Post-Game Talk: | Game # IV | Pens win vs Kings | Goals for Sullys 300th!

Who does ColePens love more

• The Penguins

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Horny

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also @Peat on Rakell

He has both a top 15 finish and a top 20 finish in goals and a year where he was a top 40 raw point scorer league (37th) wide.

Last year the 37th scorer was DeBrincat for context.

He can do it. I think what you said about being deferential is true.

Also, let's not forget that being on a crap Anaheim team for a long time is not really a reason to bust your gut like he has been with us.

It's a minor criticism now, as we're early on in the season and the team is just clicking. But if the 4th line isn't a line that we can really throw out for more minutes for whatever reasons, I think we should look at shaking it up.

I'm not saying make a trade just to make a trade, but ideally the FO and coaching staff are figuring out what they need from that line or what they want the 4th to be as the games go on and then they make a move for it.

Since the top 6 and the blueline look really good overall this year, I'd hate for us to blow our chances by not icing the very best team we can for that Cinderella ending.

Here's the current 5v5 ice time distribution

1st line - Sid is on 14:10 a night (Rakell a minute ahead for some reason, Guentzel behind probs due to that injury)

2nd line - Geno is on 13 a night (Zucker right with him, Rust has missed a few shifts that Rakell presumably took, maybe post PKs with Rust on them, not that Rust has done more than maybe two)

3rd line - Around 11:30 across the board

4th line - Around 8:10

Yeah, you want your 4th line to be able to take more minutes if needed, but who there are you taking them from? Nobody's playing excessive minutes.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Also, let's not forget that being on a crap Anaheim team for a long time is not really a reason to bust your gut like he has been with us.

1st line - Sid is on 14:10 a night (Rakell a minute ahead for some reason, Guentzel behind probs due to that injury)

2nd line - Geno is on 13 a night (Zucker right with him, Rust has missed a few shifts that Rakell presumably took, maybe post PKs with Rust on them, not that Rust has done more than maybe two)

Yeah, you want your 4th line to be able to take more minutes if needed, but who there are you taking them from? Nobody's playing excessive minutes.
Ideally from the top 6. I’ll grant that last night was skewed because of the penalties. But ideally I want to see the top 6 and Carter get some rest when we’re handing out a 6-1 or 6-0 thrashing, just out of caution. :laugh:

Like I said, it’s a totally minor complaint. :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Pennies and Stars only undefeated in regulation teams remaining.
Penguins only otl has been their only away game. So....... with a stretch of away games here I'm expecting their first L in there. Although last season I, without looking it up, recall they were very good away wise.

Shall see soon. Plus those back to backers man... that has to be brutal. Not even sure why the NHL does b2b games like that... serves little to no purpose outside of upping the injury probability. Remove a 4 or 3 or 2 day off stretch and eliminate as many of the b2b's as possible. No other major (contact) sport does b2b outside of baseball and hockey and baseball is hardly contact.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ideally from the top 6. I’ll grant that last night was skewed because of the penalties. But ideally I want to see the top 6 and Carter get some rest when we’re handing out a 6-1 or 6-0 thrashing, just out of caution. :laugh:

Like I said, it’s a totally minor complaint. :laugh:

Fair, but there's only been two games where we've put the oppo to sleep early - Arizona and LA.

Arizona, Sid played 12:30 at 5v5, Geno 11, they got up to 18 and 16 with PP time but mission accomplished.

LA, Sid played 14:34, Geno 12:18... but with PP its only 16:49 and 15 some, as you mention that game was skewed by penalties.

Tampa was a 2-1 game until early into the 3rd, and Montreal we chased all night.

Wait and see but right now it looks solid.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I haven’t seen all the games but I have to wonder about the POJ hate. He’s seems like a serviceable NHL defenseman.

Maybe a little group think happening?
He’s still not up to snuff when it comes to processing the game at NHL speed. He gets himself into trouble because he thinks he has more time than he does, especially on dump-in retrievals. He also makes an inordinate amount of soft breakout passes that get intercepted when they really shouldn’t.

For the most part, I like his positioning and his ability to know when to jump in to the play. But unless he gets stronger, and ups his urgency level in all situations, I’m not sure if he’ll ever be anything to write home about at this level.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Maybe, but if you only saw this game, you saw by far his best game, because the glaring mistakes have been legion before then. I think most people have given credit for this one.
I saw the first half the opener but valid point

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The team is just rolling right now. Some soft spots here and there and maybe some underlying issues that are being smoothed over but even I can't think of too much to complain about. Which... mark your calendars and all that.

I hesitate to even say it out loud but L2 is just steamrolling the opposition right now. Scary thing is that they haven't even scored nearly as many goals as they look to be entitled to. Which has always kind of been ZMR's thing. What was Malkin like 80% on draws last night? f***in' how?

Reactions: ColePens

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I would play line 4 more a little, since they have been pretty good. But I know they also PK the most. Would love Carter off the PK completely, as he is old and not very good at it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would play line 4 more a little, since they have been pretty good. But I know they also PK the most. Would love Carter off the PK completely, as he is old and not very good at it.

Again, whose minutes are you dropping at 5v5 to get them out there, assuming a close game?

Also I'm totally not against removing Carter from the PK at this point, but the bottom line is already pretty maxed out for minutes there, so those minutes are going to Rust, or maybe Heinen or Zucker.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
And we've officially hit cap crunch.

At this point, if Teddy still can't take contact, he needs to go on LTIR. Back date it, do whatever manipulation you need.

Penguins would have to play with 11 forwards, 7 D against Columbus if Jake and Teddy can't go.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

At this point, if Teddy still can't take contact, he needs to go on LTIR. Back date it, do whatever manipulation you need.

Penguins would have to play with 11 forwards, 7 D against Columbus if Jake and Teddy can't go.

No, they really need to play with 11 forwards and 6 D so that they can get an emergency recall for EDM game and beyond if neither are going to be avail to play…

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

He got stitches in his ear, he’s probably fine.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
No, they really need to play with 11 forwards and 6 D so that they can get an emergency recall for EDM game and beyond if neither are going to be avail to play…
Incorrect.

If you recall last year the Penguins played with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen against the Rangers when Malkin was out sick. Friedman technically served as the 12th forward.

They recalled Bjorkqvist the next day.

They do not have to play with 17 skaters.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He got stitches in his ear, he’s probably fine.
Even if that’s all that it is, they’re going to make sure he’s not concussed…the concussion tests check for symptoms both at rest and after exertion…today was rest, which means they’ll want a day of practice from him to assess him the next day for any signs of concussion symptoms…so what that means is that he isn’t playing tomorrow and he may only be available to play Monday if the team has a practice on Sunday…if they have a day of rest, then he’d be missing both b2b games…ergo Jake is at minimum missing 1-3 games if there’s any doubt he possibly sustained a concussion

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Incorrect.

If you recall last year the Penguins played with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen against the Rangers when Malkin was out sick. Friedman technically served as the 12th forward.

They recalled Bjorkqvist the next day.

They do not have to play with 17 skaters.
ok cool…I thought they had to play one short…but still, I mean do we even have a D who can and should be playing forward for a game and why would you do that? ….certainly not Ruh…Letang and Petey could cut it but they are more needed by this team at D…I’d rather play with 7 D lol…

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
ok cool…I thought they had to play one short…but still, I mean do we even have a D who can and should be playing forward for a game and why would you do that? ….certainly not Ruh…Letang and Petey could cut it but they are more needed by this team at D…I’d rather play with 7 D lol…
The 7th D wouldn't really be playing forward and you wouldn't be rolling four lines.

It'd be more mixing and matching. Play 3D on the PK, for example. Play 3D in a defensive zone faceoff. Just to give forwards an extra breather.

And then you also give McGinn, Carter and Kapanen extra shifts with Poehling and Archibald.

Reactions: Andy99

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Anyone got a vid of that?
The media made it sound cooler than it was. I didn’t get to watch the 3rd until today. I saw tweets last night and I thought it would make Zucker look like a badass, but all he really did was wack Lemieux’s stick on a backcheck and his stick rode up into Lemieux’s face and then he gave him a typical crosscheck that you see 20x’s a game.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So with coincidental minors.. how do they determine if it's 4 on 4 or 5 on 5? Also, can you coincidental minors down to 3 on 3?

As i understand it... If the minors occur between two players in the same specific event (player a slashes player b, player b then immediately purposefully trips player a) , it stays 5v5.

You only drop to 4v4 if the penalties were unrelated. Like team a high sticks team b, then during the delayed penalty time, team b ends up roughing team a.

You can coincidental down to 3, sure. It would be chaos. Sounds like a pens flyers thing.

Or I'm way off. Refs don't know either, anyway.
The way it was taught to me was it goes to 4-4 for offsetting penalties.

If one team is short handed and coincidental penalties occur, it remains 5-4 and the players need to wait for their penalty time to expire and then for the next stoppage to leave the penalty bow.

It is at the referees discretion based on the severity or escalation of events whether to make it 5-5 to allow the players to cool off and exact longer punishment on them. Two guys in a scrum that just won't stop trying to get at each other, you would give them each 2 minutes because it's just roughing, but make it 5-5 so they would theoretically have to sit longer as opposed to 2 minutes and then right into a fight once out of the box.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The 7th D wouldn't really be playing forward and you wouldn't be rolling four lines.

It'd be more mixing and matching. Play 3D on the PK, for example. Play 3D in a defensive zone faceoff. Just to give forwards an extra breather.

And then you also give McGinn, Carter and Kapanen extra shifts with Poehling and Archibald.
Not Carter please lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad