational direction rather than just letting the kids do whatever), but sometimes I want to see their accounting books just to reassure myself the bosses aren't taking chartered jets to Maui every other week. :laugh:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
This is why I don't want kids :biglaugh:

I love my kids and would do anything for them, but sometimes I look back at my life before kids when I had money to spend on nobody but myself and my weekends were my weekends and sleep was a right instead of a luxury...

So yeah, I'll never blame anyone for having the 'no kids' mentality :laugh:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm conflicted on kids right now. Sometimes I'm like, yeah raising a kid would be an extremely rewarding experience, I could definitely see myself having a kid in the next 5-8 years.

But then I talk to my cousins or my couple friends with kids, and see the jealousy in their eyes when I tell them "I'll probably just chill out all weekend and do whatever, see where the breeze takes me..." and then I think maybe I don't want kids :laugh:

Although the girl I'm kinda maybe sorta seeing right now has talked about kids. So if that gets more serious, I'm sure my tune will change :laugh:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I'm conflicted on kids right now. Sometimes I'm like, yeah raising a kid would be an extremely rewarding experience, I could definitely see myself having a kid in the next 5-8 years.

But then I talk to my cousins or my couple friends with kids, and see the jealousy in their eyes when I tell them "I'll probably just chill out all weekend and do whatever, see where the breeze takes me..." and then I think maybe I don't want kids :laugh:

Although the girl I'm kinda maybe sorta seeing right now has talked about kids. So if that gets more serious, I'm sure my tune will change :laugh:

Yikes.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Yeah, I'm confused on this one too. You're not even sure if you're seeing each other yet but the kids topic has come up??

giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well I mean, just in casual passing conversation. Not like "let's have babies" :laugh:

I'm in the process of navigating out of the friend zone. It may be a dangerous proposition, but hey... I like to live dangerously

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad