TV: Game of Thrones | Season 7 | Part VII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Dany/Tyrion scene was incredible. He's trying to find a way to bring about democracy, in some manner, to Westeros.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
It's all on Martin. B&W didn't sign up to fill in the blanks on his work. It's fine to call out the writing, but they had source material for 5+ seasons and now they have Coles notes.

No it's on the show writers. Unlike them, Martin puts care into his work. I've seen fan fictions (which this show basically is right now) written better. They could of spliced some other source material not in the show yet into it to flesh it out. If you aren't good enough to fill in the blanks then you shouldn't be writing

Apr 28, 2010
Hes terrified of fire, and just encountered a zombie for the the first time in his life.

A flaming zombie bear is enough for me to believe hed be a little slow to react.

Makes sense.

He has always froze when faced with fire.

I know. Just thought maybe he already kinda got over it when Thoros made him look into the fire where he saw the arrowhead mountain.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Triggered much? :laugh: im saying just try to enjoy the show. The writing has slipped from seasons past but it doesn't make things less enjoyable.

So why tell people on a message board what that can or cannot discuss. It's beyond stupid. You're not even offering anything to this thread aside from complaining about people discussing the show.

I absolutely despise the "it's about dragons and magic excuse.." I'm a Sci-Fi fan and it's not an excuse for a show breaking the rules it created for it's world and characters. It doesn't excuse shotty writing and the last two episodes are def lacking.

Parts are enjoyable, others could have been handled better.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I feel, hope, we hear the night king talk, possibly the last scene of the season. He speaks his first words after watching the wall fall

Also people need to remember that Arya KNOWS Sansa wants to usurp Jon, she knows when people lie and she made that abundantly clear in the you are thinking it now scene

I kind of like the fact they (the Walkers) are still pretty mysterious, with little to no back story. Per the legends they basically wanted to wipe out all humanity, and they're at it again looks like.

Clearly they or the NK had some foresight, with the giant ice spears. The chains I assume were ice bonded by their magic or whatever supernatural powers they have, which still aren't fully explained. They can control the weather, walk through fire, etc. You take out their wights they're back up again in moments.

Lots of eye candy and good conversation tonight, but still another colossal mess of an episode. The lunacy of Gendry running miles and miles, then the raven getting to Dragonstone with the message in hours seemingly, then Danareys returning before a) the team freezes to death or b) doesn't all get wiped out in combat. I know these guys are all bad-***** but come on, there was what, nine of them with the red shirts? And they held off hundreds of wights from all sides, wights that can't be killed with simple stabs to the chest or knocking off heads?

Then Danaryes leaves with all three dragons right? At best we saw two? Where did the third go, unless it was briefly glimpsed in a couple quick shots, I'll have to watch again. And enough with the CGI, budget nonsense. This show's popularity has skyrocketed, the ratings, marketing, merchandise are through the roof. If they're going to do this, do it right, stop short changing crap down the stretch. No Ghost either, not even a mention or a glimpse in Winterfell? Cant afford that but can afford wasting everyone's time with the Stark girls useless squabble.

Hopefully they can tie things up reasonably next week, but the way things have gone it will probably be sloppy and forced like this whole season. It's a shame with as great as the novels were, and six seasons of great TV, they're getting almost comically stupid down the stretch because the producers and actors are tired of what will arguably be for most of them, the highlight of their careers.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kinda hate the Hound in this episode.

He just stood there when Thoros was fighting the dead bear.. smh.

The guy has a massive fear for fire. It was actually one of the more well done writing parts of the episode for him to completely freeze up like that.

He was a complete idiot to be throwing rocks at the whits like he did, but it again kind of goes in line with his character. He doesn't give a **** about what he does really and when something pisses him off he's shown to be able to do things without thinking.

It was also quite hilarious if nothing else.

Beric with his sword is really one of the more badass characters on the show

I'm looking forward to seeing where his story arc goes

Yeah, I love the way he lights up his sword every time in battle. Just looks so badass.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
No it's on the show writers. Unlike them, Martin puts care into his work. I've seen fan fictions (which this show basically is right now) written better. They could of spliced some other source material not in the show yet into it to flesh it out. If you aren't good enough to fill in the blanks then you shouldn't be writing

Disagree. The writers took on the show on the premise of adapting source material. The excellence of the first 5 seasons show their talent in this regard. Look, you can say they're not great original writers, fine, but that's not what they signed up for.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Triggered much? :laugh: im saying just try to enjoy the show. The writing has slipped from seasons past but it doesn't make things less enjoyable.

Yes it does, because the quality if the writing is what made it enjoyable in the first place. The action came later.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
The Dany/Tyrion scene was incredible. He's trying to find a way to bring about democracy, in some manner, to Westeros.

An utterly bizarre time to bring up an heir though. She's not even queen of the 7 kingdoms yet, nor does she have a husband. That's talk for when she's an actual ruler. Tyrion needs to step up his game. Most of the good things that's happened for daenerys has been when she hasn't listened to tyrion.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I can understand the negativity surrounding some of the story writing this season. As much as I've enjoyed this season, it does feel rushed.

However, I think it's to be expected. The show has been turning more and more away from fleshed out storylines and into spectacle and shocking moments. With the series nearing an end, things are accelerating and they're taking out a lot of the filler we've seen from the first 3 seasons and jamming in action scene after action scene. I think for my money, season 4 was the best combination of story vs action/spectacle/shock.

I'm still loving this season a lot. I've legit been on the edge of my seat with each episode.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
People realize it's 1000 miles+ from Eastwatch to KL? Guess Ravens never have to stop flying?

Also, if they were 15km from the Wall, they would probably STILL be able to see the Wall and also be in the haunted forest and south of Craster's Keep, if I'm not mistaken.

Guys need to look at a map.

Hard to believe that was and hour long episode, not much happened. I guess they needed Vis to turn into a Wight Dragon and that was what they came up with?

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I know. Just thought maybe he already kinda got over it when Thoros made him look into the fire where he saw the arrowhead mountain.

I'm guessing he's going to be bothered by letting Thoros die due to his fear of fire, and that will help him get over it. His fear of fire has never really cost him anything in the past, it has only motivated him to avoid certain situations.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Disagree. The writers took on the show on the premise of adapting source material. The excellence of the first 5 seasons show their talent in this regard. Look, you can say they're not great original writers, fine, but that's not what they signed up for.

Well boo hoo for them? If they can't do it, they can get someone else to write it.

If they attach their names to the episodes, they are going to get criticized/praised for it. That isn't unfair.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Very minor nitpick: I know they dont want to cover the actors' faces but nobody sane is going to walk in freezing temperatures without at least a hood on.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Well boo hoo for them? If they can't do it, they can get someone else to write it.

If they attach their names to the episodes, they are going to get criticized/praised for it. That isn't unfair.

Fair enough, but while I don't think people should be calling him names on Twitter, the idea Martin is blameless and we should all wait on baited breath for his work is silly.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
People realize it's 1000 miles+ from Eastwatch to KL? Guess Ravens go 200 miles an hour?

Also, if they were 15km from the Wall, they would probably STILL be able to see the Wall and also be in the haunted forest and south of Craster's Keep, if I'm not mistaken.

Guys need to look at a map.

Hard to believe that was and hour long episode, not much happened. I guess they needed Vis to turn into a Wight Dragon and that was what they came up with?
These two points seem kind of contradictory.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There was a lot wrong with this episode, not just the teleportation. People arent nit picking everything, theyre legitmately complaining about something which is managing to break the suspension of disbelief.

That is a problem which should not be ignored.

Well it shouldn't be ignored necessarily. I mean outside of me railing season 5 on a regular basis I've generally been a defender of this show, and I still had to voice my concerns.

But the concerns didn't ruin the experience entirely for me. I will go back and rewatch this episode with a small handful of others. On those rewatches those concerns will bug me, but that's the extent of it. I'm not going to lament the weaker writing since the source material dried up, I'm not gonna let it taint my opinion of the entire show, and I'm just not gonna harp on it. The writing was pretty weak to generate a massive spectacle and it was a satisfying spectacle to watch.

The thing that bothers me is in a fair amount of cases I see a bit of The Force Awakens effect. Anyone who follows the Star Wars threads know I defend TFA (not so much Rogue One). I don't do it because I think it was a flawless movie, I'm well aware it has flaws. But I think there's a culture of naysaying in general that fuels some hardcore nitpicking in both that film and this show. I think there's a difference between raising genuine concerns, as you have (we haven't always agreed but at least you articulate concerns in a way that makes for debate and discourse). But others come in here to just snipe in with a poorly developed complaint and then don't contribute anything to the discussion beyond that. It just feels like it's creating negativity for the sake of dampering others' enjoyment to come of ass edgy or contrarian.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
These two points seem kind of contradictory.

I mean, they could have written an episode with things that happen in a short span of time that doesn't require the former, while providing something engaging that prevents the latter.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC

Then hire some other writers, at least one?

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

The quality of the show went downhill after season 4. I thought season 5 was just awful. If it wasnt for Hardholme I dont think I would remember much from that season.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Fair enough, but while I don't think people should be calling him names on Twitter, the idea Martin is blameless and we should all wait on baited breath for his work is silly.

Trust me, book readers have had a ton of issues with Martin and the fact he cannot seem to get it together and finish the damn series. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad