Post-Game Talk: | Game # IV | Pens win vs Kings | Goals for Sullys 300th!

Who does ColePens love more

• The Penguins

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Horny

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Connor McENG.... Pens lead the Metro.

Looks like Buffalo will hang on against Calgary, and with Toronto getting the OT win against Dallas, it is now only St.Louis who are at maximum points (but with just 2 games played).

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
+ It's nice having a 2nd Line Defense
+ It's nice having a "safer" more steady 3rd Line Defense
+ We are not allowing a bunch of wide open shots/breakaways (other than our PP... ahhah)

Does it seem like there is 1-2 games a year for Guetz and Rust where they take ever puck, late hit, and friendly fire? I swear this happened in a game or two last year?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
+ It's nice having a 2nd Line Defense
+ It's nice having a "safer" more steady 3rd Line Defense
+ We are not allowing a bunch of wide open shots/breakaways (other than our PP... ahhah)

Does it seem like there is 1-2 games a year for Guetz and Rust where they take ever puck, late hit, and friendly fire? I swear this happened in a game or two last year?

Keep thinking about you every time I watch a Petry or Rutta actually box out effectively versus whatever the hell Marino and Matheson used to do.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Only 4 games in but my take on the Pens is that they will win the cup if they get the good version of Petry for the playoffs. Round 1 exit if they get the bad.

First period was heinous BUT I thought the team did an ok job of in-zone defending relative to how much possession LA had. Still you don’t want to play like that. Thank you Jarry.

I like Poehling. I think Arch should sit and when Blueger gets back no reason L4 can’t be very good.

That said- as a McGinn backer… I’m not quite seeing the point of spending 5 mil on he and Blueger. OC-Poehling-Arch could play the same 8 minutes just fine.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
What’s with Carter being able to effortlessly skate that fast as a geriatric? Makes no sense, but it’s fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
When Rakell's playing like this I kinda wonder why he isn't a star (other than his shot being not great). He's so committed and his hands really create stuff. I think his hands and relative size really bring elements L1 needed, as was shown on a not fantastic but effective night for them. Perfect compliment for Death Star 1.
Feet and mentality imo. Dude just doesn’t play like one and is deferential.

His shot is weird, it’s hard and he puts it on cage but he maybe takes too long to pull it? Or doesn’t change the angle of his release well? Idk. I remember some absolute laserbeams from his Anaheim days.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Feet and mentality imo. Dude just doesn’t play like one and is deferential.

His shot is weird, it’s hard and he puts it on cage but he maybe takes too long to pull it? Or doesn’t change the angle of his release well? Idk. I remember some absolute laserbeams from his Anaheim days.

He actually had a year in Anaheim where he was looking like a rocket Richard winner for the first few months.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Only 4 games in but my take on the Pens is that they will win the cup if they get the good version of Petry for the playoffs. Round 1 exit if they get the bad.

First period was heinous BUT I thought the team did an ok job of in-zone defending relative to how much possession LA had. Still you don’t want to play like that. Thank you Jarry.

I like Poehling. I think Arch should sit and when Blueger gets back no reason L4 can’t be very good.

That said- as a McGinn backer… I’m not quite seeing the point of spending 5 mil on he and Blueger. OC-Poehling-Arch could play the same 8 minutes just fine.

It's really a night and day difference when you have a guy like Petry on your 2nd pair. I think the 2nd line is mostly playing great because of Malkin and Zucker finally being healthy, but I don't think you can dismiss the impact Petry is having from playing behind those guys. A 1-2 punch of Letang and Petry on the back end is a downright deadly duo offensively.

I've said this multiple times, but I think Petry is the best non-Letang defenseman the Penguins have had since Gonchar if Petry plays like he should.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's really a night and day difference when you have a guy like Petry on your 2nd pair. I think the 2nd line is mostly playing great because of Malkin and Zucker finally being healthy, but I don't think you can dismiss the impact Petry is having from playing behind those guys. A 1-2 punch of Letang and Petry on the back end is a downright deadly duo offensively.

I've said this multiple times, but I think Petry is the best non-Letang defenseman the Penguins have had since Gonchar if Petry plays like he should.

Let’s not forget how effective Rutta is in his role too. I said it to start the season solidifying the RD with size was huge and pay a ton in the regular season but especially the playoffs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Just watched replay.

Now a couple games where we aren't carrying the play...it's worth noting.
That said, the guys cashed in. Superb performance by Jarry, and I thought Zuck, Kappy and Rakell really stood out up front. I like Poehling; he was a good get as the supporting character of the Math/Petry trade.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just watched replay.

That said, the guys cashed in. Superb performance by Jarry, and I thought Zuck, Kappy and Rakell really stood out up front. I like Poehling; he was a good get as the supporting character of the Math/Petry trade.

Nice Aho cados

Lies, damn lies, and statistics in very small sample sizes, but ZMR are at a mere 65 xGF% with Petry behind them, and that goes to 93.57 without him. If anything, he's slowing them down.

The stupid ass announcers asking why Petry was playing more minutes than Letang drives me insane.

Reactions: Rave7215

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lies, damn lies, and statistics in very small sample sizes, but ZMR are at a mere 65 xGF% with Petry behind them, and that goes to 93.57 without him. If anything, he's slowing them down.

I think that likely falls in a small sample size category. Over a full season, I think we'll end up seeing the positive impact another offensively dynamic defenseman has on that 2nd line. At minimum, Petry is such a good goal scorer that Malkin would get more points based on that alone.

I think it's mostly clicking because of Zucker, Malkin and Rust, but I think you'd see a big difference overall with Pettersson-Petry behind it instead of Pettersson-Marino or whatever the alternative would be.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just watched replay.

We don’t need no stinking play carrying if our team shooting % is at like 20%…lol

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think that likely falls in a small sample size category. Over a full season, I think we'll end up seeing the positive impact another offensively dynamic defenseman has on that 2nd line. At minimum, Petry is such a good goal scorer that Malkin would get more points based on that alone.

I think it's mostly clicking because of Zucker, Malkin and Rust, but I think you'd see a big difference overall with Pettersson-Petry behind it instead of Pettersson-Marino or whatever the alternative would be.

Ehhh. Yeah, it's probably going to shift over a season. Given how the current best d pairing behind the Death Star 2 is POJ-Rutta, I think Pettersson-Marino would be fine. Marino-Malkin always worked very well.

I like Petry. I'm glad he's here. He brings easy goals at their end and physicality at ours. Just... the stats says he's not having an impact on Death Star 2 and something about the eye test that I can't put my finger on agrees. Tbh Malkin doing better with dmen that don't insert themselves big time into the play than the others that do is nothing new over the past five years or so imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if over the year we see Petry doing okay but Geno's best results coming without him.

Also
a) I should stop calling our top 2 lines Death Star 1 and Death Star 2 as the hubris will invite disaster, but watching them run over teams is too much fun not to get carried away
b) Right now ZMR are literally just doing what the stats say they should, only the goalies have saved them a goal over. Which is ridiculous. The level they dominate the puck at is ridiculous, and the amount they'll score if they start scoring like you know they can is even more ridiculous. And it is really is mostly just those three forwards.

And by they I mean primarily Bryan Rust.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They have reached impressive new levels of insufferability this season. It's like they're proud of how little they know.

Getzoff and bOurque should be the tv guys.
Ehhh. Yeah, it's probably going to shift over a season. Given how the current best d pairing behind the Death Star 2 is POJ-Rutta, I think Pettersson-Marino would be fine. Marino-Malkin always worked very well.

I like Petry. I'm glad he's here. He brings easy goals at their end and physicality at ours. Just... the stats says he's not having an impact on Death Star 2 and something about the eye test that I can't put my finger on agrees. Tbh Malkin doing better with dmen that don't insert themselves big time into the play than the others that do is nothing new over the past five years or so imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if over the year we see Petry doing okay but Geno's best results coming without him.

Also
a) I should stop calling our top 2 lines Death Star 1 and Death Star 2 as the hubris will invite disaster, but watching them run over teams is too much fun not to get carried away
b) Right now ZMR are literally just doing what the stats say they should, only the goalies have saved them a goal over. Which is ridiculous. The level they dominate the puck at is ridiculous, and the amount they'll score if they start scoring like you know they can is even more ridiculous. And it is really is mostly just those three forwards.

And by they I mean primarily Bryan Rust.

Yes please

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Would you guys agree with Moneypuck that Jarry deserves to be 21st out of 60 goalies in goals saved above expected?
They have him at +1.0 there. The leader (Oettinger) is at 5.4.

He is .952 right now.

Also we're 23rd in goals for above expected. I don't get it. Today we scored 6 with 9 high danger chances. Kings had 15.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
3-0-1
All 4 games against backups or AHL callups
1-0 against playoff teams (who had their backup in their 2nd of b2b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad