Post-Game Talk: Game 67 - THE BEAR smokes a cigar in Ybor City - BRUINS 2 Lightning 1 F

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Same crap as last week -- Ritchie is out of shape. Ritchie is fat. Ritchie needs to get in shape. Blah blah blah. All the while ignoring he is getting the job done.
I see. He’s probably not in the best shape of his life but he’s not showing any signs of that slowing him down.

Maybe he’ll get inspired by the winning culture and get in insane shape for next year.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Watched pvr'd game and already knew they won, so was a stress-free 3rd period for me :)
Lauzon is a beast. Play when he shot puck at the net from the boards around the hash marks, then hustled back and broke-up the rush at the Bos blueline was awesome. Guy's a beast.
Don't like the way TB jump into their hits, or the way the refs let them.
Finally, not surprising that the last 3 games have been among the most complete of the season - finally have top and middle-six wingers slotted where they should be. Makes a difference.
Also, hoping for the best for Johnny B.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Watched pvr'd game and already knew they won, so was a stress-free 3rd period for me :)
Lauzon is a beast. Play when he shot puck at the net from the boards around the hash marks, then hustled back and broke-up the rush at the Bos blueline was awesome. Guy's a beast.
Finally, not surprising that the last 3 games have been among the most complete of the season - finally have top and middle-six wingers slotted where they should be. Makes a difference.
Also, hoping for the best for Johnny B.
Well they probably figure why not, look at how the hits from St. Louis were treated in the finals last year. If they’re not gonna call it guys will keep hitting high, they pretty much made it clear last finals they won’t be calling it.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Seriously, what was up with that? At least 2 times a period Millbury brought it up.

Twice a period? More like twice a shift. We know you don't like him, Milbury, you don't need to keep telling us. Like @Alicat said, it just clogs up the commentary.

Ritchie absolutely does need to be in better shape, but that's not something that can be fixed now. The training staff can work with him on that after the season.

As for the lazy comments, Ritchie has put his body on the line multiple times a game. A lazy player doesn't do that.

I don't particularly like Milbury, but I generally don't hate his commentary. He's certainly miles better than Olczyk, but his personal vendettas ruin any positive contributions he may have.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta

Same old crap from last year's playoffs.
When a player about to be hit moves to avoid the hit but the guy handing out the hit turns so as to still make contact, that's no longer the " finishing the check" crap...it's called being an asshole. Saw that alot tonite from Tampa.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Nick Ritchie deserves some time to get adjusted both physically and mentally. He's been playing rather meaningless games in a non-demanding market; now he's on the best team in the league in a town with high expectations. I'm sure he cherishes it, but it will take some acclimating.

For comparison's sake - and these numbers vary at different sites - hockeydb.com has N. Ritchie at 6'2, 230 lbs. (234 lbs. at hockey-reference.com). Comparable 'power forward' type players include Milan Lucic at 6'3, 231 lbs., who Ritchie reminds me of, skating on the back-check.

Also included are Tom Wilson at 6'4, 220 lbs. and Leon Draisaitl at 6'2, 208 lbs.

Reactions: Mione134

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Great game, and a well-deserved win. Out-skated and out-worked Tampa on their own ice and the 2nd period and chunks of the 1st in particular were impressive. 4th line really bossed the game, and there was plenty of grunt work done by the 2nd and 3rd too with lots of zone time and repeat entries. Purely in terms of the general play, possession and chances we definitely had solid command of the game over the Bolts. Defense was excellent too and Rask was Rask.

But I don't want to read too much into it. Boston's still-present scoring limitations tend to keep opponents in the game, and there were a few times when Tampa reminded us all just how dangerous they can be on offense. They can play better than they did in this one, and even so if not for a quarter of a skate being offside and Tyler Johnson missing a tap-in to an open net they would have won the game.

But the Bruins definitely have room for improvement too. The top line didn't really do much apart from Marchy's goal (his read of the play and drive to the net to intercept Krug's pass were superb) and in terms of their full ability and TOI they just about had half a night off against a strong opponent, and we still won. Plus the middle-6 certainly has the work-rate but their chemistry is still developing. It can and will get better in the weeks to come. Our D is already strong but you sense they also still have a gear or two left to use. Looking ahead, apart from giving some guys a rest before the playoffs for its own sake, I think it's also important to give Clifton and Moore a little game-time. Injuries are inevitable in a deep postseason run and while hopefully whatever does happen is only minor, I want those two and maybe even Kampfer dialled in and ready to play at NHL level if and when required.

So here we are 67 games in and Boston and St Louis are still the top teams in their respective conferences, and the Blues have even managed that with the soon-to-return Tarasenko being missing for months. There's a long, long way to go but there's a genuine chance of both teams going the journey again, and I'd love to see the Bruins get another shot at the boys from Missouri. That's got to be a little extra incentive for the players too down the track if things do seem to be heading that way, if any were ever needed.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I see. He’s probably not in the best shape of his life but he’s not showing any signs of that slowing him down.

Maybe he’ll get inspired by the winning culture and get in insane shape for next year.
Given how serious they take nutrition, his clean eating started immediately.

Im just so tired of the fat shaming and I know I’m guilty of it from time to time and I’ve really tried to watch myself. I’ve also been fat shamed recently and I can’t tell you how bad it can screw with a person.

Imagine being a friend or family member of a player and having to hear the same guy ripping on him for the second game in a row. It can’t give them a great feeling.

IMO, Milbury owes Ritchie an apology and needs to not say anything more period.

I’m sorry for going off on a tangent but I just can’t accept this crap anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad