Post-Game Talk: GAME #31 - Canucks @ Kings - March 23, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Only way to stop it is for the twins to stick up for themselves. Not fight, but push back. It's clear that the refs won't protect a player "expecting" protection. That's the player's job, or the job of his teammates.

That's why I liked it when Kassian went right after Tootoo for nailing Tanev. No hesitation. Didn't matter what the score was. More of that, and teams will back off.

I would've had Sestito crosscheck crybaby Doughty in a similiar fashion tonight - if they target our better players, you target theirs (not sacks of **** like Tootoo); course we'd likely have lost the game from the resulting 5 minute + game (plus suspension).

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
It was a very impressive effort. Reminded me of Leafs games the way we grinded it out, got outshot but overall played well enough to win.

Vanier Park

Jun 8, 2010
You won't see Cory throw up his hands at a teammate like Lu did to Edler his last start.

We don't have to argue about it at all, just go look at the numbers.

Cory .920 save percentage

Lu .904

You can justify and make excuses all you want but the idea is to save pucks and Cory has been doing a better job of it for 3 seasons.

And to boot, Schneider .939 in his last five starts,

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
2 weeks ago we were the worst hockey team ever assembled.

Now we are 5-2-0 in the last 7. Imagine if we pounced on detroit after scoring 6 seconds in. We could
be 6-0-1.

Thin margin for error in pro sports

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
2 weeks ago we were the worst hockey team ever assembled.

Now we are 5-2-0 in the last 7. Imagine if we pounced on detroit after scoring 6 seconds in. We could
be 6-0-1.

Thin margin for error in pro sports
Amazing what happens when you get work ethic + goaltending. We were relying too much on one-half of that equation formerly.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
This is not a normal situation though. Most teams have a clear #1 and a career backup. It's a back-to-back at a high altitude city. Logic would say that Luongo should be in tomorrow.

I get that part. Altitude is same for both goalies lungs...... I say go Schneids tomorrow and Bubba on Tuesday

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
As the centre it's not his job to be involved in corner puck battles in the defensive zone. He's doing his job exceptionally well for a rookie. They got tougher match-ups than the Ebbett line tonight and he came away with 2-4 chance differential (Canucks were demolished 8-18). Ebbett in the meantime ended up 3-8 and couldn't tell who his man was even if he was staring him right in the face.

There's really no comparing the contributions from Ebbett and Schroeder over the past 4 games. Prior to tonight, Schroeder was 16-9 in chances while he's on the ice and after tonight it's up to 18-13. Ebbett is 4-10 in that timespan (and he missed one game).

I wouldn't say the Schroeder line got tougher matchups (at least defensively). Ebbett's line was (unfortunately) the so-called "shutdown" line. 70% of his 5-on-5 TOI was up against either the Kopitar or Richards line and 7 of his 8 end zone starts were in the Canucks' end.

Schroeder definitely wasn't sheltered, but I'd say he got the easier minutes relative to Ebbett.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
when i look at the top 8, the only teams i think the canucks have an advantage over is minnesota and san jose. all others look like really tough match ups

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
i never said any round would be easy but my point is that for a "supposedly" great team (not my words), you would think that there would be more than 2 advantageous match ups

Looking at the playoffs as they are right now we have

Chicago-San Jose
Anaheim-St Louis
Minnesota-Detroit
Vancouver-LA

The East I feel has much more disparity, and more lopsided series

the only clear cut easy series is Chicago-San Jose imo, St Louis is underperforming imo and I think Detroit could easily upset Minnesota. I would say that San Jose would be an "easy" series for us

Outside99*

As the centre it's not his job to be involved in corner puck battles in the defensive zone. He's doing his job exceptionally well for a rookie. They got tougher match-ups than the Ebbett line tonight and he came away with 2-4 chance differential (Canucks were demolished 8-18). Ebbett in the meantime ended up 3-8 and couldn't tell who his man was even if he was staring him right in the face.

There's really no comparing the contributions from Ebbett and Schroeder over the past 4 games. Prior to tonight, Schroeder was 16-9 in chances while he's on the ice and after tonight it's up to 18-13. Ebbett is 4-10 in that timespan (and he missed one game).

You're quoting a line stat which he happens to have vastly superior linemates..

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What excuse? It's a fact.

He played VERY well in the beginning of the season, and 4 out of the past 5 (he pretty much won us the 2-1 Columbus game), he's looked bad. That's called a bad stretch.

Schneider was brilliant tonight, and deserves to run with it, I just don't understand why everyone has to **** all over Luongo while entertaining that opinion. It's ****ing pathetic. We wouldn't be in a playoff position right now if not for Luongo. Fact.

Amen brother. Lyongo saved our butts when Schneids started out poorly. Then Lou went cold and Schneids came back in form. People should just be glad we have 2 good goalies to allow us to ride the hot one.

Schneider is hot ATM, keep riding him until he goes cold. Meanwhile the fan bois and haters on both sides need to take it to a specialty Team Cory vs Team Roberto thread so I can put it on ignore like the ******* thread.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I cringed when Tanev got nailed from behind. I hope he's okay.

And what was with Richards whining to the refs every commercial break? Such an overrated ****.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Looking ahead, the Canucks have a pretty soft next 10 games; hopefully they can take advantage because their final few look tougher:

@ COL
vs. CBJ
vs. COL
@ EDM
@ SJS
vs. CGY
vs. PHX
@ CGY
@ COL
@ NSH

M A K A V E L I*

Looking ahead, the Canucks have a pretty soft next 10 games; hopefully they can take advantage because their final few look tougher:

@ COL
vs. CBJ
vs. COL
@ EDM
@ SJS
vs. CGY
vs. PHX
@ CGY
@ COL
@ NSH

That's a ridiculous amount of snooze fest games. Other than SJ, it'll be a lot of garbage hockey.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
That's a ridiculous amount of snooze fest games. Other than SJ, it'll be a lot of garbage hockey.

That's the NHL for ya. The only saving grace this season has been the amount of games on each night. With 8-13 games regularly on, you're bound to find one worth watching. Sometimes even that doesn't happen.

peanutflower

Jun 5, 2011
Only way to stop it is for the twins to stick up for themselves. Not fight, but push back. It's clear that the refs won't protect a player "expecting" protection. That's the player's job, or the job of his teammates.

That's why I liked it when Kassian went right after Tootoo for nailing Tanev. No hesitation. Didn't matter what the score was. More of that, and teams will back off.

It will never happen. That's not the kind of players the twins are, and thank god for that. I'm sure they don't go into the dressing room whining and crying about how abused they are. They've been in the NHL for over 10 years now. They know the deal. They are classy guys and they play the style they play and it works for them. Nuff said. I'd prefer to have an entertaining skills team than a team that has to barge its way around the ice picking fights. What else does Sestito offer except being the resident thug anyway?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
What else does Sestito offer except being the resident thug anyway?

He's actually a pretty decent player for being a 'thug'. He's put up some numbers in junior and the AHL, he's a good enough player to keep the play moving at least. He's also been an effective hitter.

That said, if he can't figure out how to push back when the twins are being abused he isn't worth the roster spot.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The Canucks PP is now tied for the worst in the league at 12.9%. There's really no excuse for that.

And before anyone bemoans the loss of Ehrhoff and Hodgson for that, keep in mind the team they're tied with is Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad