General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-7-20_12-54-36.png

Cases are way too high
but Hosp dropped 14 units since yesterday . ICU unchanged.

Jun 30, 2006
My point is only that there is at worst very similar protection provided from infection and vaccination. Yet for some reason that gets almost completely overlooked. If people want to provide data suggesting otherwise then I am all ears.

Once someone gets covid they have excellent protection, doesn't mean that there are zero exceptions. There are also thousands of breakthrough cases in the US where people have died or been hospitalized after vaccination, and likewise it doesn't mean that the vaccine isn't effective.

I see alot of people (not just here) segmenting the population into just two groups. The vaccinated and the unvaccinated, and essentially what they are doing is separating them into two groups the informed vs the ignorant/conspiracy theorists. Even our government does it by giving the former more freedom than the latter. I don't see any reason why someone with natural immunity should be viewed differently as someone with a vaccine.

At least give people the opportunity to receive an antibody test in lieu of a vaccine. And hopefully people don't misconstru this as a political post, not my intention, I just think there needs to be a bit more common sense and honesty in our approach to some of this stuff in order to get more people on board.

Thats the problem, there’s no common sense anymore. Everything is a zero sum game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My point is only that there is at worst very similar protection provided from infection and vaccination. Yet for some reason that gets almost completely overlooked. If people want to provide data suggesting otherwise then I am all ears.

Once someone gets covid they have excellent protection, doesn't mean that there are zero exceptions. There are also thousands of breakthrough cases in the US where people have died or been hospitalized after vaccination, and likewise it doesn't mean that the vaccine isn't effective.

I see alot of people (not just here) segmenting the population into just two groups. The vaccinated and the unvaccinated, and essentially what they are doing is separating them into two groups the informed vs the ignorant/conspiracy theorists. Even our government does it by giving the former more freedom than the latter. I don't see any reason why someone with natural immunity should be viewed differently as someone with a vaccine.

At least give people the opportunity to receive an antibody test in lieu of a vaccine. And hopefully people don't misconstru this as a political post, not my intention, I just think there needs to be a bit more common sense and honesty in our approach to some of this stuff in order to get more people on board.

Thats the problem, there’s no common sense anymore. Everything is a zero sum game.

Okay--but that's not at all what I did.

I simply presented the fact that at that time at least 99.6% of the LA county cases were not vaccinated, and thus the vaccine is working as intended.

Any further inferences are on you.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Bad that it's 290 new cases -- but that is a decline from yesterdays 315. Turn that frown upside down Lt. Dan ;)

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Bad that it's 290 new cases -- but that is a decline from yesterdays 315. Turn that frown upside down Lt. Dan ;)
Will do!

That is still too many.

We do know that cases---->hosp/icu---->deaths. What happens with this variant is still very much new. Although it isn't looking as nasty.

The anti-vaxxer and resident conspiracy guy at my office got it and he has been sick for a week. he said he can't remember the last time that he was this sick.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Will do!

That is still too many.

We do know that cases---->hosp/icu---->deaths. What happens with this variant is still very much new. Although it isn't looking as nasty.

The anti-vaxxer and resident conspiracy guy at my office got it and he has been sick for a week. he said he can't remember the last time that he was this sick.
Actions / Inaction; I think my Dad kicked me in the butt a few times until I learned this.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-7-23_12-23-45.png

I just noticed that the number of tests has been climbing. Almost back to 10K a day

Just a reminder of where we were

NOTE OLD NUMBERS BELOW

This was Dec 12
FB-IMG-1607816152490.jpg

This was Jun 9
upload_2021-6-9_12-53-39-png.445421

Almost a year and a half in and it's still amazing how quickly these numbers move

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
What really boggles my mind is that according to CDC numbers, vaccination rates in the US for Polio, MMR, Hep B, Chickenpox are all over 90%. PCV and Tetnus over 80%.

COVID 49%

I dunno about anyone else but I sure enjoyed not getting polio when I was a kid. How has this country gotten this ridiculous this fast?

Last edited:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Co-worker of mine was telling me that his wife's family are anti-vax regarding COVID but that he and his wife are vaccinated however. Now her family is getting hit hard with COVID with at least 6 of them falling ill with some hospitalizations and potentially more of them being sick enough to be admitted.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
What really boggles my mind is that according to CDC numbers, vaccination rates in the US for Polio, MMR, Hep B, Chickenpox are all over 90%. PCV and Tetnus over 80%.

COVID 49%

I dunno about anyone else but I sure enjoyed not getting polio when I was a kid. How has this country gotten this ridiculous this fast?
Civil rights attorneys. I can't say anything more without getting political.

But this is a problem on both sides of the spectrum. The granola crowd started it with essential oils and the Jenny McCarthys and now it's the other end of the spectrum

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Co-worker of mine was telling me that his wife's family are anti-vax regarding COVID but that he and his wife are vaccinated however. Now her family is getting hit hard with COVID with at least 6 of them falling ill with some hospitalizations and potentially more of them being sick enough to be admitted.

My wife's family is a case study:

Wife and I are vaccinated.
Wife's mom is a PhD, holds a high ranking position at a major UC school, her parents are both vaccinated.
Sister is in medical school, dating another med school student, both vaccinated.
Brother 1 is married to a nurse, both vaccinated.

Then there's brother 2...

He's is a mechanic at a ski resort. Anti-vaxxer-government-don't-tell-me-what-to-do dumb ass went out, slept with another anti vaxxer dumbass that had covid, and unknowingly exposed half his family including his grandparents, a bunch of young neices and nephews, and his parents who were back east visiting him. It's almost like being educated matters.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Civil rights attorneys. I can't say anything more without getting political.

But this is a problem on both sides of the spectrum. The granola crowd started it with essential oils and the Jenny McCarthys and now it's the other end of the spectrum
I don't always stuff crystals up people's twats, but when I do it's Gweneth Paltrow's. ;)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Wife's mom is a PhD, holds a high ranking position at a major UC school, her parents are both vaccinated.
Sister is in medical school, dating another med school student, both vaccinated.

He's is a mechanic at a ski resort. Anti-vaxxer-government-don't-tell-me-what-to-do dumb ass went out, slept with another anti vaxxer dumbass that had covid, and unknowingly exposed half his family including his grandparents, a bunch of young neices and nephews, and his parents who were back east visiting him. It's almost like being educated matters.
Are you saying Jenny McCarthy is uneducated? I dunno, she has some pretty big brains.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
A lot of people in my orbit are getting hit with it. The majority of them are conservatives who denied the virus and the experts in favor of conspiracy YouTube videos or certain news pundits. Weird how conservatives never think of it as a problem until it happens to THEM.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

Are their any other sisters in medical school? Asking for a friend…

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think I told you guys that he resident conspiracy theorist in my workplace got it. He literally now can't wait to get the jab. He had a bad case. his lungs are a mess
He may want to think about being vaccinated now and consult with his physician. If he has a high level of antibodies after he recovers, I think I would wait if I were him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
A lot of people in my orbit are getting hit with it. The majority of them are conservatives who denied the virus and the experts in favor of conspiracy YouTube videos or certain news pundits. Weird how conservatives never think of it as a problem until it happens to THEM.
I guess there aren't too many inner city minorities in your orbit. They are among the highest percentage of people who are not vaccinated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad