General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

Can we sign you to a 2 posts per week contract?
Any thread. Just two posts a week.

I've definitely been more active the past 12 months than I was the prior 4 years. Baby steps! In all seriousness, I'm just busier these days and then of course there is the shit show that is the LA Kings that leaves plenty to be desired.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Nevada has issued another emergency mask mandate, vaccinated or not. Our spread is *completely* out of control right now.

What a joke. My sister, mother in law, father in law, and mother are all ardent anti-vaxxers. Relationships have been permanently damaged over this vaccine stuff, and I no longer give a shit. My 5 year old will need to start kindergarten this year in a f***ing mask because of these absolute morons.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-7-28_14-29-59.png

Too many cases, but otherwise not horrible news

Hosp up 3
ICU up 8

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The unvaxxed are really spiking right now. The case rate increase percentage is pretty comparable to the vaccinated, but they are starting at a higher level. If you are vaccinated, it's like investing $100 and getting a 500% ROI. Now you have made $400. If you are unvaccinated, it's like investing $500 at the same return, but now you've made $2000. Unfortunately in this case, instead of getting richer, you end up getting sick.

Unsurprisingly, the biggest portion of the cases are in the 25-34 demographic. The bulk of the new cases are white folk by a pretty substantial margin. Apparently, all of our jokes about millennials living in their parents' basement aren't accurate, they are living it up!

What scares me is the 2nd highest growth demographic is in the 0-17 age range. That group is approaching 28,000 confirmed cases, they are on track to surpass the number of cases in all people over 65 combined. I know a crapload of parents don't want their kids wearing masks at school, but the "kids don't really get COVID" and the "kids don't transmit COVID" arguments don't hold any water, and quite frankly is wishful thinking. I have terrible COVID fatigue, but I'll make sure my school-agers are wearing them on campus regardless of their policies. My school is 100% masked indoors for all staff and students regardless of vax status, outside of classrooms/athletic areas we don't have to wear them.

What kind of puzzles me is a lot of parents are willing to risk their kids getting COVID, even though we don't know the long-term effects it may have on them, yet they use this very same argument when explaining why they won't get vaccinated.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The unvaxxed are really spiking right now. The case rate increase percentage is pretty comparable to the vaccinated, but they are starting at a higher level. If you are vaccinated, it's like investing $100 and getting a 500% ROI. Now you have made $400. If you are unvaccinated, it's like investing $500 at the same return, but now you've made $2000. Unfortunately in this case, instead of getting richer, you end up getting sick.

Unsurprisingly, the biggest portion of the cases are in the 25-34 demographic. The bulk of the new cases are white folk by a pretty substantial margin. Apparently, all of our jokes about millennials living in their parents' basement aren't accurate, they are living it up!
they are living it up because they have a ton of disposable income because they don't pay rent! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I’m wondering how the Delta will do with schools reopening with basically a mask precaution only. Most school haven’t been fully back with a normal schedule since March 2020. If it is more contagious I think it could be cause for concern.

Students in LA will be required to wear masks indoors and on buses. It's still a requirement statewide, actually, but the schools can decide how to deal with non-compliance on their own.

I'll tell you this: Students wearing masks indoors > Students having split schedules to have them 6 feet apart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Distance learning.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Students in LA will be required to wear masks indoors and on buses. It's still a requirement statewide, actually, but the schools can decide how to deal with non-compliance on their own.

I'll tell you this: Students wearing masks indoors > Students having split schedules to have them 6 feet apart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Distance learning.
I agree, but students in school do not were masks 100% of the time. Just saying, full schools and more contagious virus could see greater spread that we didn’t see during lockdowns which could cause closures. Hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Kids need to be in school this year - period. Whether with a mask, without, restrictions, spacing whatever. Doesn’t matter the details. They need to be in school. Society is going to pay a big debt in 10-30 years with these kids being away so long if it continues.

Reactions: Rusty Batch

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
View attachment 457702
New cases are too high
Hosp took another jump today , but ICU held at 56
One thing to keep in mind in the hospital is that a patient could have gone from ICU to the floor as a transfer or downgrade and one of those new admits could have taken their place in the ICU. Transfers go up and down. The number in the ICU wouldn't have necessarily changed but just bed movement around the hospital as patients deteriorate or improve.

Reactions: Lt Dan

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kids need to be in school this year - period. Whether with a mask, without, restrictions, spacing whatever. Doesn’t matter the details. They need to be in school. Society is going to pay a big debt in 10-30 years with these kids being away so long if it continues.
Yeah, cause the loss of life from Covid isn't gonna be felt enough. I have painfully weighed the decision for the last month. I was ready to send my daughter back until the Delta hit. Now she is going into second grade and will be online again. I'm a SPED teacher and my wife is able to stay home. We are lucky. We plan to send her back to school after she is vaccinated. The choice sucks. Risk social/mental/academic well-being vs physical well-being and possibly spreading it to others. Either way comes with risk that can be somewhat mitigated. It is just hard for me as a parent, given the choice, to risk her getting a severe case of Covid even if the odds are low. Again, I say that acutely aware that not all have the choice. Then I get mad that we are still in this situation.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-8-4_10-57-19.png

The good, cases are WAY down today.
The Bad - Hosp jumped again today
ICU also up, 6 beds

One glaring stat that I have been keeping my eye on is the deaths . they have been INCREDIBLY low

upload_2021-8-4_11-1-20.png

I don't know if this new variant isn't as deadly, is taking much longer to kill or if there is somehow a serious data delay. but considering the cases deaths are VERY low

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
View attachment 459271

ICU also up, 6 beds

One glaring stat that I have been keeping my eye on is the deaths . they have been INCREDIBLY low

View attachment 459272

I don't know if this new variant isn't as deadly, is taking much longer to kill or if there is somehow a serious data delay. but considering the cases deaths are VERY low

Isn't it because the age demo of the current "surge" is younger and not in the high-risk category? Would imagine the majority of your unvaccinated are young and they are also the ones going out and being active.

I chose to get the vaccine so I could travel easier and, most importantly, get into the Kings games easily for the upcoming season. Real kick in the nuts to see masks mandates back in place. Going to be really pissed off come October if I have to wear a mask at Staples all game which feels like an inevitability at this point.

Reactions: KINGS17

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I was looking for possibly case age numbers for recent cases and I did find this graph that someone put together on their Commodore Vic 20
upload_2021-8-4_12-30-1.png

We are still currently in line with last summer's surge. This is happening a bit later

Peak Hosp was 722 on 7/14 and Peak ICU was 245 on 7/15/20

These are cases by strain
upload_2021-8-4_12-34-19.png

upload_2021-8-4_12-34-57.png

The Epsilon variant is the artist formally known as the LA Variant

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Isn't it because the age demo of the current "surge" is younger and not in the high-risk category? Would imagine the majority of your unvaccinated are young and they are also the ones going out and being active.

I chose to get the vaccine so I could travel easier and, most importantly, get into the Kings games easily for the upcoming season. Real kick in the nuts to see masks mandates back in place. Going to be really pissed off come October if I have to wear a mask at Staples all game which feels like an inevitability at this point.

Seems like anecdotally younger unvaccinated people are getting pretty sick with Delta. Is the Delta Variant Making Younger Adults ‘Sicker, Quicker’?

Physicians working in Covid hot spots across the nation say that the patients in their hospitals are not like the patients they saw last year. Almost always unvaccinated, the new arrivals tend to be younger, many in their 20s or 30s. And they seem sicker than younger patients were last year, deteriorating more rapidly.

Doctors have coined a new phrase to describe them: “younger, sicker, quicker.” Many physicians treating them suspect that the Delta variant of the coronavirus, which now accounts for more than 80 percent of new infections nationwide, is playing a role.

Studies done in a handful of other countries suggest that the variant may cause more severe disease, but there is no definitive data showing that the new variant is somehow worse for young adults.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
View attachment 459271

ICU also up, 6 beds

View attachment 459272

Don’t think it is more or less deadly, but far more contagious.

My school has already had to quarantine a group of people after the first day of training. I think this is gonna be pretty common this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad