Namestnikov- let go
Nieto $2M
Jost $2M
Nichushkin $2M

Zadorov - let go
Graves $3M
Byrom $925K
Timmons $925K

Add Hall at $8M and another roster player and you are now tight to the cap. All of those salary estimates are on the low end as well.

Move to the 2021-22 season and you have to re-sign -
Landeskog- currently making $5.5M
Makar - currently making $880K
Grubauer - currently making $3.3M
Calvert - currently making $2.8M
Bellemare- currently making $1.8M
Cole - currently making $4.25M

That's certainly manageable but it will mean that they will already have to start trading their quality depth players. Once you start moving quality depth for cap space the next move is to start trading prospects and draft picks to replace that depth at the trade deadline. Once that starts, the team usually starts heading in the other direction.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You add Hall, you can let Burakovsky go pretty easily, especially since they'd be getting an asset for him.

Newhook coming in is Kadri going out. Byram coming in is Johnson going out. That's a lot of cap gained.

It's quality depth being replaced by blue-chip prospects, which isn't an abnormal problem for any team.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
$22M in space need to re-sign or replace-
Burakovsky $4M
Namestnikov- let go
Nieto $2M
Jost $2M
Nichushkin $2M

Zadorov - let go
Graves $3M
Byrom $925K
Timmons $925K

Add Hall at $8M and another roster player and you are now tight to the cap. All of those salary estimates are on the low end as well.

Move to the 2021-22 season and you have to re-sign -
Landeskog- currently making $5.5M
Makar - currently making $880K
Grubauer - currently making $3.3M
Calvert - currently making $2.8M
Bellemare- currently making $1.8M
Cole - currently making $4.25M

That's certainly manageable but it will mean that they will already have to start trading their quality depth players. Once you start moving quality depth for cap space the next move is to start trading prospects and draft picks to replace that depth at the trade deadline. Once that starts, the team usually starts heading in the other direction.
They're one of the few teams that will actually benefit from the expansion draft.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You add Hall, you can let Burakovsky go pretty easily, especially since they'd be getting an asset for him.

Newhook coming in is Kadri going out. Byram coming in is Johnson going out. That's a lot of cap gained.

It's quality depth being replaced by blue-chip prospects, which isn't an abnormal problem for any team.
There's zero value in dumping a $4M Burakovsky to make room for a $8M Hall.
Expecting Newhook to be able to replace Kadri at 20 years old is quite a stretch.
Byram is already penciled into the lineup. You could probably replace Johnson for cheaper than he makes, but you're not likely to improve an already bad defense by making those kinds of moves.

Colorado can definitely make it work without losing any really important pieces, but I don't think it helps their future at all. Would certainly put them among the favorites next season. Pietrangelo ending up in Colorado would be a real problem for the rest of the NHL. IMO

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's zero value in dumping a $4M Burakovsky to make room for a $8M Hall.
Expecting Newhook to be able to replace Kadri at 20 years old is quite a stretch.
Byram is already penciled into the lineup. You could probably replace Johnson for cheaper than he makes, but you're not likely to improve an already bad defense by making those kinds of moves.

Colorado can definitely make it work without losing any really important pieces, but I don't think it helps their future at all. Would certainly put them among the favorites next season. Pietrangelo ending up in Colorado would be a real problem for the rest of the NHL. IMO

Disagree on Hall/Burakovsky.
If Newhook is the player that a lot of people think he is, then it won't be long, especially if he's insulated by playing next to guys of Hall's or Landeskog's caliber vs. Burakovsky's.
The defense improves as Makar and Girard age and gain experience, same as Dumba not being the same defensive player at 24/25 that he was at 20/21/22.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Good point. I don’t know how after all these years of drafting we haven’t been able to draft a player of Barzal’s caliber (hold Gaborik) Just unlucky, honestly
I’d also say some of our good hits have been on the D side too. Imagine if we drafted someone the quality of spurgeon, Brodin or Dumba but as a forward?

probably not Barzal’s impact, but a top forward that would be on pretty much any teams top6 or top line.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I feel an immense dread coming of Colorado getting knocked out and pulling a golden state and begging Hall and Pietrangelo to take a short and cheap contract to form a super team. Hell maybe they try to get Lehner in too.

However super teams don’t work as well in hockey as it does in other sports. I don’t really see this happening but the Aves bandwagon would get unbearable.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I feel an immense dread coming of Colorado getting knocked out and pulling a golden state and begging Hall and Pietrangelo to take a short and cheap contract to form a super team. Hell maybe they try to get Lehner in too.

However super teams don’t work as well in hockey as it does in other sports. I don’t really see this happening but the Aves bandwagon would get unbearable.
colorado fans are already unbearable.

Reactions: HotDish

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Taking a short contract is inadvisable. One serious injury, or a drastic downturn in production, and you're SOL. The only players UFA that take short contracts are those who are trying to reestablish their rep, or very old players who don't want to play much longer. That description doesn't fit Hall or Pie.

I hope the Avs sign Hall to a big, long term contract.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The Stars had a chance to send the Avs home, instead the cowboys didn't show up tonight.

Hockey is an interesting game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad