Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Cases over 50:(

Hosp up 1 but ICU down 4

upload_2021-5-28_12-44-2.png

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm curious, for anyone who happens to have knowledge of this, how the current numbers stand against normal items (flu, cold, pneumonia, etc.) we've lived/dealt with annually over the years without any disruption or national emergency? In a vacuum, you see some people dying and in hospital, and you think wow that sucks and we need to end this problem. But in reality, the numbers are so low percentage wise to the population. There are many things (cancer, heart attack, blood clots, drunk drivers, pain killers/drugs, etc.) that kill and/or hospitalize in higher numbers each year than the current numbers for Covid. Granted, it could go back up like it was over the winter. But let's say it stays around but at the current level. Am i right in thinking it's a manageable illness? In a perfect world we eradicate it completely; but if we do not, is it the THAT BAD at the current level? I'm not meaning this is a koo-koo, conspiracy internet guy way -- but just asking in general to someone who really knows the health impact to society as compared to other items that we had pre-CV19 and lived our lives without freaking out daily accordingly with such risks.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm curious, for anyone who happens to have knowledge of this, how the current numbers stand against normal items (flu, cold, pneumonia, etc.) we've lived/dealt with annually over the years without any disruption or national emergency? In a vacuum, you see some people dying and in hospital, and you think wow that sucks and we need to end this problem. But in reality, the numbers are so low percentage wise to the population. There are many things (cancer, heart attack, blood clots, drunk drivers, pain killers/drugs, etc.) that kill and/or hospitalize in higher numbers each year than the current numbers for Covid. Granted, it could go back up like it was over the winter. But let's say it stays around but at the current level. Am i right in thinking it's a manageable illness? In a perfect world we eradicate it completely; but if we do not, is it the THAT BAD at the current level? I'm not meaning this is a koo-koo, conspiracy internet guy way -- but just asking in general to someone who really knows the health impact to society as compared to other items that we had pre-CV19 and lived our lives without freaking out daily accordingly with such risks.
I actually saw an article out this very thing the other day. I'll see if I can find it.

I think it was titled something along the lines of accepting covid or when does it become normal.

I couldn't find the exact article, but this is close

How the Covid pandemic ends: Scientists look to the past to see the future

If the pattern holds, and it is expected to, SARS-2 will at some point join a handful of human coronaviruses that cause colds, mainly in the winter, when conditions favor their transmission.

“There’s nothing — there’s nothing — including the virus variants, that suggests we couldn’t be out of the acute phase already,” she told STAT in a recent interview. “Because this is controllable.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

Well a few points.

A bad flu season will be about 50k deaths like in 2015. Usually hangs out in the 30k range in a normal year. Covid was about 500k.
Pneumonia depends on the type. Aspiration Pneumonia is when somebody chokes on food and I couldn't really count those because those are human caused.
Community Acquired Pneumonia happens and is a big killer but the focus with C19 is different because it leads to ARDS which is a whole syndrome which basically blows the lungs out the back door and fills them up with fluid, makes them fibrotic so they don't work well after. A regular pneumonia is usually treated with antibiotics if bacterial in nature and most often does not go down the same path.

Going into the management Side of things....

A lot has to do with all the precautions we take. Gowning up and down every time we go in the room, N95, mask, goggles and shield if they are intubated. If they are not I wear a mask plus a PAPR which is respirator. All the PPE costs money and time so we have to limit the numbers of patients the staff can take. Then you need more staffing to turn and prone the patient usually takes 3 to 4 people to do. When we run dialysis, these patients become 1:1 ratio while in a normal world I can take 2 pneumonias who are both intubated and sedated prior they are stable and not in active sepsis. But I would have resources to help.

With Covid, it's different because it takes up a lot of resources and staff to manage that 1 patient and they really can't be doubled in the ICU unless they are not intubated because when they drop, they drop fast and hard and you need to be in the room so it's not feasible nor safe to be doubling these patients without risk of harming the patient.

With normal flu, the PPE is just a simple mask and a shield but since COVID is treated as airborne in the hospital, it's a different type of set of precaution and work to get them up. I've had covid patients for over a month while a flu or a regular pneumonia will be much much faster than that.

In a nutshell, it's the time, resources and staffing and the effects long term are more significant. We are now getting post C19 patients or Long Covid and they are having some obvious struggles due to long term respiratory instability as well as cardiac/overall reconditioning. They also take up hospital beds for a longer period of time.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Getting my second dose of Pfizer this Thursday. Wish me luck, guys. I had almost zero reactions to the first dose other than slight soreness of the arm. But still. So much misinformation and horror stories out there about the vaccines. Hard to not let that stuff get to you.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Getting my second dose of Pfizer this Thursday. Wish me luck, guys. I had almost zero reactions to the first dose other than slight soreness of the arm. But still. So much misinformation and horror stories out there about the vaccines. Hard to not let that stuff get to you.
You should do just fine. Drink a bunch of water the day before and then have a gatorade after the shot and maybe one the next AM

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually had a worse reaction to the 1st one than the 2nd.

The 2nd one I took the day before I left for Vegas lol. I was fine throughout the day, then had about 3 hours overnight where I was hot hot hot, then I was groggy on the road to Vegas, woke up completely fine on Friday.

Now I'm ready to lick all the doorknobs and open mouth kiss everything.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I have my 2nd on Wednesday. Honestly, i didn't want to get the vaccine. But wife & I were tired of being home and needed to get our kids out to enjoy the world again. So begrudgingly got it just for some peace of mind...and I simply pushed down my CV vaccine concerns/issues far deep inside my brain (like my dislike of Rob Blake) to hopefully never resurface ;)

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
My first dose my arm was sore for like a day and a half. Got my 2nd dose a couple weeks ago and I didn't even have any kind of soreness at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad