General COVID-19 Talk #4 MOD Warning

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
went grocery shopping at ralphs and costco and didn't get questioned once for not wearing a mask, that was... pleasant. ralphs had a sign that said "fully vaccinated customers do not need a mask" and the guy at costco's door didn't question me

surprising number of people still wearing masks, probably 80%+ of people. guess maybe they don't know, are afraid to, or aren't vaccinated. who knows.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
went grocery shopping at ralphs and costco and didn't get questioned once for not wearing a mask, that was... pleasant. ralphs had a sign that said "fully vaccinated customers do not need a mask" and the guy at costco's door didn't question me

surprising number of people still wearing masks, probably 80%+ of people. guess maybe they don't know, are afraid to, or aren't vaccinated. who knows.

I've gotten pretty used to smiling with my eyes while mouthing "f*** off" behind my mask that I'm concerned what will happen if I forget I'm not wearing it any more.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I went to a funeral this morning and then a reception afterwards .

I was expecting about 50% of people to still be wearing masks. f*** was I wrong.
Out of about 80-100 people at the service. 4 had masks. 7 people did show up late near the end and they all had them.

I saw 1 person at the reception wearing a mask.

I then drove to work. I saw one person wearing a mask while driving and I saw one person in the parking lot next to me talking to an unmasked person (even though it is f***ing 99 degrees out there)

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I live out near Palm Springs and I see people wear masks while driving all the time. This last weekend I saw a guy on the freeway in a convertible with the top down wearing a mask!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I suspect a lot of people are just 'feeling out' comfort levels.

I know I still carry mine just in case, you never know when a random private business will still ask.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I feel like over the past year I'm just used to wearing masks. I know a lot of people are sick of wearing them, but I'm perfectly fine wearing them for them for a little while longer

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I dunno, I’m fully vaccinated and still wearing a mask indoors (not at home obviously but when out and about). My wife and I haven’t had so much as a sniffle in a year and a half and neither of my kids have had more than a runny nose. Makes you wonder if we shouldn’t be doing more of this during regular flu season but we all know how even suggesting that would work out.

Georgia man fatally shoots cashier, injures deputy over face mask dispute

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I suspect a lot of people are just 'feeling out' comfort levels.

I know I still carry mine just in case, you never know when a random private business will still ask.
yeah i mean i had mine in my pocket cause i didn't feel like getting in that argument that early, but i just briefly checked the signs at the doors anyway and all 3 had some variation of "wear a mask unless you're vaccinated"

i imagine that has a lot to do with the chain stores having all their ducks in a row ahead of time but some restaurants/small businesses might still be a tossup

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I have been out traveling a bit lately. Most people in the country are no longer wearing masks.

I don't recall if I said it in this thread but i was in Vegas a few weeks back and I walked in wearing a mask the weekend they completely removed restrictions (for 'vaccinated people' aka everyone since no one is gonna ask) and I was getting shot knives from eyes :laugh:

I dunno, I’m fully vaccinated and still wearing a mask indoors (not at home obviously but when out and about). My wife and I haven’t had so much as a sniffle in a year and a half and neither of my kids have had more than a runny nose. Makes you wonder if we shouldn’t be doing more of this during regular flu season but we all know how even suggesting that would work out.

Georgia man fatally shoots cashier, injures deputy over face mask dispute

I've seen a lot of that. I'd wonder what effect that actually has on your immune system. Like, I WANT my kid to get the usual colds and germs going around.

yeah i mean i had mine in my pocket cause i didn't feel like getting in that argument that early, but i just briefly checked the signs at the doors anyway and all 3 had some variation of "wear a mask unless you're vaccinated"

i imagine that has a lot to do with the chain stores having all their ducks in a row ahead of time but some restaurants/small businesses might still be a tossup

That's a good point. The local businesses have been 'f*** you' about it for months. Corporate...not so much.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't recall if I said it in this thread but i was in Vegas a few weeks back and I walked in wearing a mask the weekend they completely removed restrictions (for 'vaccinated people' aka everyone since no one is gonna ask) and I was getting shot knives from eyes :laugh:

I've seen a lot of that. I'd wonder what effect that actually has on your immune system. Like, I WANT my kid to get the usual colds and germs going around.

That's a good point. The local businesses have been 'f*** you' about it for months. Corporate...not so much.
Yeah the idea that adult immune systems suddenly stop working if you don’t get exposed is nonsense made up by people who don’t want to be told what to do. Your body doesn’t forget. Kids however seem to be a different story and early exposure builds the immunity they carry with them for life.

Except for the first couple months of the pandemic when everything was closed my kids have been in daycare with 40ish other kids, swapping spit and eating dirt. As I mentioned outside of a few sniffles which probably were allergies they haven’t been sick at all.

Not sure what that means long term but honestly I’m more concerned about the life experience side of things. A few months ago my 3yo was THRILLED to go to Home Depot. :)

killermiller

Kings Fan
Feb 7, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just for comparison, where I live (Winnipeg) everything has been closed/restricted for a long while now. Just this week we lifted our outdoor gathering ban and now up to 5 people can gather outside together (from 2 different households if on private property)

Our TPR has finally dropped from 13%+ to 9%ish recently and our ICU's are finally stabilizing a bit, previously we hit max capacity and were sending patients to neighboring provinces.

Vaccine rollout has been pretty good though, we hit over 70% of the 12+ population of Manitoba have gotten 1 or more doses, and 2nd doses are climbing really fast. I think Canada as a whole is leading in 1st doses worldwide (65+% of all Canadians)

Just personally i'm just so mentally tired of this, really tough not being able to see my brother that lives a province over even for a bit. I can't even go to the bar with friends to watch the playoffs or anything. They announced a reopening plan that should start on July 1st at the latest, don't see us being fully open for at least a couple months though.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Just for comparison, where I live (Winnipeg) everything has been closed/restricted for a long while now. Just this week we lifted our outdoor gathering ban and now up to 5 people can gather outside together (from 2 different households if on private property)

Our TPR has finally dropped from 13%+ to 9%ish recently and our ICU's are finally stabilizing a bit, previously we hit max capacity and were sending patients to neighboring provinces.

Vaccine rollout has been pretty good though, we hit over 70% of the 12+ population of Manitoba have gotten 1 or more doses, and 2nd doses are climbing really fast. I think Canada as a whole is leading in 1st doses worldwide (65+% of all Canadians)

Just personally i'm just so mentally tired of this, really tough not being able to see my brother that lives a province over even for a bit. I can't even go to the bar with friends to watch the playoffs or anything. They announced a reopening plan that should start on July 1st at the latest, don't see us being fully open for at least a couple months though.
Sorry to hear that brother.

I know your government works different from ours, but I predict it will be over soon.
Not only do you have excellent vaccination stats, but from what you mentioned and I have read elsewhere, I think Manitoba is going to end up like LA where it pretty much achieved herd immunity. That is two very good things in a pandemic.

Worldometer doesn't break Canada down, so I have to bastardize these a little but let's compare you to CA

These are cases

upload_2021-6-16_13-20-5.png

That steep drop where I drew the sideways T. Is a combo of herd immunity and vaccination

Let's compare it to CA (who obviously had it's second wave much earlier)
upload_2021-6-16_13-21-44.png

I think you are about where the line is that I drew on the curve.

I do think you should see an light opening on July 1 and I don't think a full opening should be more than a month later .

Even with all of these restrictions, count your blessings.
You have zoom, you have food and beer delivery , and you are healthy

Hang in there. It is almost over

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-16_13-18-58.png
    upload_2021-6-16_13-18-58.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 1

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Just checking back in.

To recap, I got my first Pfizer dose a little over 3 weeks ago. I had ZERO side effects other than some mild soreness in my arm.

Got my second Pfizer dose on Saturday morning. Late Saturday night, I started to develop a bad headache, fatigue, and very sore arm. Around 4am Sunday morning, I woke up with a fever (101f), and severe chills/body aches. Took some Tylenol and went back to sleep.

Woke up late Sunday morning. Fever was gone. Chills/body aches were gone. But I had a terrible headache. Took some more Tylenol mid-Sunday afternoon, which took the edge off. By late Sunday night, the headache was beginning to subside, and I started to feel somewhat "back to normal."

Monday, only mild general lethargy remained. Headache was mostly gone. Went to work but left a bit early just because I was still feeling slightly out of it.

Now it's Tuesday, and basically all symptoms have subsided. I still have very mild tenderness/soreness at injection site on my arm. But other than that, I feel 100% back to normal.

Just posting this in case anyone else is nervous/curious as to how these mRNA vaccines are actually affecting people. The second shot definitely sucked more than the first, but the side effects came and went so fast it was like I barely experienced them at all. I'm just over 72 hours removed from the second dose and I feel totally fine other than the mild soreness still in my arm.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Just checking back in.

To recap, I got my first Pfizer dose a little over 3 weeks ago. I had ZERO side effects other than some mild soreness in my arm.

Got my second Pfizer dose on Saturday morning. Late Saturday night, I started to develop a bad headache, fatigue, and very sore arm. Around 4am Sunday morning, I woke up with a fever (101f), and severe chills/body aches. Took some Tylenol and went back to sleep.

Woke up late Sunday morning. Fever was gone. Chills/body aches were gone. But I had a terrible headache. Took some more Tylenol mid-Sunday afternoon, which took the edge off. By late Sunday night, the headache was beginning to subside, and I started to feel somewhat "back to normal."

Monday, only mild general lethargy remained. Headache was mostly gone. Went to work but left a bit early just because I was still feeling slightly out of it.

Now it's Tuesday, and basically all symptoms have subsided. I still have very mild tenderness/soreness at injection site on my arm. But other than that, I feel 100% back to normal.

Just posting this in case anyone else is nervous/curious as to how these mRNA vaccines are actually affecting people. The second shot definitely sucked more than the first, but the side effects came and went so fast it was like I barely experienced them at all. I'm just over 72 hours removed from the second dose and I feel totally fine other than the mild soreness still in my arm.

Now we just need to get you a Golden Knights fandom vaccine and you'll be all set ;)

Reactions: Schrute farms

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The bolded part means that you didn't previously have Covid.

Those of us that got it, had a reaction on the first dose since our body had seen the virus before
The first shot kicked my ass. I got brain fog about an hour later. I woke up the next morning to a fever and body aches that were gone 8 hours later.

I think, with me, the arm soreness was due to the souless ginger that gave me the shot. I bruised from it and it was one of those bruises from Jr High when your "friend" would walk by and punch you in the arm as hard as they could.

I had zero side effects from the second shot, including no dead arm or bruise.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Just checking back in.

My wife and I got our 2nd (Pfizer) shot last Wednesday. So 3 days before you. Neither of us had side effects from the 1st shot (except for arm soreness). But what you described as your 2nd shot side effects mirror my wife's. As for me, I had it less -- 20 hours after the shot I got a mild headache, some fatigue and general head fog that lasted about 24 hours and then gone. Occasionally felt a little head fogginess for 1-2 days but that might have been the strong cider I was drinking.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Those side effects from the vaccine sound worse than it was for me and my family when we actually got covid. But tbh I think we had it first back in February of 2020 and then got it again Christmas time of 2020 when we tested positive, which is why it was so mild for us, who knows.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Those side effects from the vaccine sound worse than it was for me and my family when we actually got covid. But tbh I think we had it first back in February of 2020 and then got it again Christmas time of 2020 when we tested positive, which is why it was so mild for us, who knows.
what were your symptoms?
Just lost of taste and smell?

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
what were your symptoms?
Just lost of taste and smell?
Well when I think I got it, it was a pretty bad respiratory flu like illness. It took me a while to shake and even at the time my family and I were talking about how weird it was. When I actually tested positive for it the second time I didn't have any loss of smell or taste. Just some body aches and maybe a mild fever. Lasted a day or two was nothing. Only reason we even went to get a test is because my kids play youth sports and we didn't want to spread it if we had it.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

I mean, to be fair, my vaccine side effects lasted less than 48 hours. :shrug:

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad