OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Molinari/Fleetwood are killing the US. 1/3 to almost half the EU points are probably going to be theirs. Tiger has been in the pairing facing them 3 of the 4 times. Why would you put a traditionally weak RC player like Tiger against a buzzsaw group like that, especially with Tiger really in the middle of a comeback effort rather than at his peak?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Molinari/Fleetwood are killing the US. 1/3 to almost half the EU points are probably going to be theirs. Tiger has been in the pairing facing them 3 of the 4 times. Why would you put a traditionally weak RC player like Tiger against a buzzsaw group like that, especially with Tiger really in the middle of a comeback effort rather than at his peak?
Pretty sure Bjorn gets second pick (so picks the matchups)

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ryder Cup matches are determined blindly. The captains don't collaborate at all in deciding who gets to go against who, they just submit lists of which players their own team is sending out in order. The President's Cup does it better by getting the two captains in a room together and they match up their players against each other. Would be much more fun if the RC had that format too.

Furyk has been getting too much criticism, as per usual with losing captains. The course just does not suit the USA's strengths at all. Tiger, Bryson, and Finau were all no brainer picks and Phil was getting a pick regardless so it's pretty dumb that people are on him for making bad picks. So much of it just comes down to luck. The best players in the world always assert themselves as the best over 72 holes... but over 18 or fewer holes they can be inconsistent. The easiest scapegoat is always the captain.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ryder Cup matches are determined blindly. The captains don't collaborate at all in deciding who gets to go against who, they just submit lists of which players their own team is sending out in order. The President's Cup does it better by getting the two captains in a room together and they match up their players against each other. Would be much more fun if the RC had that format too.

Furyk has been getting too much criticism, as per usual with losing captains. The course just does not suit the USA's strengths at all. Tiger, Bryson, and Finau were all no brainer picks and Phil was getting a pick regardless so it's pretty dumb that people are on him for making bad picks. So much of it just comes down to luck. The best players in the world always assert themselves as the best over 72 holes... but over 18 or fewer holes they can be inconsistent. The easiest scapegoat is always the captain.

Except for the final singles day when all participants play, the captain sets matchups based on who he runs out there. It was suggested somewhere that he should have benched Mickelson for the whole thing, but he played Phil in day 1 and 2 and he delivered nothing. He was sending irons into the water like a weekend hacker. Just didn't have it. Furyk could have sat his ass, but didn't. Furyk didn't manage this well, but he also didn't get much out of anyone really which he can't overcome with any moves.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Except for the final singles day when all participants play, the captain sets matchups based on who he runs out there. It was suggested somewhere that he should have benched Mickelson for the whole thing, but he played Phil in day 1 and 2 and he delivered nothing. He was sending irons into the water like a weekend hacker. Just didn't have it. Furyk could have sat his ass, but didn't. Furyk didn't manage this well, but he also didn't get much out of anyone really which he can't overcome with any moves.
Phil didn't play at all on Day 2. He played once on Day 1.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t see how you leave Phil off of what was likely his last team as a player, but his form was floundering heading into this.

I think it was a mistake leaving Keegan off the team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nothing wrong with the team composition, they just didn't deliver. The Euros clearly focused on putting the ball in play and in the fairway and the Americans tried to overpower the course. Just dumb. Furyk deserves criticism for not correcting their strategy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Reed 'blindsided' by not being paired with Spieth

Reed, 28, told The New York Times in a phone interview Sunday after the American team had suffered a 17½ to 10½ defeat to Europe that the decision-making process was a "buddy system" that ignored the input of all but select players -- which would imply Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods, who along with captain Jim Furyk are part of a Ryder Cup committee put in place four years ago.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think they've learned the difference in playing in America vs Europe. I guess that's clear from their record the last 25 years. Simply showing up with a pal and trying to ride a wave of good vibes to a miracle win isn't going to cut it overseas. It must be treated like a hostile environment with all players heads-down and hitting fairways and greens to put pressure on the home squad to stay solid. If you blast it everywhere and get the crowd involved then you're toast.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Reed 'blindsided' by not being paired with Spieth

Reed, 28, told The New York Times in a phone interview Sunday after the American team had suffered a 17½ to 10½ defeat to Europe that the decision-making process was a "buddy system" that ignored the input of all but select players -- which would imply Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods, who along with captain Jim Furyk are part of a Ryder Cup committee put in place four years ago.

Reed thought of all the inspirational sayings he had read in the team room. “Every day, I saw ‘Leave your egos at the door,’” Reed said. Referring to the Europeans, he added, “They do that better than us.”

“For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don’t think it’s smart to sit me twice,” Reed said.

I think Reed should stop blaming other people for his terrible play, especially on Saturday.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't like "leave your egos at the door" being pushed down.

First it suggests by implication that the players have ego problems. The Euros definitely have big egos, they just attach them to the team dynamic and the competition parameters.

Second, if someone doesn't know how to do that and they just read that trope as "be a humble drone" then you rob yourself of energy and confidence of the kind displayed by RC greats like Seve and Poulter.

I think no matter who has the RC there is a perpetual David vs Goliath dynamic that goes back to the early years of the competition, and it fuels the Euro team while making the US team less focused and hungry/desperate. That is the psychological edge, not ego taming.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Au contraire, monsieur Reed:

"He is so full of s---,'' a member of Team USA told the New York Post on Monday. "Blindsided, my ass. He begged to play with Tiger.''

"He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,'' the Team USA member said to the Post. "He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn't. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome."

"I feel so bad for Jim, because he was an unreal captain," the person told the Post. "He would have run through a wall for all 12 of the guys. Unfortunately, there were only 11 players that would have returned the favor.''

I think he's eclipsed Bubba as the most hated player on tour. Who's your guess for the mystery player? I think it's JT.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Apparantly it was a non-playing member of the team, so it's not JT. I'd probably guess it was David Duval. Could've been a caddy, though.

I'm really happy that this Ryder Cup didn't just end with the USA whimpering out. These comments add a whole lot of flavour that we all needed. Reed continues to show why he's my favourite golfer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

"He is so full of s---,'' a member of Team USA told the New York Post on Monday. "Blindsided, my ass. He begged to play with Tiger.''

"He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,'' the Team USA member said to the Post. "He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn't. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome."

"I feel so bad for Jim, because he was an unreal captain," the person told the Post. "He would have run through a wall for all 12 of the guys. Unfortunately, there were only 11 players that would have returned the favor.''

I think he's eclipsed Bubba as the most hated player on tour. Who's your guess for the mystery player? I think it's JT.

Well Bubba, Bryson, Webb, and Phil were inactive for the Saturday AM match mentioned as being witnessed first-hand. So probably one of them. Phil has never been shy about commenting publicly, nor has Bubba, so they probably wouldn't comment anonymously. It seems out of character for Webb, so my guess is Bryson who was paired with Tiger in the afternoon and IIRC is a big Tiger fan who most likely didn't appreciate Reed's bullshit, but as a rookie may have felt it prudent to stay in the shadows.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Apparantly it was a non-playing member of the team, so it's not JT. I'd probably guess it was David Duval. Could've been a caddy, though.

I'm really happy that this Ryder Cup didn't just end with the USA whimpering out. These comments add a whole lot of flavour that we all needed. Reed continues to show why he's my favourite golfer.

If it was a non-playing "member" it could be anyone, but Tiger's caddy is a good guess for someone who would've seen Reed's round first hand and had a good idea what he would've shot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Anonymous....****y quotes. He’s blaming the entire loss on Reed.

I heard he lobbied to play with Tiger AFTER he was told he wasn’t paired with Speith.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Danny McBride written HBO comedy? AMEN!

I have to see this one, but for g00n, (and everyone else) if you Netflix, the new funniest show on TV is Norsemen. Its about a bunch of Vikings who do some Viking stuff like rape and pillage, but who talk to each other in 2018 speak about 2018 things. The first two scenes will steal it for you. Its hilarious!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad