Post-Game Talk: GAME #31 - Canucks @ Kings - March 23, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Looking ahead, the Canucks have a pretty soft next 10 games; hopefully they can take advantage because their final few look tougher:

@ COL
vs. CBJ
vs. COL
@ EDM
@ SJS
vs. CGY
vs. PHX
@ CGY
@ COL
@ NSH

All completely winnable games. In years past, we'd be looking down the barrel of a potential 13 game winning streak. As it is, I'd want the Canucks to win at least 7 of these games.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
The Canucks PP is now tied for the worst in the league at 12.9%. There's really no excuse for that.

And before anyone bemoans the loss of Ehrhoff and Hodgson for that, keep in mind the team they're tied with is Buffalo.

This makes no sense Hodgson wasn't even on our first unit......It's not even worth noting.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Didn't think we'd win. Schneids is in the zone right now. Good defensive effort beyond him, though. We did a good job of blocking shots and were more physical today than we usually are. Stringing together two greasy road wins is just what this team needed.

PP still sucks, though.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This makes no sense Hodgson wasn't even on our first unit......It's not even worth noting.

a lot of people have said that our PP would be much better if we had Ehrhoff and Hodgson, when they themselves are struggling on the PP in Buffalo

Sleepwalkr

Feb 16, 2013
Any PP of ours that doesn't give up more chances than we get, is a good PP. :laugh:

From Canucks Army:

"I don't want to harp on how dreadful the power play looks, because I realize that it's missing 2 of its most important pieces. I'll just mention that the team had 3 opportunities, which only generated 2 scoring chances. Both were for the Kings."

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
How many games do you guys think they going to give Nolan for crosschecking one of the star players in the NHL (and the Canucks all-time leading scorer) in the back of the head, while he was on his hands and knees on the ice in a defenceless position?

If the Edler suspension is any indication, my guess is about 4 games.

Oh wait. I forgot. They don't give players any sort of REAL punishment for trying to hurt the Sedins. Hahahaha never mind! I got confused about which league I was watching. Never mind. Carry on.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
From Canucks Army:

"I don't want to harp on how dreadful the power play looks, because I realize that it's missing 2 of its most important pieces. I'll just mention that the team had 3 opportunities, which only generated 2 scoring chances. Both were for the Kings."

Yup. Just shows how little confidence the PP has right now when it's more of a PK rather than a PP.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
How many games do you guys think they going to give Nolan for crosschecking one of the star players in the NHL (and the Canucks all-time leading scorer) in the back of the head, while he was on his hands and knees on the ice in a defenceless position?

If the Edler suspension is any indication, my guess is about 4 games.

Oh wait. I forgot. They don't give players any sort of REAL punishment for trying to hurt the Sedins. Hahahaha never mind! I got confused about which league I was watching. Never mind. Carry on.

The league is a farce. I've completely given up having any expectation that the NHL gives a crap about the Sedins or about any teams that aren't important to them.

The Canucks played a decent team game. Small steps, but they're improving.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
So that Canucks fan from Glee was at the game.

tumblr_mk52wbEaEz1ql1znmo1_500.jpg

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
That was perfect, perfectly played, that's exactly the sorts of games we've got to win going forward. These guys are finally getting an identity, playing the tight-checking, defence-first, low-scoring games that we need to be playing to win with this lineup. Awesome game.

Nov 1, 2011
Lots of credit to this Hansen-Schroeder-Raymond second line. They're keeping our heads above water during some pretty trying circumstances.

Its not the best second line we've ever rolled out, but it is a second line, something we haven't had for most of this season.

Yep, we've been screaming for AV to put Schroeder on the 2nd line and it's working out. Might have to give AV credit here though instead of hate since I'm not sure if the trip to the AHL had a good effect on Schroeder or if its just being put with better linemates.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but our 3 game winning streak coincides with Jordan Schroeder's 3 game point streak.

Having a 2nd line these last two games is making a huge difference...we just have to decide now if we want to put faith in the 2nd line or go get a more veteran guy...

We have tons of cap space right now due to the guys we can put on LTIR (Maholtra and Booth) I hope we still get a guy who can play forward at the centre position and be an effective winger...or a guy that could play centre with Kesler at wing.

I'm a Devils fan so I don't see the Canucks a lot, but that line stood out to me today. Hansen looked like he gave one of the best efforts of every player on the ice.

Yeah, that's Hansen every night. The guy is a stud for us. I wonder if we can get him on a Burrows contract to make up for the fact that Burrows is no longer going to be on a Burrows contract.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Schneider slowly but surely claiming the #1 goalie spot. If he keeps this up, he will solidify his position and allow Gillis to trade Luongo with full confidence. It should be noted that we might be in rough shape without Luongo at the start of the year so Gillis has actually played this pretty well regardless of what we get for Luongo IMO.

Nov 1, 2011

I'd say because you need to prove to yourself that Schneider is or isn't a franchise level starter before this off-season.

With the cap going down, we simply cannot go with both goalies into next season and don't want to go into next year with a question mark in net. I honestly believe the starters job going forward is still up for grabs but Schneider is making his move while no matter how Luongo plays, we know already know he is a great starter. If Schneider can play out the season as franchise level starter, then we will trade Luongo. If Luongo needs to start taking a lot of starts because Schneider isn't getting the job done, I think Schneider is gone this off-season.

With our huge LTIR space, there is no reason to trade Luongo or Schneider unless the return offered is very helpful now.

NOTE: Still think we should play Luongo in back-to-back situations though.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I would've had Sestito crosscheck crybaby Doughty in a similiar fashion tonight - if they target our better players, you target theirs (not sacks of **** like Tootoo); course we'd likely have lost the game from the resulting 5 minute + game (plus suspension).

If it gets them to stop doing that **** to our star players, I would consider it well worth the trouble. But alas, I doubt it. Really don't know what you do to stop this bull**** from happening aside from having a killer PP.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yep, we've been screaming for AV to put Schroeder on the 2nd line and it's working out. Might have to give AV credit here though instead of hate since I'm not sure if the trip to the AHL had a good effect on Schroeder or if its just being put with better linemates.
I'm super down on AV this season, but I think the slow demotion of JS to the fourth line and then to the AHL was probably the right call.

He played with Sestito and Weise before and after his last call up, and I think its obvious his second go with those two went a lot better (even without Weise's goal).

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
They're going to keep doing **** to us until our power play can punish them for it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Schneider is doing a little demo on why Luongo is expendable (in case some folks forgot). This guy is an elite netminder in the NHL in his own right. 20 shots? I don't care...he stood tall at all the right moments, and like he said in the post-game...he worked pretty hard for that shutout. It wasn't a game where the Kings didn't have a handful of crazy point blank chances.

Anyway...this is AV's bread and butter. Coaxing wins out of an absolutely embarrassing lineup. Our roster is pathetic at the moment and we shouldn't be winning games, but this is where 'the process' and 'keeping it simple' really shines. The question for me...is whether he can take full advantage of a truly talented roster. Remains to be seen i think...but it's hard to hate on the coaching after eeking out a win like this vs defending cup Champs with an ugly roster like we're icing.

Also, Ballard-Tanev needs to be a thing. Ballard looks so much more smooth and calm, and Tanev seems to get hammered on the end boards an awful lot less often when Ballard is able to use his skating to get back and grab pucks. Both of which are huge bonuses.

As does Hamhuis-Bieksa...together late, with Garrison caught out with the icing and no chance to change as the far side D...HamJuice came up big late again. Those two are just made for each other. When Edler is back, it's time to revisit the 'Big $$$ Experiment' imo.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Schneider is doing a little demo on why Luongo is expendable (in case some folks forgot). This guy is an elite netminder in the NHL in his own right. 20 shots? I don't care...he stood tall at all the right moments, and like he said in the post-game...he worked pretty hard for that shutout. It wasn't a game where the Kings didn't have a handful of crazy point blank chances.

Anyway...this is AV's bread and butter. Coaxing wins out of an absolutely embarrassing lineup. Our roster is pathetic at the moment and we shouldn't be winning games, but this is where 'the process' and 'keeping it simple' really shines. The question for me...is whether he can take full advantage of a truly talented roster. Remains to be seen i think...but it's hard to hate on the coaching after eeking out a win like this vs defending cup Champs with an ugly roster like we're icing.

Also, Ballard-Tanev needs to be a thing. Ballard looks so much more smooth and calm, and Tanev seems to get hammered on the end boards an awful lot less often when Ballard is able to use his skating to get back and grab pucks. Both of which are huge bonuses.

As does Hamhuis-Bieksa...together late, with Garrison caught out with the icing and no chance to change as the far side D...HamJuice came up big late again. Those two are just made for each other. When Edler is back, it's time to revisit the 'Big $$$ Experiment' imo.

Agreed
HamJuice
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Agreed
HamJuice
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Been saying it for 2 years now. Hamjuice simply works, if we are not going to pair up hamhuis/bieksa, we might as well trade bieksa, bieksa without hamhuis is scary.

The problem then arises again, why the hell do we still have 3 dmen on the left side making 4 mil+ with 2 spots left?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Been saying it for 2 years now. Hamjuice simply works, if we are not going to pair up hamhuis/bieksa, we might as well trade bieksa, bieksa without hamhuis is scary.

The problem then arises again, why the hell do we still have 3 dmen on the left side making 4 mil+ with 2 spots left?

Hamhuis and Bieksa has been a downright disaster this season because Hamhuis needs a babysitter just as much as Bieksa does for whatever reason. He's probably injured.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No thanks, Bieksa is as bad as ever and just downright a liability most of the time. Hamhuis is also struggling this year and is not playing good enough to cover for the trainwreck that is Kevin Bieksa

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Hamhuis and Bieksa has been a downright disaster this season because Hamhuis needs a babysitter just as much as Bieksa does for whatever reason. He's probably injured.

hamhuis/bieksa struggled in the first few games, rusty from a lockout?

then when they started to play better, they were broken up, because edler/garrison couldn't work together.

Since then, hamhuis has played with edler/garrison, and bieksa had to play with both as well.

Whoever is genius enough to put edler-bieksa together must have filmed the "perfect storm".

hamhuis-bieksa clearly works, and was one of the main reason we won back to back president trophys. And how we went all the way to the finals with them playing against the other teams top players game in and game out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->