Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - Bruins gift wrap 2 points to the Rangers - NYR 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Cap friendly only tells part of the story. There are internal factors at play with the asset management and the dead cap space. I'll be interested to see what Sweeney/Neely do here.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Still PO at the result last night. I understand these guys aren`t robots but you can`t go into a 3rd period and give up a 2 goal lead, at least not in the manner of which this team did. The amount of points this team have left on the table over the course of this season to inferior teams, had they recorded full marks for those games, would literally have them fighting with the Lightning for top spot but this team makes a habit of playing down to the opponent.

Liked a few things, 2 of the 3 goals scored had Bruin players planting their arse right in front of the goalie, something that is missing far too often from this team. I know Charlie took a stupid penalty but loved his game prior to that brain cramp, I haven`t got a clue how much TOI he had but the kid played great, seemed like he blocked a half dozen shots out there, was physical but again, took a "young" penalty.

Halak we saw the good and the bad, made many terrific saves but didn`t control the rebound on the tying goal. Anyways, leads are lost, I get it, but I`m most concerned about all those lost points vs teams that will be golfing come seasons end

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
We are all aware we need help up front scoring, however the points that we are missing with the 1 goal losses are muscues from the kids on the backend, which is to be expected. I think we make a run if Sweeney can find a consistent 25 - 30 goal scorer. I am glad though they are still getting points.

Get to work Don !!!

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
We are all aware we need help up front scoring, however the points that we are missing with the 1 goal losses are muscues from the kids on the backend, which is to be expected. I think we make a run if Sweeney can find a consistent 25 - 30 goal scorer. I am glad though they are still getting points.

Get to work Don !!!

Not just the front end scoring, the backend points are below average (besides Krug) which adds to the problem. Who would have thought that at this point of the season that "healthy scratch" Grzelcyk's meager 14 points would be more than Chara, Miller and Carlo combined?
Carlo with just 3 is a complete mystery; even the best defensive defensemen get 2nd assists on simple outlet pass goals or lucky point shot deflections..
I agree help is needed.

Reactions: pgm16

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
Not just the front end scoring, the backend points are below average (besides Krug) which adds to the problem. Who would have thought that at this point of the season that "healthy scratch" Grzelcyk's meager 14 points would be more than Chara, Miller and Carlo combined?
Carlo with just 3 is a complete mystery; even the best defensive defensemen get 2nd assists on simple outlet pass goals or lucky point shot deflections..
I agree help is needed.
Good point; and don't forget McAvoy, who has scored the grand total of one goal in almost 30 games.

Reactions: mflo77 and Sheppy

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
No. No rentals.

Long term trades only. That will help, yes.

Agree, Sweeney needs to make deals that make sense for beyond this season

f2539f391873712.jpg

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This loss is entirely on Cassidy. He did his Clode impression by implementing the dump and change at the start of the third period. He also over used Chara and Carlo. It was obvious those two could not handle the speed of NY. Putting Heinen on the top line should get Butch canned. Yes, 43 scored, but it was sheer luck. He is worthless in the offensive zone and only marginally better defensively. Is there a weaker player on the roster now that Donato is gone?

Kevin Miller was the only defenseman to play less minutes than Chara last night. McAvoy and Grzelcyk both played more than Carlo.

How do you know what Cassidy implemented?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Tough loss to take, especially after being up 2, and especially in the SO.
Some positives:

1) Halak played well. Despite the loss, I hope it was a confidence boost for him. He made some huge saves.

2) Line-juggling. Pasta and Krejci together show results. There's your secondary scoring. Should be duo-based – 1) Marchand-Bergy 2) Krejci-Pasta. Previously I was against breaking up the top line, but we need secondary scoring too badly. Not sure if Heinen is the answer for the top line, but he did score. I wouldn't mind seeing DeBrusk up there for a shift or two. Might wake him up and solve that problem as well.

Unfortunately that leaves us with a 3rd line that becomes the Line of Misfit Toys, cast-offs that can't find a home on other lines.

Sweeney needs to add two players to make this team a real threat. A Top 6 winger, and a 3rd line centre. Rentals are fine with me, because the window is closing on this core.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Kevin Miller was the only defenseman to play less minutes than Chara last night. McAvoy and Grzelcyk both played more than Carlo.

How do you know what Cassidy implemented?

I don’t believe the players decided to dump and change on their own. That had to be a coaching decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad