GDT: Game 21 - Avalanche @ Flames - For the Fallen

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know how anyone can say the Avs "turtled" in the 3rd period. To be quite frank, I thought they were the better team in the 3rd period but it just looks like we turtled because we gave up 1 goal and the Flames passed the puck around the perimeter for 2 minutes at the end of the game.
Flames were not good, even in that last ten minute segment where they woke up all their shots were floaters from the point with little to no traffic. But I suggest that the Avs let their foot off the pedal towards the end there, some of it was because Flames were sleepwalking for first 50 minutes of the game making the Avs relax and a good chuck is due to a lack of talent. A lack of talent where playing Nichushkin 16 minutes a night isn't a recipe for success. Not that he was bad, I actually thought he was the opposite against the Flames, but he's still a player who needs limited ice time IMHO.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
EJ and Girard has never worked. I dont know why Jared Insists on it. Give me Girard and Makar all day.

Unfortunately, EJ is our best right handed defensive dman.. for now. Give it a couple of years, Makar will be the best on both ends of the ice. Then EJ can be effective as a number 4 dman.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I only saw the last 10 mins of the game but Z made Johnny Hockey his little *****... he was in his head and he couldn't do **** all... it was great to watch.

What you saw in the last 10 mins was what he did all game long. It was glorious.

Gaudreau got so fed up near the end that he gave Zadorov a little whack at center ice and Zadorov turned around swung right back at him.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
I’ve often wondered if Bednar player matched Zadorov against certain guys, if he could keep his focus better. You could tell he was enjoying hounding Gaudreau, and he plays McDavid pretty well too.

I remember last year Z played McDavid really well... he seems to have a really good gap on those guys... he doesn't give them so much respect and 50 feet of space so they can get up to speed and do whatever the f*** they want.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I only saw the last 10 mins of the game but Z made Johnny Hockey his little *****... he was in his head and he couldn't do **** all... it was great to watch.

He absolutely erased him. Jonny aint used to guys that big who can shadow him. No amount of shiftiness is overcoming that reach and strength disadvantage.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I remember last year Z played McDavid really well... he seems to have a really good gap on those guys... he doesn't give them so much respect and 50 feet of space so they can get up to speed and do whatever the **** they want.
And his reach, timing on hits, and skating ability are all very good.

It’s when he stops moving his feet on the cycle, or has the puck on his stick under pressure that he really struggles.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Flames were not good, even in that last ten minute segment where they woke up all their shots were floaters from the point with little to no traffic. But I suggest that the Avs let their foot off the pedal towards the end there, some of it was because Flames were sleepwalking for first 50 minutes of the game making the Avs relax and a good chuck is due to a lack of talent. A lack of talent where playing Nichushkin 16 minutes a night isn't a recipe for success. Not that he was bad, I actually thought he was the opposite against the Flames, but he's still a player who needs limited ice time IMHO.
Flames sucked and we were lucky not to face a better team. Thought the Avs had a poor 1st (despite the goals), a good 2nd and an awful 3rd.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
3Y9jMwM.gif

This was a GIF from last year's playoffs from someone on the oilers board (wish I knew who made it)

Watching Z be all over Johnny again tonight just makes me laugh. The height difference and you can tell he enjoys it lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

He wants that last goal of his career badly :sarcasm:

Not sure if lifting weights has anything to do with his current weaknesses. Perhaps practicing reactionary skills or at least do some Pavel Barber stickhandling drills can help with his Easter Island Stonehenge hands.

Reactions: Avs425

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kadri has tried doing too much at times but I can't say I'm upset with his game. 5 points in the last 5 games, has only been out there for two goals against, and is still going strong on faceoffs. This is also while playing with some less than ideal linemates because of the injuries.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Kadri has tried doing too much at times but I can't say I'm upset with his game. 5 points in the last 5 games, has only been out there for two goals against, and is still going strong on faceoffs. This is also while playing with some less than ideal linemates because of the injuries.

I find him to be the best cycling/below the goal line forward we have, to be honest. Love the puck control while being checked and how he consistently creates chances off the cycle.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad