Post-Game Talk: Game 20: Avalanche @ Ducks | 11/18/18 | 18:00 MT | 1,000th Franchise Win!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just finished watching my thoughts.

1. Poor first period but team got better as the game went on.

2. Top line was fantastic from the second period onwards especially Nathan and Mikko. Felt Landy had some trouble with the puck tonight but his defensive game was good. 8 point night for them.

3. Yah not feeling the Grubaeur thing. In his defense he was rock solid after the third goal and that save on Kase was huge looking back on it.

4. Kamenev has looked better and better each game but tonight might have been his best game to date. He was engaged, he was moving his feet and most of all he was making plays. He got a bump up demotion there at in the third period. The bump up was he got to play with Soderberg. The demotion was Calvert was on that line.

5. Matt Calvert is a garbage hockey player. Sorry but you have to be a little more than just a guy who can skate well to play in this league. I really dont see much of a difference between him and Dries in all honesty.

6. Z didnt have a good game but he did have a nice moment rubbing out Aberg in the third and clearing it. Pretty routine but baby steps.

7. Tyson Barrie was moving tonight and he looked amazing doing it. I really wish he would have shot on that one rush instead of passing it off to Ghetto and turning it over.

8. EJ had a rough rough night. Pucks were bouncing off his stick all night, he couldnt clear pucks and he was making all kinds of questionable plays with the puck. That play in OT is just something you cannot do when you have possession. Poor game from him but his dish to Mackinnon to start the play that lead to the tieing goal.

9. Rantanen is no fluke. I know people from other teams might be thinking this is some hot streak but sorry this is the norm.

10. Didnt notice Jost to much tonight. We couldve have used some secondary from the secondary to make things a little easier tonight.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That puck had eyes. He couldn't see and slid over to the open ice. Probably didn't think it could go through on that side.
It was a decent shot, but Grubauer played it terribly. Has to be better at tracking the puck. NHL goalie's simply don't lose track of the puck that badly.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It was a decent shot, but Grubauer played it terribly. Has to be better at tracking the puck. NHL goalie's simply don't lose track of the puck that badly.
Yah it was a strange move. Made up for it on those breakaways. He also saved the first goal and then put it in his own net. Decent game all around

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
I never thought I'd say this, but missing Wilson showed tonight. Hes quietly effective on the forecheck.

For being 'Captain Average', I have definitely seen him play above average. Though most statisticians know that observations will scatter to some extent above and below that line.

But really, I have faith in him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

3. Yah not feeling the Grubaeur thing. In his defense he was rock solid after the third goal and that save on Kase was huge looking back on it.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is seeing through the BS. Grubauer has been very average to shaky all but one game for us.

Yeah sure he made a couple of nice saves after the 3rd goal against to keep us in the game, but the fact is it he put himself into must save territory by letting in two trashy goals earlier in the game.

He sits with a 3+ GAA and a sub .900 save percentage. His record is propped up by excellent goal support. Right now I simply do not feel comfortable at all with him in goal.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

1. Poor first period but team got better as the game went on.

2. Top line was fantastic from the second period onwards especially Nathan and Mikko. Felt Landy had some trouble with the puck tonight but his defensive game was good. 8 point night for them.

4. Kamenev has looked better and better each game but tonight might have been his best game to date. He was engaged, he was moving his feet and most of all he was making plays. He got a bump up demotion there at in the third period. The bump up was he got to play with Soderberg. The demotion was Calvert was on that line.

5. Matt Calvert is a garbage hockey player. Sorry but you have to be a little more than just a guy who can skate well to play in this league. I really dont see much of a difference between him and Dries in all honesty.

6. Z didnt have a good game but he did have a nice moment rubbing out Aberg in the third and clearing it. Pretty routine but baby steps.

7. Tyson Barrie was moving tonight and he looked amazing doing it. I really wish he would have shot on that one rush instead of passing it off to Ghetto and turning it over.

8. EJ had a rough rough night. Pucks were bouncing off his stick all night, he couldnt clear pucks and he was making all kinds of questionable plays with the puck. That play in OT is just something you cannot do when you have possession. Poor game from him but his dish to Mackinnon to start the play that lead to the tieing goal.

9. Rantanen is no fluke. I know people from other teams might be thinking this is some hot streak but sorry this is the norm.

10. Didnt notice Jost to much tonight. We couldve have used some secondary from the secondary to make things a little easier tonight.

I thought Calvert actually had an effective game.

Jost missed Wilson

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
How about a save percentage North of .900 for the season. That would be a nice start.

He has been the beneficiary of nice goal support to aide his record.

Go over to the stats page and cover up his record and look at the pure numbers and tell me he's played well this year.

He can thank his teammates for giving him tons of goal support.

Ok so his Save % over 6 games in below 900, OMG blow it up, call the national guard, the FBI, CIA, big deal. His Save % last year .923%, the year before .926, year before that .918. Your going to write off a guy for a save % over 6 game but completely ignore his career numbers? Body of work my friend. And come on man, a beneficiary of goal support??? really. So half of the goalies ever would fall into this category. Avs were no shows in the first period an a half and were down 3-1. Avs showed up in the second half and won 4-3. Once the rest of the team decided to participate Grubs shut the door, and yes part of that is due the the play of those around him but definitely not a benefit of "nice" goal support.

They don't ask how, just how many.....

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Ok so his Save % over 6 games in below 900, OMG blow it up, call the national guard, the FBI, CIA, big deal. His Save % last year .923%, the year before .926, year before that .918. Your going to write off a guy for a save % over 6 game but completely ignore his career numbers? Body of work my friend. And come on man, a beneficiary of goal support??? really. So half of the goalies ever would fall into this category. Avs were no shows in the first period an a half and were down 3-1. Avs showed up in the second half and won 4-3. Once the rest of the team decided to participate Grubs shut the door, and yes part of that is due the the play of those around him but definitely not a benefit of "nice" goal support.

They don't ask how, just how many.....
I never said give up on him, but he sure as hell needs to be playing second fiddle at the moment as he hasn't looked anywhere close to as good as Varly this year.

And my counter to all of your stats over the past couple seasons is yes they look great, but he also had one hell of a good team in front of him, in fact that team was President's trophy good two years ago and Stanley Cup winners last year good. Now he doesn't have that kind of supporting cast, and the numbers have slipped.

He needs to prove that he can play at a high level when his team isn't one of the elite teams of the league. Which to this point this season he hasn't shown.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2