Post-Game Talk: GAME #31 - Canucks @ Kings - March 23, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouCantYandleThis*

This excuse for Luongo has got to stop...

What excuse? It's a fact.

He played VERY well in the beginning of the season, and 4 out of the past 5 (he pretty much won us the 2-1 Columbus game), he's looked bad. That's called a bad stretch.

Schneider was brilliant tonight, and deserves to run with it, I just don't understand why everyone has to **** all over Luongo while entertaining that opinion. It's ****ing pathetic. We wouldn't be in a playoff position right now if not for Luongo. Fact.

YouCantYandleThis*

You won't see Cory throw up his hands at a teammate like Lu did to Edler his last start.

We don't have to argue about it at all, just go look at the numbers.

I don't argue with ignorance.

Not worth the time, or the trouble.

YouCantYandleThis*

I love Schroeder's defensive game, but I really want him to develop his offensive instincts. Raymond and Hansen could be a great line to let him do that.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

nice one. after watching the clippers/grizzlies series last year, i hate chris paul. spent the entire series crying to the refs. but like doughty, even if he's a giant whiner and diver, what an incredibly rare talent. the way those two guys can control a game...

but yeah, screw chris paul. all the kings too.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
You won't see Cory throw up his hands at a teammate like Lu did to Edler his last start.

We don't have to argue about it at all, just go look at the numbers.

Cory .920 save percentage

Lu .904

You can justify and make excuses all you want but the idea is to save pucks and Cory has been doing a better job of it for 3 seasons.

I don't argue with ignorance.

Not worth the time, or the trouble.

:laugh: I even took the time to get the numbers for you :D

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I guess Luongo's hot streak wasn't so much hot but warm seeing as he has a 2.47GAA with a .904 save percentage.

Schneider's mediocre play had him with a similar GAA coming in to this game, but with a far superior .917 save percentage, with less shutouts.

Something of note is that Luongo has only faced 30 or more shots twice this season, whereas Schneider has faced 30 or more 9 times.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
nice one. after watching the clippers/grizzlies series last year, i hate chris paul. spent the entire series crying to the refs. but like doughty, even if he's a giant whiner and diver, what an incredibly rare talent. the way those two guys can control a game...

but yeah, screw chris paul. all the kings too.

bandwagon LA fans love their floppers

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Quagmire_by_iKapow.jpg

garry.png

is it me or is there a striking resemblance here?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I thought Hamhuis and Garrison were quite effective given that they were matched up mostly against Kopitar's line. The Kings only managed 2 shots (and only 7 shot attempts) with that pair on the ice at ES.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
After watching Hank get crosschecked in the back of the neck while on the ice with no response I would have this guy back on waivers in a heartbeat.

Somewhat thought the same at the time. But when you cool down you realize the win is the key here. Canucks had good tempo going and starting fights wasn't going to help maintain this. Maybe best to stick to your knitting and not get drawn into all that.

Fault clearly lay with the ref for not calling something

Outside99*

What I disagree with orca:

- Schroeder had a couple of defensive lapses and is not involved in corner puck battles - probably because he knows he can't win 'em. Ebbett is more effective, more aware in his own zone and can win battles. He does skate like he has lead in his skates though (so obvious going east west takes so long ). Still, happy with his contribution. The one guy down the middle who is playing poorly is Lapierre - perhaps he's injured? Just expect more from him but has regressed big time from his 2011 playoff days - not forechecking well (his greatest asset), not physical and running around (gordon even covered for him once or twice).

- Gordon looked in over his head today, its apparent foot speed is lacking.

- I thought Ballard was fine. Surprising how little we missed Elder.

Rest is spot on.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I thought Hamhuis and Garrison were quite effective given that they were matched up mostly against Kopitar's line. The Kings only managed 2 shots (and only 7 shot attempts) with that pair on the ice at ES.

That pairing is very steady on the whole.

Just have to somehow split Alberts and Bieksa without inserting Edler into that vacancy.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Somewhat thought the same at the time. But when you cool down you realize the win is the key here. Canucks had good tempo going and starting fights wasn't going to help maintain this. Maybe best to stick to your knitting and not get drawn into all that.

Fault clearly lay with the ref for not calling something

Screw the win. I'm embarrassed by this team every time they let their star players get abused. It should never happen but now that everyone knows we're so willing to let it happen, it happens all the time. It's pathetic.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Screw the win. I'm embarrassed by this team every time they let their star players get abused. It should never happen but now that everyone knows we're so willing to let it happen, it happens all the time. It's pathetic.

Only way to stop it is for the twins to stick up for themselves. Not fight, but push back. It's clear that the refs won't protect a player "expecting" protection. That's the player's job, or the job of his teammates.

That's why I liked it when Kassian went right after Tootoo for nailing Tanev. No hesitation. Didn't matter what the score was. More of that, and teams will back off.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Only way to stop it is for the twins to stick up for themselves. Not fight, but push back. It's clear that the refs won't protect a player "expecting" protection. That's the player's job, or the job of his teammates.

That's why I liked it when Kassian went right after Tootoo for nailing Tanev. No hesitation. Didn't matter what the score was. More of that, and teams will back off.

The twins are pushing back as much as they can imo.

That's one way. It would also be nice if our 3rd and 4th line guys did the same thing to guys like Kopitar etc. Clifford is paid to get punched in the face, Kopitar won't be so accepting.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
- Schroeder had a couple of defensive lapses and is not involved in corner puck battles - probably because he knows he can't win 'em. Ebbett is more effective, more aware in his own zone and can win battles. He does skate like he has lead in his skates though (so obvious going east west takes so long ). Still, happy with his contribution. The one guy down the middle who is playing poorly is Lapierre - perhaps he's injured? Just expect more from him but has regressed big time from his 2011 playoff days - not forechecking well (his greatest asset), not physical and running around (gordon even covered for him once or twice).

As the centre it's not his job to be involved in corner puck battles in the defensive zone. He's doing his job exceptionally well for a rookie. They got tougher match-ups than the Ebbett line tonight and he came away with 2-4 chance differential (Canucks were demolished 8-18). Ebbett in the meantime ended up 3-8 and couldn't tell who his man was even if he was staring him right in the face.

There's really no comparing the contributions from Ebbett and Schroeder over the past 4 games. Prior to tonight, Schroeder was 16-9 in chances while he's on the ice and after tonight it's up to 18-13. Ebbett is 4-10 in that timespan (and he missed one game).

Last edited:

M A K A V E L I*

Never bern a fan og NOT starting a goalie right after a shutout.

This is not a normal situation though. Most teams have a clear #1 and a career backup. It's a back-to-back at a high altitude city. Logic would say that Luongo should be in tomorrow.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
This is not a normal situation though. Most teams have a clear #1 and a career backup. It's a back-to-back at a high altitude city. Logic would say that Luongo should be in tomorrow.

Schneider started B2B Avs and Sharks last year.

He had a shutout in the Avs game and I believe he was also coming off another shutout in PHX the game before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad