Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - Bruins gift wrap 2 points to the Rangers - NYR 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Anyone think it might benefit the Bruins to hover into the first wildcard spot? Instead of going through the Leafs and Lightning, you'd get the Islanders and then hopefully the Pens take out the Caps for you in round 1.

I've been thinking the exact thing. If I had a magic wand that could get us precisely in the WC1 spot versus the Islanders, I'd do it every time. But too much can happen in the 28-30 games each team has left. You can't ease up too much, or you'll go from WC1 to WC2 to...out. And even if you do hit that WC1 spot, Washington and Pittsburgh are in striking distance of the top Metro seed. Yeah, we'd have to face one of them eventually...but I'd rather have it be after they face each OTHER. Facing either team off the bat - especially Washington - smells like disaster.

So, I'm fine with plugging away to get the 2 or 3 spot at this point. That definitely feels like it'll be a Toronto matchup, with a possible Habs surprise. Yeah, not great, but still better than Washington, and way better than golf.

As far as this game - I wasn't too surprised that Bergeron wasn't the first, second, or third shooter. I seem to vaguely recall that he seemed low on the shootout roster...abnormally low considering he's decent at shootouts. This isn't the first time Bergeron's been passed over. But...after six? Nope. Save Bergeron maybe as a shooter who can take the pressure of playing "under the gun" when NY scores? Maaaaaaaaybe, but obviously that didn't freaking happen!

Unforgivable that we lost the shootout before Bergeron shot. Unforgivable that it got to the shootout after OT. And definitely unforgivable to blow a lead like that.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
What is funny about Cassidy is that he had this team playing better when they had a bunch of injuries than now when they are healthy.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
What is funny about Cassidy is that he had this team playing better when they had a bunch of injuries than now when they are healthy.

Was thinking the same. The transition from the d-zone was quicker.

Unfortunately Frederic doesn't look like in the preseason or in Providence prior to his call up. Those 7 and half minutes could be easily spread among other centers.
I would opt for 11F+7D until we acquire a reliable 3C. In the meantime I would send down Frederic, call up Vaak, sit for a game or two McAvoy, cut Chara's TOI to PK and d-zone face offs mostly. Acciari and Wagner at 6-8 min for PK and d-zone face offs only.

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
Cehlarik Krejci Pasta
DeBrusk Kuraly Nordstrom
Acciari Wagner

Carlo - Chara
Vaak - Grzelcyk
Moore Krug
Less Miller

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I went to be after the 2nd thinking this is a done deal...unreal! So glad I didn't stay up for this one.

How bad did the bruins look in the 3rd?

Pretty bad. Carlo-Chara had a brainfart with no gap control on the second goal and then McAvoy had a brainfart with a boarding penalty. Halak's juicy rebound on a following PK landed right in front of Chytil who was all alone to tap it in.

Reactions: Blowfish

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
A coach who is prepared should have his shootout list determined in advance. It's not too hard. Most of the posters on this board could put together a reasonable list. And by reasonable, I mean one in which Bergeron appears in the top seven.
Bergeron isn’t good on the shoot out. It’s not his forte. Never has been.
MacAvoy has a good game. A penalty doesn’t dictate a bad game. It was unfortunately at the wrong time.
The lines were clicking. The legs were dragging in the 3rd. Not that big a deal. 5 out of 6 points is good. Rangers are the second coming of Washington? Horrible record against them.

Reactions: BBB24

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
“Cehlarik I was told that in Providence he was very good, so we gave him a look.” Cassidy
So the coach decided to see how Cehlarik looked in the shootout during the game and not in practice, I am losing confidence in this guy

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
“Cehlarik I was told that in Providence he was very good, so we gave him a look.” Cassidy
So the coach decided to see how Cehlarik looked in the shootout during the game and not in practice, I am losing confidence in this guy

Even Claude had them practice shootouts once in a while.

Reactions: GoBs

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I don’t think it’s unfair to call into question the leadership on this time. When it’s time to button up, you button up. I guess it was just the Bergeron 1000th game handover everyone always talks about.

Can’t wait to loose two games to lesser competition this weekend:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If you're only going to have Frederic play 7-9 minutes a night, just send him back to Providence. Honestly its a waste of a line-up spot and its doing nothing to help his development.

Also can someone fill me in on the Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen trio? Did they play much together and if so how did they look and is it something we could see going forward?

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
If you're only going to have Frederic play 7-9 minutes a night, just send him back to Providence. Honestly its a waste of a line-up spot and its doing nothing to help his development.

Also can someone fill me in on the Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen trio? Did they play much together and if so how did they look and is it something we could see going forward?

I think you underestimate what it means for a young player, being able to play with the likes of Bergeron, Marchand, Backes , Krejci, and Big Z. What they can learn from them on the fly and the 8-10 minute a game playing with and against pro's can be very instrumental/beneficial in a players development.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Frederic should be sent down
Debrusk should sit 1 game this weekend
McAvoy should sit 1 game this weekend
Chara should sit 1 game this weekend

Leadership voices must be getting stale as well. Wouldn’t mind seeing them bring in someone with that attribute at the deadline.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think you underestimate what it means for a young player, being able to play with the likes of Bergeron, Marchand, Backes , Krejci, and Big Z. What they can learn from them on the fly and the 8-10 minute a game playing with and against pro's can be very instrumental/beneficial in a players development.

Actually playing with is one thing. Frederic doesn't play with Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci or Chara. Sure its great that he sees how these guys prepare, pick their brains and how they go about their career as pros, but that's only worth so much.

I actually think its sad that we've asked two pure rookie in Frederic/JFK to try and jolt a 3rd line that consist of:

Backes - sharp decline and probably more of a 4th liner at this point
Heinen - HUGE sophomore slump and gripping the stick way to tight
Nordstrom - Just returned from a broken leg, but not much of an offensives guy anyways
Donato - Another rookie whose struggled.

I mean honestly asking either JFK/Frederic to get any two of these guys going is asking a lot. I think the best trio we saw was Donato-JFK-Heinen and even then they only showed flashes.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Went to bed and it was 3-1...WTF

The amount of blown leads in the last ~10 games or so is insane. Completely unacceptable.

They need a 2RW and 3C. Hell they could probably use 2 2nd line wingers. It is what it is.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Also the team is taking so many penalties lately, don't know if that's because we usually get the lead then it seems refs are watching like hawks for any infractions or if the guys are just being undisciplined. A few penalties last night were pretty laughable though, especially the Bergeron "slash".

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I don’t get to bent out of shape of who goes in the shootout,it’s kind of a crapshoot,none of them are that great at it really.But blowing the two goal lead is unacceptable mistakes and bone head penalties cost them.This team needs more offence desperately,and the D needs to be better.

Reactions: Healthy Wrap

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Also the team is taking so many penalties lately, don't know if that's because we usually get the lead then it seems refs are watching like hawks for any infractions or if the guys are just being undisciplined. A few penalties last night were pretty laughable though, especially the Bergeron "slash".

I don't mind D man getting called for being aggressive and smashing people. We can't have it both ways.

Charlie's and Miller hits I'm ok with.

Reactions: Emerz

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Carlo and Chara on that PK was brutal
I think the Bruins are the only team that ignore the guy in the keepers face
Not a stick, glove or bump nothing on these guys

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

remer

Oct 18, 2005
They need a sniper on the second line Right Wing. One of Tarasenko, Stone, Eberle, Toffoli, or Simmonds.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00