General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
A reminder for the rules of the thread and general Covid-19 talk

This forum is not limited to hockey-related talk.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Be careful what you link to, treat it like the trade forum we don't want to spread bad information.

How you're preparing, how this is affecting your community, news and information are the types of discussion this forum is for.

If you want to talk about the protests in regards to Covid-19, be my guest. Please try not to diverge the thread into politics.

And none of this "civil war" bullshit

Last edited by a moderator:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
As far as political parties are concerned, I think people need something to glom onto. Most people do not have any identity outside of their online world, they don't have a local Lions club or Kiwanis club, they don't have a church, or anything else that gives their lives meaning because they bought into consumerism and post modernism. So therefore they have the political party, which gives them meaning because their party is the one that is going to save the world and vanquish the bad guys. It's gotten so bad that even if there is a good idea whether it is left or right regarding the virus, foreign policy, etc, the opposite party and their acolytes won't even entertain it and that is bad for society as a whole.

This dude nailed it!

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
As far as political parties are concerned, I think people need something to glom onto. Most people do not have any identity outside of their online world, they don't have a local Lions club or Kiwanis club, they don't have a church, or anything else that gives their lives meaning because they bought into consumerism and post modernism. So therefore they have the political party, which gives them meaning because their party is the one that is going to save the world and vanquish the bad guys. It's gotten so bad that even if there is a good idea whether it is left or right regarding the virus, foreign policy, etc, the opposite party and their acolytes won't even entertain it and that is bad for society as a whole.
I don't know about that. A TON of political nutjiobs are active churchgoers and or members of a gun club or two.

Conversely I don't go to church and am not a member of a Kiwanis club but you still will never see me riding around town with a Biden flag on my truck or wearing a Biden hat for the next 4 years like a f***ing weirdo.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
upload_2020-12-10_13-24-8.png

6.8% positives today
Hosp up big again, it was 974 yesterday
ICU also up big was 239 yesterday

Rolling 7 day

ICU only up 1 from yesterday

Thu:7
Wed:0
Tues:0
Mon:0
Sun:15
Sat:15
Fri:17

7.71 average

Anyone who drives a car with political commentary in the form of a sticker or flag is a person who wants attention. I have a neighbor who is in his early 20's and a few weeks before the election put up Trump flag on the front of his parent's house. He then carries it to his car every morning drives around with this massive flag flapping around. He's still doing it to this day. Then I guess that provoked my other neighbors to put up "Bye Don" signs on their house. I'm living between these two people and I'm sitting here like "we're neighbors do we really need this nonsense"? If their is a major earthquake I'm not going to care who someone voted for if I'm in need of help and I'm also not going to not help someone because of who they voted.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Anyone who drives a car with political commentary in the form of a sticker or flag is a person who wants attention. I have a neighbor who is in his early 20's and a few weeks before the election put up Trump flag on the front of his parent's house. He then carries it to his car every morning drives around with this massive flag flapping around. He's still doing it to this day. Then I guess that provoked my other neighbors to put up "Bye Don" signs on their house. I'm living between these two people and I'm sitting here like "we're neighbors do we really need this nonsense"? If their is a major earthquake I'm not going to care who someone voted for if I'm in need of help and I'm also not going to not help someone because of who they voted.

Regarding the bolded, I didn't used to feel like that was the case when stickers looked like this:

2372ae98682e7bbe626b6d2938357a3a.jpg

or this:
5216_thumb.jpg

But now you have this:

il_570xN.2069376065_6ds8.jpg

They don't just want attention, they want a fight. It's all part of the ruse. Whip people up into a frenzy by convincing them they're having everything "taken" from them until all they can do is see red when anyone has a different view. It's really unfortunate that this is where we are these days.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
HOLY SHIT!

upload_2020-12-11_13-6-54.png

1.95% positives today.
Hosp up almost 100 from yesterday!!! I t was 1025
ICU down from yesterday was 257

Rolling 7 day

Fri:22
Thu:7
Wed:0
Tues:0
Mon:0
Sun:15
Sat:15

the avg jumps to 8.43

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If it was so important for individuals to stay home on Thanksgiving, why were all the stores open on Black Friday?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If it was so important for individuals to stay home on Thanksgiving, why were all the stores open on Black Friday?

Yuu have literally been advocating for exactly this since at least April. Am I missing your point here?

"the importance of staying home" obviously has little direct influence on public policy....

LA County has quickly become one of the worst in the nation.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yuu have literally been advocating for exactly this since at least April. Am I missing your point here?

"the importance of staying home" obviously has little direct influence on public policy....

LA County has quickly become one of the worst in the nation.
The point is the inconsistent message from our "leaders".

Big box stores are open. No mention from anyone about the importance of not going out shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Restaurants are closed for even outdoor dining.

Don't gather your family for Thanksgiving.

My point is we are all free adults capable of making our own decisions based on the risk we perceive.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

I thought that the message for Txgiving was to not gather with families to stop the spread because people are not going to mask indoors.
Having the stores open was supposed to be where it's all sunshine and rainbows and everyone is supposed to be social distancing. Most patients now are from family get togethers. Dining outdoors is comprised of pop up tents which are basically enclosed increasing the risk of airborne transmission. The leaders who joined them can take a walk off a short pier with a do as I say and not as I do and then dined out sending a giant middle finger to the rest of the people.

Based on the numbers now, the risk assessment by people any those who are able to make their own decisions has backfired in epic proportions. Orange County hospitals are pushing off ambulances and the ambulances can't offload their patients.

Some Orange County ambulances with patients are ‘waiting hours’ for ER beds – Orange County Register

EMTS should not be coding patients for extended periods of time in the field. It's dangerous for them and if we start losing them, response time falls off and people die. It's just careless.

Can't wait to see what XMAS brings.

Sorry up front, a little grumpy today. Just finished 3 shifts and watching this all unfold is nuts.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought that the message for Txgiving was to not gather with families to stop the spread because people are not going to mask indoors.
Having the stores open was supposed to be where it's all sunshine and rainbows and everyone is supposed to be social distancing. Most patients now are from family get togethers. Dining outdoors is comprised of pop up tents which are basically enclosed increasing the risk of airborne transmission. The leaders who joined them can take a walk off a short pier with a do as I say and not as I do and then dined out sending a giant middle finger to the rest of the people.

Based on the numbers now, the risk assessment by people any those who are able to make their own decisions has backfired in epic proportions. Orange County hospitals are pushing off ambulances and the ambulances can't offload their patients.

Some Orange County ambulances with patients are ‘waiting hours’ for ER beds – Orange County Register

EMTS should not be coding patients for extended periods of time in the field. It's dangerous for them and if we start losing them, response time falls off and people die. It's just careless.

Can't wait to see what XMAS brings.

Sorry up front, a little grumpy today. Just finished 3 shifts and watching this all unfold is nuts.

I'm sure it's frustrating to watch our state in particular--do so well for so long, then just bomb now because of recklessness.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than being one of the areas bombed at the start, at least they had the plausible deniability of 'what is this,' this phase is just widespread ignorance/carelessness.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If one doesn't trust others, or doesn't trust themselves, that person is free to quarantine themselves.

That can only go so far, especially in a public health crisis. Just like the right to defend oneself. Or driving on the freeway in socal, haha. Other's rights are a consideration, 'freedom' has some boundaries.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That can only go so far, especially in a public health crisis. Just like the right to defend oneself. Or driving on the freeway in socal, haha. Other's rights are a consideration, 'freedom' has some boundaries.
thing is, events like self-defense are continually brought up in courts of law and those decisions are argued and balanced daily, unchecked executive orders need to be questioned and challenged lest we venture too far away from the purpose of a democratic republic. the argument is a good thing

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
thing is, events like self-defense are continually brought up in courts of law and those decisions are argued and balanced daily, unchecked executive orders need to be questioned and challenged lest we venture too far away from the purpose of a democratic republic. the argument is a good thing

Agreed, the argument and evolving dialogue is a plus. Saying 'f*** it' and letting it all go free unchecked isn't the answer any more than an overreaching executive order is (and man am I ever annoyed that we have become even relatively okay with ANY politician stepping out and issuing EOs like there's no tomorrow).

Reactions: tny760

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Agreed, the argument and evolving dialogue is a plus. Saying 'f*** it' and letting it all go free unchecked isn't the answer any more than an overreaching executive order is (and man am I ever annoyed that we have become even relatively okay with ANY politician stepping out and issuing EOs like there's no tomorrow).
True, if you look at some of my earlier posts I am not for letting COVID-19 go unchecked. I prefer testing and quarantining where the virus actually is spreading most rapidly. It isn't spreading rapidly in schools, hair salons, and restaurants. It is spreading most rapidly in places of employment where people work in crowded conditions and in households where people are living in crowded conditions.

Some may not like the population demographic to which this simple fact points, but do we want to address the issue or not?

Meanwhile, you have bureaucrats like this idiot destroying business and the livelihoods of people, because he was trying to send a message.

California judge says L.A. officials 'arbitrarily' set outdoor dining ban

California Health and Human Services Agency Secretary Mark Ghaly on Tuesday acknowledged the state’s regional prohibition on outdoor dining has more to do with preventing gatherings and limiting movement than the activity itself.

“The decision to include among other sectors outdoor dining and limiting that — turning to restaurants to deliver and provide takeout options instead — really has to do with the goal of trying to keep people at home, not a comment on the relative safety of outdoor dining,” he said at a press briefing.

“We have worked hard with that industry to create safer ways for outdoor dining to happen — to keeping tables further apart, to ensuring masking happens as much as possible, to create opportunities for air circulation to continue — all of those factors make sectors like outdoor dining lower risk,” he said.

So, if the goal is to keep people at home, why are the big box stores open? The inconsistency and stupidity, along with the hypocrisy of these people is overwhelming. Is it any wonder why people are no longer listening to them?

It's simple. If you are at risk, stay home. If you are not at risk, and are out and about, stay the hell away from your family, friends and neighbors who are at risk.

Again, the biggest issue is working and living in crowded environments. These things can seem to be unavoidable and is where the money should be spent on frequent testing and quarantine facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
New COVID thread. Another thread to ignore.

I stay at hone and work from home. My friend's mother died a couple weeks from it.

I was hospitalized and had what felt like my brain getting scraped for COVID symptoms. Luckily I tested negative.

I have no "respectful disagreements" for anyone who either wants to open up or feels only the at-risk people should stay home, as if upholding the public health isn't a collective responsibility.

People are dying everyday. Even survivors are facing potentially lifelong consequences.

Enjoy the thread. I look forward to ignoring the next one, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->