GDT: Game 21 - Avalanche @ Flames - For the Fallen

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Flames core is just so underwhelming. Those days of Sean Monahan>>>Mackinnon seem like a complete joke now. Such an unlikable team all around.

Honestly, was Monahan even playing tonight? The Flames’ entire top six was basically invisible, but man...unless he’s being set up to finish by Gaudreau, Monahan doesn’t seem to generate much on his own.

Also, I do love the Flames’ efforts to get tougher. Yes, that was clearly the problem in the playoffs a year ago.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know some think I stick up for EJ too much, but this is a good opportunity to point out what I’m missing, because I didn’t think he played that poorly tonight.

The only thing I saw worth criticizing him for was the bad pass to Girard that led to the Ryan goal, which paled in comparison to MacKinnon leaving Ryan wide open to get the pass and skate in on Grubauer.

Outside of that, I only saw small critiques like a pass in the first period that went off a skate, before he made up for it by poking the puck off the guys stick, and some shots of his that were blocked, but those aren’t big complaints for me.

It’s certainly possible I missed something egregious though, so maybe someone can point it out to me? Or when the bad plays happened so I can go and look for them?

Other than that, these were the plays I saw from him tonight. The same plays he usually makes that other Av D men aren't making nearly as often. Breaking up plays with a good stick, important clears on the PK, clearing the front of the net during rebound chances, smart pinches that lead to scoring chances and power plays, and key shot blocks.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I know some think I stick up for EJ too much, but this is a good opportunity to point out what I’m missing, because I didn’t think he played that poorly tonight.

The only thing I saw worth criticizing him for was the bad pass to Girard that led to the Ryan goal, which paled in comparison to MacKinnon leaving Ryan wide open to get the pass and skate in on Grubauer.

Outside of that, I only saw small critiques like a pass in the first period that went off a skate, before he made up for it by poking the puck off the guys stick, and some shots of his that were blocked, but those aren’t big complaints for me.

It’s certainly possible I missed something egregious though, so maybe someone can point it out to me? Or when the bad plays happened so I can go and look for them?

Other than that, these were the plays I saw from him tonight. The same plays he usually makes that other Av D men aren't making nearly as often. Breaking up plays with a good stick, clearing the front of the net during rebound chances, smart pinches that lead to scoring chances and power plays, and key shot blocks.
EJ was good. Haven't liked all of his games this season but this was a good one. I think the whole d played well for the most part.

Reactions: Foppa2118

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Honestly, was Monahan even playing tonight? The Flames’ entire top six was basically invisible, but man...unless he’s being set up to finish by Gaudreau, Monahan doesn’t seem to generate much on his own.

Also, I do love the Flames’ efforts to get tougher. Yes, that was clearly the problem in the playoffs a year ago.

it was interesting...never heard Monahan’s name once, only noticed Gaudreau when he was getting hit by Z, barely noticed Tkachuk or Bennett. Whole team was pretty unnoticeable. None of them ran Avs players either, which was nice

Reactions: Foppa2118

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Other than that, these were the plays I saw from him tonight. The same plays he usually makes that other Av D men aren't making nearly as often. Breaking up plays with a good stick, important clears on the PK, clearing the front of the net during rebound chances, smart pinches that lead to scoring chances and power plays, and key shot blocks.

He’s trash, and the team will improve when he is no longer on it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
it was interesting...never heard Monahan’s name once, only noticed Gaudreau when he was getting hit by Z, barely noticed Tkachuk or Bennett. Whole team was pretty unnoticeable. None of them ran Avs players either, which was nice

I'm sure their recent funk had a lot to do with their performance this game, but I get the feeling the Avs might be in the Flames head after being upset by them last year in the playoffs. Both games this year have given me that impression.

A lot like how Minny was in the Avs head after they upset them in the playoffs. You could see it in their games the following couple years too.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Best offense out West, best goal differential out West, 3rd in West altogether with Gabe, Mikko, Grubauer, Francouz, Calvert, Bellemare, Z, Cole, Jost, Compher, Wilson etc missing time this year.

giphy.gif

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

The things he does well are quiet and go unnoticed so everyone pounces on him the second he makes a mistake. That's just the life of a defender who primarily focuses on the back end.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The things he does well are quiet and go unnoticed so everyone pounces on him the second he makes a mistake. That's just the life of a defender who primarily focuses on the back end.
He breaks up plays pretty much every shift in the defensive zone, and often is the one to regain puck possession. He just stands out so much because he can barely handle the puck anymore, in any zone.

It does not help him whatsoever that Girard has become totally unreliable as well. They were a good pairing when Girard did the breaking out, but now it’s like neither of them can evade a forecheck.

Three years after this one, which isn’t great but isn’t the worst. It would be easier to take if Cole wasn’t already filling that expensive bottom pairing vet.

Reactions: MacBradley

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This team continues to blow my mind. Any other team has the injury problems we've had and they're losing 75% of their games. Our team just keeps on going. Look at the lineup we iced last night, defense goalies was fine, but the forwards looked like an early preseason lineup, some regulars with a bunch of minor league guys mixed in.

I thought if we snuck two wins out off this road trip it'd be good. Now we a chance to go home with four.

These guys find ways to win games, and that's what good teams do. It might not be the best hockey ever but a win is a win.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
EJ was good. Haven't liked all of his games this season but this was a good one. I think the whole d played well for the most part.
I think Johnson has had a good overall season to this current point, however, the last handful of games he hasn't been good.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Regardless of how good/bad Cole and EJ have been at times, both made absolute clutch plays at the end of the game last night. Cole to lie on the puck after we had an extended shift and everyone was gassed. That was huge, then EJ stopped a potential goal sacrificing the body in front of the net in the dying seconds.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019

He isn't the same player he was, but a lot of the complaints are from factors beyond his control. It feels like he's being exposed a bit late in games when he's on the ice a lot. There's definitely a need for another defenseman who can play those hard minutes and unless/until a move is made, EJ and Cole are going to be overused late.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Extremely impressive what this team is doing without some of their best players.

The only unfortunate part, is a lot of the defenders have taken a step back since Makar took off.
They've also played 12 of 21 on the road. For a team to play 60% of their games on the road, with the injuries they've had, and still be in the top 5-6 teams in the league in both points and differential, is really impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad