Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - Bruins gift wrap 2 points to the Rangers - NYR 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins give one away to Rangers - The Boston Globe

By Kevin Paul Dupont GLOBE STAFF

FEBRUARY 6, 2019
NEW YORK — The season is getting late and the Bruins need to find a way to broaden their goal scoring. A trip here to Manhattan might have helped them solve their search.

Down by a goal after a tepid first period, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy changed the mix of his top two lines, moves that helped deliver three quick goals — by Danton Heinen, David Pastrnak and Patrice Bergeron — in what ended a 4-3 shootout loss to the Rangers.

Reluctant all season to pull Pastrnak off the No. 1 line, Cassidy shifted the Czech star to the second line and moved Heinen up to top-line duty with Brad Marchand and Bergeron. Pastrnak filled out an all-Czech trio, riding with veteran center David Krecji and young left winger Peter Cehlarik.

The Bruins gave away the two-goal lead in the third period and were forced into the shootout. Finally, as the 13th shooter of the session, defenseman Tony DeAngelo won it with his forehander to the top right corner on Jaro Halak.

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Shootout lineup should be an auto Marchy/Bergy/Pastaz and swap one in Krug, and McaVoy here and there, then go from there.
I'd put out Marchy and Pasta every time regardless. There was a period where they kept trying to force Bergy, but they should probably start going back to him. We had what, 6/7 shooters and none of them were Bergeron? Crazy. I would have put out Pasta/Marchy/DeBrusk to start.

Reactions: Strafer

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
Anybody else almost ready to end the Frederic experiment? Cassidy obviously does not even trust having him out there as he plays only 9 mins per night. In the last 4 games, he has one shot on goal. Hardly even any shot attempts; he barely touches the puck. Only saving grace is he has been good on faceoffs.

doesnt matter who is on this third line. it sucks. it sucked on game 1, and still sucks on game 54. Time to make some moves. either get a legit top 6 winger. or blow up line 3, and get us two new wingers that can contribute 1/10 games.

Reactions: Strafer

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I must’ve watched a different game, I thought McAvoy was fine tonight. He’s struggling with the offence a bit but I didn’t see him as a problem out there. Dumb penalty to take but I’d imagine he’s thinking the Ranger player would be bracing for impact along the wall there.

It was Carlo with the bad gap on the second goal. Didn’t tie his man up on the pp if I remember right either.

The ongoing problem is that they continue to turn forwards into 4th liners skill wise. Debrusk is starting to look like one with the puck now too.

In fairness to their actual 4th liners, I thought those 3 were very good. Especially Kuraly who looked like the only guy on the team that had his legs all game.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Bergeron wasn't selected because he has sucked in the shootout lately, including in practice. Coaches don't pull these decisions out of thin air folks. Stop pretending that you know better.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I have been feeling the same way for a while but I am honestly now starting to worry.

To me, Charlie is mostly lacking confidence in his game and he's second guessing too much right now

He just needs a big game to bolster his confidence and get back into a groove

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Sweeney is the one I'm more pissed at

He's starting to remind me of Sinden

100% Cassidy should be praised for having this team on pace for 100 points when they have 2 major holes in there roster and our MVP missed 20 games...and we have played 13 D this year!! Due to injuries

Having only 4 top 6 players
A 3rd line of Kuraly Wagner Acciari
And having Lauzon, Clifton as top pairing D for some games
Having all our sophomores under perform

What Cassidy done has been remarkable actually

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Fun game to watch. Only my second time at MSG since moving to NY four years ago (first was for a pro bull riding event).

Got to witness my first almost crowd fight, too. Fella next to my girlfriend was standing for the shootout while everyone else in the section was seated, and he didn't take too kindly to being told to sit down. Shoving ensued between him and the folks behind us, but security showed up and got the guy to sit down. Had both parties chirping at each other for the rest of the shootout which was distracting but also mildly entertaining in its own way.

Edit: forgot to add... Make a trade already, Don!

Last edited:

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Bruce Cassidy is

97-45-21 as coach of the Boston Bruins

That’s 108 point pace

And he has dealt with major injuries his whole coaching tenure here

And people want him Fired

:help:

Yes, I would like to see him replaced. I think the team is being held back by him and his staff now. When he first came on board the team played fast and pushed the puck up ice. It appears Butch has changed to a defense first style and the players are fighting their instincts and playing away from their strengths. I can’t believe all the young guys forgot how to score.

Reactions: Strafer and TheBigZ

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
100% Cassidy should be praised for having this team on pace for 100 points when they have 2 major holes in there roster and our MVP missed 20 games...and we have played 13 D this year!! Due to injuries

Having only 4 top 6 players
A 3rd line of Kuraly Wagner Acciari
And having Lauzon, Clifton as top pairing D for some games
Having all our sophomores under perform

What Cassidy done has been remarkable actually
I agree with this. Cassidy had to deal with a lot of I agree with this. Cassidy had to deal with a lot of injury problems last year and again this year and I think the record is quite good considering

He isn't shy to make some changes. Like everyone else, I was wondering why Bergeron was not in the shoot out; no reporter asked him? I was wondering if he was injured

Although I am disappointed they did not get the two points, I thought the effort was there and to get five points out of the last three games I would take

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00