Post-Game Talk: GAME #31 - Canucks @ Kings - March 23, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Valk is on crack, he wants Alberts to get more playing time :facepalm:

I swear, there isn't a Canuck who has made me yell at my TV that much since Nolan Baumgartner was skating a regular shift on our blueline. He had two good hits, I'll give him that, but he is such a terrible player in every other aspect of the game. Coughed up the puck on numerous occasions and we're lucky it didn't end up in the back of the net.

Anyway - great game from Schneider. Thought the Twins had a nice, gritty game as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Canucks did use two forecheckers in the third period, so they didn't actually 'trap' it up. More Sutter's doing, I think.

I hope its a sign the coaching staff realizing the team plays better by being actively tenacious.

Still though, we didn't have much offensive zone pressure, even all game for that matter. We hung on as long as we could to get the win. It isn't pretty, but a win is a win, and it'll make the fans happy.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Luongo has had a hot streak this season, which was longer than 3 games btw, and now Schneider is finding his game after being mediocre to average all season. But you're right, it's all about 'What have you done for me lately?' on this board. :shakehead

Yeah, and he's also been better the past two seasons and has more upside. Forgive me for not caring how good Luongo was five or ten years ago. :shakehead

Dado

IF he does play tomorrow, he better be more than perfect, or it'll be Schneid the rest of the season.

Based on the evidence so far, there is no particularly compelling reason to believe Schneider can keep it together for that long a stretch.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm a big a Schneider homer as anyone, but by no means does he have the job locked up, Lugongo pulled out a similar run earlier this year, Schneids needs to keep up his solid work. He made some good saves today, but wasn't tested very many times.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
well he was brutal with the puck but his hits and postioning were solid again (last LA game)vs the big boys from LA.....gives his partner and forwards some space because of his boxouts

I'm not saying he was terrible, his physicality and size was very useful and allowed me to look past his big mess ups in his own end, but in no way was he our third best player today. If he had played a mistake-free game while adding in his physical game than I would have no issue with it

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Kings were diving jokes today down 1-0 in the last period. Unbelievable, also loved how Sportsnet kept zooming in on the Kings chatting up the refs every two seconds. Such ****en hypocrites.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not going to get into the Schneider vs. Luongo debate, but I think Schneider's performance recently may give Gillis more confidence to pull the trigger on a trade for Luongo.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm a big a Schneider homer as anyone, but by no means does he have the job locked up, Lugongo pulled out a similar run earlier this year, Schneids needs to keep up his solid work. He made some good saves today, but wasn't tested very many times.

He didn't have too many saves but a lot of them were quality scoring chances in close. He played great.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He didn't have too many saves but a lot of them were quality scoring chances in close. He played great.

I agree, and distinctly remember at least 3 really good scoring chances, but we did do a good job limiting shots and keeping the Kings to the outside

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Kings were diving jokes today down 1-0 in the last period. Unbelievable, also loved how Sportsnet kept zooming in on the Kings chatting up the refs every two seconds. Such ****en hypocrites.

All 30 teams are pretty much hypocrites.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
We should all remember this when we go and criticize other teams and their systems like Phoenix, Nashville etc.

Some teams do it by design - others, because of a specific circumstance (eg., multiple injuries) do it because of self-preservation (eg., us).

Big, big difference.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Some teams do it by design - others, because of a specific circumstance (eg., multiple injuries) do it because of self-preservation (eg., us).

Big, big difference.

Agreed. There's a big difference between building a trap team and just being forced to play that way until players return. The Canucks for the last few years have been one of the more entertaining teams.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Big, big difference.

I agree, but point is, doesn't matter what style or system you play, if you're winning in it, it'll make the fans happy which is a reason teams play that type of style, I think.

Don't really want to argue about this though, as I've done this dance before, and only circles are done around the topic. :laugh:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very improbable win. Kudos to the team - especially to those like Higgins and Bieksa who played thru injury. Won tons of little battles in this game and seemed to make the safe, smart play most of the time

The Good

Schneider -just let him run with it. Has certainly found his groove. Much, much better handling the puck. That may be the key to Schneider - when he's handling the puck well you know he's on his game, when he's not then he is more shaky.

Raymond - not just the goal but digging along the boards, very responsible defensively. Get him re-signed.

Schroeder - not perfect but he showed again some offensive flair and was steady in his end. Great face off win late. Trust factor with this player has gone way up.

Tanev - really what can you say. Mops up others mistakes, makes the right play all the time and never stops working. Sky is the limit for this player

Sedins - great leadership once again - shift at the beginning of the third set the tone for the whole period.

The Bad

Ballard - without Tanev he was done. Was weak around the net and had difficulty handling the size of the LA forwards. Not skating as well as he was earlier in the year and when he is not moving well gets himself into all sorts of problems. Moving him around is probably not helping him either. He was the one player that just didn't look into it today IMO

Other Thoughts

Even though some like Ebbett and Alberts had some very weak moments I felt they gave it a full effort and were effective much of the time. Let's face it Ebbett is not good enough so anything we get is a bonus.

Sistido is what he is. Real fringe player who, I guess, does provide some deterrence

Gordon got around the ice reasonable well and wasn't bad defensively. If he can not be liability I think you are happy

The ice was obviously crap. May have worked in our favour this time since kept game in a scramblely mode which probably helped a shut down game

Refs continue to let Burrows get abused at will.

PP remains AWOL. Liked Garrison's game for the most part but his PP work was not good. Fumbling with the puck, erratic shots, not spacing right. Hopefully he can start to get better if AV just let's him work thru the kinks. Need someone to emerge as QB and maybe it is Tanev. Does everything else so maybe this too.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012

But I thought we were the whiners. :sarcasm:

YouCantYandleThis*

He's more athletic, better technically, doesn't show up his teammates, doesn't say stupid things in the media and he's consistently made a higher percentage of saves for 3 seasons now. That's why he's the better goalie, not the last 3 games.

:laugh:

Luongo shows up his teammates?

What is this garbage?

Luongo has had a bad stretch the past few, and Schneider has been fantastic.

Contrary to the beginning of the season, where Luongo looked unbeatable, and Schneider looked pretty average for a long, long period.

Always dealing with absolutes with you people, it's ****ing impossible to have a reasonable discussion.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012

What is this garbage?

Contrary to the beginning of the season, where Luongo looked unbeatable, and Schneider looked pretty average for a long, long period.

Always dealing with absolutes with you people, it's ****ing impossible to have a reasonable discussion.

This excuse for Luongo has got to stop...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Sistido is what he is. Real fringe player who, I guess, does provide some deterrence

After watching Hank get crosschecked in the back of the neck while on the ice with no response I would have this guy back on waivers in a heartbeat.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

You won't see Cory throw up his hands at a teammate like Lu did to Edler his last start.

We don't have to argue about it at all, just go look at the numbers.

Cory .920 save percentage

Lu .904

You can justify and make excuses all you want but the idea is to save pucks and Cory has been doing a better job of it for 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad