Post-Game Talk: | Game # IV | Pens win vs Kings | Goals for Sullys 300th!

Who does ColePens love more

• The Penguins

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Horny

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of Hornqvist, I looked up how he's doing in Florida and it seems like he has really fallen off. He's playing 10:50 a night on Florida's 4th line and has 1 point in 4 games. It might just be a depth thing with Florida, but it's kinda crazy how quickly he fell down the depth chart. He was a top-6 forward in the COVID 2021 season only to be a 4th liner today.

I was going to say how good a Heinen-Carter-Hornqvist 3rd line would be today, but man, it seems like Hornqvist is a shell of what he once was.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Live perspective: Pens looked good after a terrible first 10 minutes. Even when the Kings were in control, the Pens were taking away everything in the prime scoring areas.

More importantly, my sister, nephew and I had the time of our lives.

In the 2nd period, my sister was talking about how a fight might happen if the Pens kept scoring and my prediction was that Lemieux would be the guy to start it. Nailed it.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I'm only mad they didn't keep the SO for Jarrs and that for some reason, they *cannot* break the six goal threshold, the bums :rolleyes:😂

That first period was flattering, score-wise. The rest wasn't.
Pro Tip- if you are going to bitch about our loser bums, use a larger font! ;-)

Speaking of Hornqvist, I looked up how he's doing in Florida and it seems like he has really fallen off. He's playing 10:50 a night on Florida's 4th line and has 1 point in 4 games. It might just be a depth thing with Florida, but it's kinda crazy how quickly he fell down the depth chart. He was a top-6 forward in the COVID 2021 season only to be a 4th liner today.

I was going to say how good a Heinen-Carter-Hornqvist 3rd line would be today, but man, it seems like Hornqvist is a shell of what he once was.
That just makes me sad. Inevitable, I guess, but dude never laid out anything less than 100%, damn the torpedos.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
So with coincidental minors.. how do they determine if it's 4 on 4 or 5 on 5? Also, can you coincidental minors down to 3 on 3?
As i understand it... If the minors occur between two players in the same specific event (player a slashes player b, player b then immediately purposefully trips player a) , it stays 5v5.

You only drop to 4v4 if the penalties were unrelated. Like team a high sticks team b, then during the delayed penalty time, team b ends up roughing team a.

You can coincidental down to 3, sure. It would be chaos. Sounds like a pens flyers thing.

Or I'm way off. Refs don't know either, anyway.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Hornqvist is still a solid player. Just incredibly overpaid.

Reactions: Fordy and Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it was this. Petry had 4 HDCA in 2 minutes away from Pettersson, which gave him an xGA of 0.7 away from Pettersson. Frankly, I don't give a shit about a bad shift from an analytics POV when the Pettersson-Petry pair has nearly a 90% xGF in this game and over a 70% xGF% overall.

Oh I'm happy to give a shit and ding the guy. Those chances could have changed the game. Maybe they would have if they hadn't fallen to the Lizotte line and instead to someone talented.

Thing is, without seeing the vids, I don't know whether Petry screwed up and should be thanking Jarry, or if someone else screwed up and Petry's stout defence in a scramble position helped save a goal. The stats says I should really find those couple of minutes and watch if I wanted to really accurately evaluate Petry... but that's it on a per game basis.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Much as I've always wanted to see Zucker get a second bite with Crosby, breaking up arguably the current best line in the NHL to do so is probably not worth it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Much as I've always wanted to see Zucker get a second bite with Crosby, breaking up arguably the current best line in the NHL to do so is probably not worth it.

Yeah, but if you get Zucker - Crosby - Rakell going, we can potentially see Guentzel - Malkin - Rust again.

So I'll take the risk. GMR with Crosby going up front with those two would make this team an absolute powerhouse.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

You could see his decline the later part of his last season here. Those concussions just catch up with you. He's played a hard life. Obviously not worth his hit. Honestly, I'm not sure he opts for another season.

That said - Horny to Matheson to Petry and Poehling, is impressive asset management by JR and Hextall.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I can't decide whether I want Zucker-Crosby-Rakell because it'd throw the "woe is Geno Malkin" crowd into hysterics for stealing Geno's winger now that Zucker-Geno-Rust is killing it. Imagine; Zucker-Crosby-Rakell kills it, Geno has to settle for Heinen-Rust as his wingers. Jake comes back, and instead of sticking with the (hypothetical) killer Zucker-Rakell combo on Sid's line, Sid gets Jake-Rakell again.

*chef's kiss* Beautiful.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also few other thoughts...

Pettersson deserves most of the credit for how he's playing right now. He's shown most of it before. Him and the coaches. But he does seem to find playing with physical dmen easier - and I think that carries over into his confidence. He thrived with JJ and Gudzilla, now he's doing it with Petry. V happy.

Ditto all of that only to lesser extents with POJ and Rutta. Also I don't think I really saw any reason that game you'd rush to get POJ out of your lineup. He's been big error prone, but I don't think I saw that tonight.

When Rakell's playing like this I kinda wonder why he isn't a star (other than his shot being not great). He's so committed and his hands really create stuff. I think his hands and relative size really bring elements L1 needed, as was shown on a not fantastic but effective night for them. Perfect compliment for Death Star 1.

Death Star 2 is obvious. I want the playoffs to start tomorrow so we can play it at full health.

I really like the small defensive touches I'm seeing Kappy bring. I dunno about his consistent nuts and bolts but he's easy to notice. Also he keeps making meaningful objective contributions, albeit against chasing teams.

Poehling keeps flashing real offensive upside.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I can't decide whether I want Zucker-Crosby-Rakell because it'd throw the "woe is Geno Malkin" crowd into hysterics for stealing Geno's winger now that Zucker-Geno-Rust is killing it. Imagine; Zucker-Crosby-Rakell kills it, Geno has to settle for Heinen-Rust as his wingers. Jake comes back, and instead of sticking with the (hypothetical) killer Zucker-Rakell combo on Sid's line, Sid gets Jake-Rakell again.

*chef's kiss* Beautiful.

And then once Zucker inevitably gets injured again, "It's Sid's turn to deal with Nylander and Legare!"

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it’s crazy to me to feel bad for horny for naturally aging into a 4th line role. that was always his end game. he was NEVER supposed to make the nhl let alone ever be a top 6 guy, let alone play with the two best players of his generation. amazing career that he willed himself in to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad