TV: Game of Thrones | Season 7 | Part VII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
From last thread...

You have to factor in Gendry's time spent running

It was factored in. The guys post basically broke it down as follows.

Gendry takes say ~2 hours to run back to the wall.

Raven takes ~20 hours to get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone at 50MPH(Which is actually conservative, Ravens can fly up to 58 miles per hour)

Dany takes 30 minutes to prepare to leave, and then her and the dragons take ~4-5 hours to get from Dragonstone to just North of Eastwatch.

Basically, it can be done in a little over a days worth of time. And while we dont know exactly how long Jon and them are on the island, we do know for a fact they are there overnight at least.

It's really not that unfathomable at all. At most it's matter of a few hours unrealistic. Nothing compared to Euron's trip from Kings Landing to Casterly Rock IMO.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Ravens can fly faster in cold air as well as the air is much thinner and easier to pierce through/takes less energy to fly.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The extra time really allowed for a classic Thrones episode with some dialogue filling in some blanks.

• Jon and Jorah talk about the Lord Commander and Jon offers the sword back.
  • Gendry gets a "WTF, guys?" moment with the Brotherhood.
  • An entertaining scene with Tormund and The Hound
  • A small quibble, but if you're going to have those scenes, maybe Gendry, or even The Hound, can drop an Arya reference to Jon
  • I had accidentally spoiled myself about the Ice Dragon stuff. Unfortunate, but certainly didn't ruin the episode for me
  • I actually kind of like that the death count for our team of heroes was so short. I was expecting more, and this allows them to save some deaths for the finale and beyond. Also, given the point of the episode was to cement the Jon/Dany connection and holy **** ice dragon stuff, better to not kill off a beloved character and have it get buried amidst a bunch of other storylines.
  • I remain of the view Arya is playing LF. She *literally* played the game of knowing truth from lies - and told her as much - with Sansa. It's ludicrous to think she wouldn't believe Sansa when she told her she wrote the letter, under duress, to save Ned.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I hope Bran steps in at some point and puts an end to the Arya-Sansa infighting. It's really become nothing more than a stupid distraction at this point.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Why would Dany even go help when the whole reason they were in this mess in the first place is because she refused to help?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It was fun. Great dialogue between Jon/Jorah and Jon/Beric and the lighthearted stuff between the Hound/Tormund and the BOB/Gendry and Tormund/Gendry.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think this was the single most eventful episode of the series to date

Dany finally saw the walkers

She lost a dragons

And the Night King has his ice dragon

It's hard to imagine the season finale will top this

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I kinda gotta agree. Based on what is established, but I'm just gonna take it for what it is. You're absolutely right. As a whole that's the flaw.. And it's virtually inexcusable.

Yet I still ate it up and enjoyed it.

So I dunno what to think.

I haven't been this invested since BotB

It's an imperfect episode for a small number of reasons

1.) Rocket powered raven (even if its top speed is 60 mph, how do you motivate a Raven to fly that fast for that far...though in all honesty the idea that you can send a raven somewhere and it will know exactly where to go is a bit silly to begin with if you think about it. When carrier pigeons were used IIRC, the messages were sent in large numbers and were encrypted)

2.) Arya/Sansa bs. I haven't been as hard on Sansa as others, and I still feel she was more in the right here, but this was such a massive waste of time. And I know it's supposed to lead into some kind of big event at Winterfell but like season 5's plotlines, it's been a sloppy road to whatever it is.

3.) Jon being a plot device for the death of Benjen. Even in the visual execution of events you just get the sense that he didn't stay behind for any reason but for a plot purpose.

Still I thought the episode was a lot of fun. Better than the dragging and wasted storylines of season 5. I feel that was the true weakpoint of the series. Season 6 was better but not best. This season has been good yet rushed. This was the most disappointing episode to me but also the most fun. I can forgive the weak writing for the spectacle I got. Despite its deficiencies, it's an episode I can go back to for entertainment.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
How many Red Shirts did Jon bring with him? At least two I think.

So the body count from that expedition was Thoros and two Redshirts. I thought Beric and possibly Jorah were going to go too.

I guess the dragon and the Other Jon killed even each other out.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think this was the single most eventful episode of the series to date

Dany finally saw the walkers

She lost a dragons

And the Night King has his ice dragon

It's hard to imagine the season finale will top this

And Thoros and BenJen die.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
From last thread...

It was factored in. The guys post basically broke it down as follows.

Gendry takes say ~2 hours to run back to the wall.

Raven takes ~20 hours to get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone at 50MPH(Which is actually conservative, Ravens can fly up to 58 miles per hour)

Dany takes 30 minutes to prepare to leave, and then her and the dragons take ~4-5 hours to get from Dragonstone to just North of Eastwatch.

Basically, it can be done in a little over a days worth of time. And while we dont know exactly how long Jon and them are on the island, we do know for a fact they are there overnight at least.

It's really not that unfathomable at all. At most it's matter of a few hours unrealistic. Nothing compared to Euron's trip from Kings Landing to Casterly Rock IMO.

But they walked all night, so I think it would be way more than a 2 hour run

Then consider it's at altitude and the conditions are harsh, and I'm just not sure it's all that realistic

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
This Arya/Sansa plot is so ridiculous.

Can Arya think for two seconds about who Sansa was at the time and her potential for being manipulated? Does she not understand the difference between Sansa at 13 and Lyanna Mormont at 13?

Like, great, you think you are so clever. Maybe use that supposed cleverness to determine the truth instead of make Sansa scared to death of you because you are a homicidal maniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->