GDT: Game 21 - Avalanche @ Flames - For the Fallen

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
While I hate the shell they go into to protect leads at present, to be fair this is a team absolutely wrecked with injuries still managing to compete (and on most nights, still win) so ya know...

gift_horse.gif

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Another extremely fun Avs game to watch.

The most entertaining part for me was watching injured Z still hit Tkchuck, only for him to give up when trying to enter the zone right after with Z heading his direction again. Watching players like him squirm is always great.

Reactions: 2bowhunt

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
While I hate the shell they go into to protect leads at present, to be fair this is a team absolutely wrecked with injuries still managing to compete (and on most nights, still win) so ya know...

gift_horse.gif

Idk, I don't really think Calgary's late goals were do to turtling this time. In fact, after they scored those two, I thought the Avs were insanely aggressive in the neutral zone and did a phenomenal job of breaking up plays.

Normally, I would agree with you however.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Idk, I don't really think Calgary's late goals were do to turtling this time. In fact, after they scored those two, I thought the Avs were insanely aggressive in the neutral zone and did a phenomenal job of breaking up plays.

Normally, I would agree with you however.

No, I agree, the goals against weren't the result of turtling, I just don't like their gameplan when the opposition pulls the goalie. They collapse WAY too low this season, when before they caused turnovers and were almost automatic in scoring empty netters. That's why Bednar usually had the top line out there in those situations.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As for the defensemen, not gonna say a word about Makar. The Girard/EJ pairing was...not good, and I really wish they'd try something different. Graves was a'ight, and Z plain manhandled Johnny Hockey. Was not thrilled with Ian Cole, just kept making bad decisions with the puck and of course he took that bad penalty with a minute to go. But he was clearly outta gas--I'm guessing his conditioning is still very much a work in progress.

Again, though...this team is pretty damn well beat up. A win is a win is a win.

Reactions: LTC Pain

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Another extremely fun Avs game to watch.

The most entertaining part for me was watching injured Z still hit Tkchuck, only for him to give up when trying to enter the zone right after with Z heading his direction again. Watching players like him squirm is always great.

Anyone with some gifs of Z smashing?

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The things he does well are quiet and go unnoticed so everyone pounces on him the second he makes a mistake. That's just the life of a defender who primarily focuses on the back end.

I think that's the main reason, though I think there's some unfair criticism of his offense relative to the rest of the team too. Nobody is putting up points outside of Makar, and that includes Girard.

If EJ puts up a goal and an assist next game he'd be tied for 2nd in goals and points among Avalanche D men. And that's as a guy not being used in an offensive role, and not getting a lot of puck time. He's deferring to Girard for that.

They really need to call up Rosen asap if he's healthy, to provide some puck movement and offense to the third pair. Graves and Cole need to alternate as scratches, even though they were a little better this game.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Who else was pleasantly surprised by the Flames not gooning it up? I expected when I saw Rinaldo (spelling?) called up that we'd see Tkatchcuf*** (spelling?), Lubitch (spelling?) and Rinaldo taking runs at our guys.

Reactions: 5280 and Avs

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Who else was pleasantly surprised by the Flames not gooning it up? I expected when I saw Rinaldo (spelling?) called up that we'd see Tkatchcu**** (spelling?), Lubitch (spelling?) and Rinaldo taking runs at our guys.

Honestly, they looked so downtrodden and uninspired. I too was a little surprised that no one was trying to goon it up on their side, nor was "Big Save Dave" yapping at everyone like he usually does.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad