GDT: Game 21 - Avalanche @ Flames - For the Fallen

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Avs didn't really turtle in the 3rd period until the last 3 minutes or so. They played really good defensive hockey for most the game really and the Flames 2nd goal came from nothing.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I was steaming over how they played the last few minutes. But, I sometimes forget we’re missing a third of the team.

Credit to the Avs for finding a way to get another win.

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Hell of a game by Zadorov.
Couple of easy turnovers down the stretch nearly marred that good night. If he can find a way to eliminate those it would make me relax in the final minutes

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well when you consider that fact that we are missing 5/9 top 9 players and come out with the win you take that no questions asked.
Taking 3 of 4 in Western Canada with the line up we just iced is amazing. I cant remember the last time we did this well in Western Canada with a healthy roster. Remember it was last season we blew leads in Calgary and Vancouver around this time.

Reactions: Avs425

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Our Russians all played well tonight,

Kam, Burakovsky (semi russian), Nuke, Zad.. all exceptional games.

EJ and Girard... our worst pairing tonight. EJ.. I'm not sure how hand eye coordination can be lost, but he's lost it.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know how anyone can say the Avs "turtled" in the 3rd period. To be quite frank, I thought they were the better team in the 3rd period but it just looks like we turtled because we gave up 1 goal and the Flames passed the puck around the perimeter for 2 minutes at the end of the game.

Zadorov with a team high 21:34 and he played arguably his best game of the season. Coincidence? We've known for years now he plays his best hockey when given a bigger role and more responsibility.

I can't wait to get Megna off of this team. It's a minor complaint but I don't know why he's the player picked for that 3rd line with Bellemare and Nieto, I've thought that Tynan has been MUCH better in his short stint than Megna has.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Gaudreau is going to have nightmares of him today, absolutely played him perfectly tonight.

I very much dislike the Johnson and Girard pair, even though one is a hobbit and the other is a dragon they try to play the same way all the time. Not sure what analytics say, but I don't think a lot of offence creation comes from neither that pair. EJ's offensive game is legitimately gone and Girard isn't a threat out there because he's looking to pass 99% of the time (rightfully so though). The coaches desire to play them together all the time is bad considering we have to watch Cole and Zadorov play together and that is one huge turnover waiting to happen as well. Lol, the only pair I honestly trust currently is Graves and Makar.

Not happy with the 3rd period at all!!!
Meh, getting wins with our injury list is a success in itself for me. Turtling with an AHL bottom six isn't surprising, but I still classify it as a solid win, especially when Megna type of players' are getting over 10+ ice time as he got today.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Our Russians all played well tonight,

Kam, Burakovsky (semi russian), Nuke, Zad.. all exceptional games.

EJ and Girard... our worst pairing tonight. EJ.. I'm not sure how hand eye coordination can be lost, but he's lost it.

EJ made a couple of big shot blocks at the end of the game... I was worried he was going to take a puck in the face there as time was expiring.

I'm not defending the rest of his play but he still has a spot on this team..

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't know how anyone can say the Avs "turtled" in the 3rd period. To be quite frank, I thought they were the better team in the 3rd period but it just looks like we turtled because we gave up 1 goal and the Flames passed the puck around the perimeter for 2 minutes at the end of the game.

Zadorov with a team high 21:34 and he played arguably his best game of the season. Coincidence? We've known for years now he plays his best hockey when given a bigger role and more responsibility.

I can't wait to get Megna off of this team. It's a minor complaint but I don't know why he's the player picked for that 3rd line with Bellemare and Nieto, I've thought that Tynan has been MUCH better in his short stint than Megna has.
Z really does seem to play well when given more responsibility. The series against the Preds when EJ was out I thought he was one of our best players. He was easily our best dman. Jared mustve told him to shut down Keiths son and Johnny and he did. Both those guys were complete phantoms tonight. Z was bullying Johnny all night.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
EJ made a couple of big shot blocks at the end of the game... I was worried he was going to take a puck in the face there as time was expiring.

I'm not defending the rest of his play but he still has a spot on this team..

Oh absolutely. When the game is on the line, I want guys like him and cole out there defending the lead. But I don't think he has the energy and strength he used to to take so much heavy minutes. Time to give more minutes to Zad and maybe have him take a few of those shifts.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Some thoughts

-Burakovsky has an insane shot, but besides that he played very well all over the ice (save for the final couple minutes when everyone was gassed including him). Used his speed well and hooked up with Mack on some nice passing. Great pickup by Sakic so far.

-Liked Donskoi as well tonight. That whole line was very good.

-Still don't love Naz's game right now. Still too cutesie. But he was better tonight than he was a few nights ago.

-I thought G looked more like the G from the first couple weeks. Good bounceback game for him. If he can get back to how he was playing at the beginning of the year we'll be in great shape.

-Cole was surprisingly good. Zads too. Overall I thought the whole D core was good save for 1 bad D to D pass by EJ which caused the first CGY goal.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I’ve often wondered if Bednar player matched Zadorov against certain guys, if he could keep his focus better. You could tell he was enjoying hounding Gaudreau, and he plays McDavid pretty well too.

EJ’s best play of the game was laying down on the puck and letting guys stab him with their sticks until the buzzer went.
Not unlike Cole right after taking his high sticking penalty.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Oh absolutely. When the game is on the line, I want guys like him and cole out there defending the lead. But I don't think he has the energy and strength he used to to take so much heavy minutes. Time to give more minutes to Zad and maybe have him take a few of those shifts.

I only saw the last 10 mins of the game but Z made Johnny Hockey his little bitch... he was in his head and he couldn't do f*** all... it was great to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad