Post-Game Talk: | Game # IV | Pens win vs Kings | Goals for Sullys 300th!

Who does ColePens love more

• The Penguins

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Horny

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I think the thing I like about Rakell is that he can do it all. We've all rolled our eyes for years at the swiss army knife meme but Rakell actually fits, imo. Good hands, good skater, smart, uses his size well. He's not gonna dangle guys or snipe pucks or make passes through 8 legs+sticks but he's just a real solid player.

He's Dominik Simon if Simon actually had the talent to make him a top-6 guy.

I've been really happy with the physicality that I've seen from him while with the Penguins. I always thought of him as a finesse type of winger who could both score goals and set plays up, and he is certainly that. But he has also shown a willingness to go into the dirty areas and grind it out, which I wasn't expecting from him.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
This is a fun game for goalies to play in. Despite the amount of shots Jarry faced, the Penguins didn't really give up a ton of high danger chances. Facing a ton of shots while not having to make incredible saves allows a goalie to get into a nice routine and really helps them perform over a full game.

A 40 save shutout where you're in the rhythm the entire game is easier to accomplish than a 20 save shutout where you're just standing around for minutes at a time.
I don't believe this would stand up to actual statistics. I've seen plenty more low save shutouts than 40+ save shutouts.

Jarry played a rock solid game and has been just like he was last year. One of our best players during the regular season. Just gotta be healthy in the spring.

Reactions: Darren McCord

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Honestly I've grown to care less and less about the analytics for any given game when evaluating how a player did. That chart says Pettersson was downright incredible while Petry was only okay, despite both of them playing together for 99% of the game. How does that make any sense?
I see them both with pretty comparable stats on this chart, except for xGA...which I agree doesn't make much sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't believe this would stand up to actual statistics. I've seen plenty more low save shutouts than 40+ save shutouts.

Jarry played a rock solid game and has been just like he was last year. One of our best players during the regular season. Just gotta be healthy in the spring.

The reason is that teams who give up 40 shots are usually not limiting highly dangerous chances, though.

From a goalie's POV, it's nicer to face a lot of shots because it helps you get into a rhythm. It's no different than any other sport when it comes to a lot of reps.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly I've grown to care less and less about the analytics for any given game when evaluating how a player did. That chart says Pettersson was downright incredible while Petry was only okay, despite both of them playing together for 99% of the game. How does that make any sense?

Pettersson was out there for a shift with incredible stats Petry wasn't. Go to team mates for Pettersson and you could probably work out the shift with time. Edit: or Petry was there for a shit show defensive shift.

I definitely liked our game more than the analytics, although I would like to see L3 shifts again.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I'm only mad they didn't keep the SO for Jarrs and that for some reason, they *cannot* break the six goal threshold, the bums :rolleyes:😂

That first period was flattering, score-wise. The rest wasn't.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I see them both with pretty comparable stats on this chart, except for xGA...which I agree doesn't make much sense.

I just looked up the with/without numbers, it's just a bizarre anomaly:

Pettersson-Petry: 11:58 TOI, 10/9 CF/CA, 3/1 HDCF/HDCA, 0.65/0.09 xGF/xGA, 87.97% xGF%
Pettersson without Petry: 1:51 TOI, 1/2 CF/CA, 1/0 HDCF/HDCA, 0.07/0.08 xGF/xGA, 47.68% xGF%
Petry without Pettersson: 2:16 TOI, 4/5 CF/CA, 0/4 HDCF/HDCA, 0.15/0.7 xGF/xGA, 17.67 xGF%

So the extra xGA that Petry had came from 2 minutes that Petry and Pettersson didn't play together. Yeah, I totally don't believe that 2:16 of TOI results in a 0.7 xGA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pettersson was out there for a shift with incredible stats Petry wasn't. Go to team mates for Pettersson and you could probably work out the shift with time. Edit: or Petry was there for a shit show defensive shift.

I definitely liked our game more than the analytics, although I would like to see L3 shifts again.

I think it was this. Petry had 4 HDCA in 2 minutes away from Pettersson, which gave him an xGA of 0.7 away from Pettersson. Frankly, I don't give a shit about a bad shift from an analytics POV when the Pettersson-Petry pair has nearly a 90% xGF in this game and over a 70% xGF% overall.

Was it a hit that injured Guentzel? I thought he took a shot high from Letang.

Reactions: Peat

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Good win LAK are a pretty solid team although Iafflo was out who is a pretty solid forward for them they looked pretty pedestrian for the 38 SOG they had

The D as a whole played well. POJ Petts Rutta Dumo Tanger, Petry........all of them. Very rarely do we see that

L2 is looking really nice this year

Raks getting used to playing with L1 which isnt necessarily easy but I had confidence in him no matter where he plays he is a smart hockey player and a legit top 6 winger. Really glad we got him back and we arent fishing for another top 6 at the moment

L3 and L4 both looked good

If there is one player that I had to - it would be McGinn, just not sure whats up with him. He was mostly not noticeable but thats the thing, pretty soon he's going to be on a milk carton. I did see him playing with L2 a little at the end, not sure if that was b/c the Jake injury or they were trying to get him going.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Why do they ever ask him. Jake could have stubbed his toe and Sully would say he's being evaluated right now.

Jake could be dead on the ice - literally - and Sully would still say he's being evaluated.
He says "being evaluated" because he has no word from the medical staff yet.
They barely give the coach any time before the pressers after the game.

If the injury happened in the 1st it might be different. This requires a proper concussion test though.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it was this. Petry had 4 HDCA in 2 minutes away from Pettersson, which gave him an xGA of 0.7 away from Pettersson. Frankly, I don't give a shit about a bad shift from an analytics POV when the Pettersson-Petry pair has nearly a 90% xGF in this game and over a 70% xGF% overall.

Was it a hit that injured Guentzel? I thought he took a shot high from Letang.
Shitbag Lemieux's son hit him into the boards and he kinda pinged his head off the glass/dasher.

I don't think it was necessarily a dirty hit, even though Lemieux's a total piece of shit. Just unfortunate, and a hit Jake's gotta be way more ready for.

-edit- Sullivan just said he's being evaluated. So I'm assuming it's concussion-related. Probably know for sure tomorrow or Saturday.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He says "being evaluated" because he has no word from the medical staff yet.
They barely give the coach any time before the pressers after the game.

If the injury happened in the 1st it might be different. This requires a proper concussion test though.
Yeah but also he would say that even if he knew exactly the extent of the injury

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Shitbag Lemieux's son hit him into the boards and he kinda pinged his head off the glass/dasher.

I don't think it was necessarily a dirty hit, even though Lemieux's a total piece of shit. Just unfortunate, and a hit Jake's gotta be way more ready for.

Yeah I saw that hit, but I thought Guentzel was injured from a high shot by Letang. Or was that not Guentzel?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
very opportunistic tonight, but what goes around comes around, need L1 to skate a bit harder especially sid and jake, they let the opponent behind way to often recently, anyways I have to give a shout to all 6 dman, don't remember when I watch all six playing solid, very few panic moments, most of the shots from outside,

L2 is pretty solid and although the third line got bogged down too often, I liked their counterattacks, Heinen and Kappy really strong and JC's best game of the year

however game puck goes to Zucker for that extra crosscheck on Lemiuex

Reactions: Fordy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad