Post-Game Talk: Game 20: Avalanche @ Ducks | 11/18/18 | 18:00 MT | 1,000th Franchise Win!

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Am I alone in feeling like Kamenev has a possibility of being our #2C if he continues to play this way?
Ive been trying not to get ahead of myself but the more he plays, the more I think he’s a gem and our best available solution to the line 2 problem. He reads plays well with + without the puck, has good hands, and is surprisingly quick. i love that Bednar recognized mid-game that Kamenev was giving him little choice but to move him up.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Feels like a broken record at this point but EJ was below average yet again.

Andrighetto could've easily been called for a cross check before the goal. The only reason he was open was he knocked down the Ducks defender. Need more good play in front of the net like that. Him and Landy are the only guys who seem to like they'll battle in front of the net like that.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Barrie looks very good right now, his slapshot seems to be getting through to the net and his defensive play is acceptable. He makes good passes up the ice. I have never stopped supporting the guy and hope he re-signs; I think Avs would be much worse without him.

EJ...I don't know what's going on with him. He looks slower, worse with the puck, even smaller. It must be some kind of pain, maybe accumulated over the years, maybe a hidden injury. Nothing looked good about his game last night.

On another note I think Avs need a good LHD at some point. The puck always ends up with Cole or Zadorov and the play then dies.

In terms of forwards, the positives at the secondary level are Soderberg, Kamenev, and especially Ghetto. Jost was meh last night, Kerfoot didn't do much either. I'm more and more inclined to think Soderberg should be the 2nd line center next to Ghetto.

Calvert is bad. I keep hoping #11 is replaced by our old #11 McGinn. Now that was a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Pokecheque

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I didn't realize Calvert's mom had cancer until the hockey fights cancer night. I imagine that's affecting his game a little (I know it would mine anyways). Hopefully everything turns out okay for him and his family there.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I didn't realize Calvert's mom had cancer until the hockey fights cancer night. I imagine that's affecting his game a little (I know it would mine anyways). Hopefully everything turns out okay for him and his family there.
I feel for him but I think that's just what he is, an energy 4th liner. And when he's put higher in the lineup it really shows.

Reactions: klozge

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I personally think its the latter. His injuries have caught up to him. I mean we all knew it was going to happen eventually.

Woah now, we were assured it wasn't going to happen to him for a while and he'd great until his mid 30s. :sarcasm:

I think there is some rust with EJ and he certainly isn't playing up to his capabilities.... but I also think it is clear he isn't a quasi #1 that could have been argued a few years ago and we are going down the path of drop off. He's better than he has shown still, but I don't think people should be expecting top pairing level of play for too much longer.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Whenever someone has beaten a dead horse for years claiming something will happen, it takes about two seconds for them to say I told you so. Even if it's way too early to be doing so. Like when Varly was done last year because of his save percentage in November. Then went on to have a great year and finished with a great save percentage.

Those who love making I told you so posts all the time, wouldn't love it so much if they were called out on all the things they've been wrong about in the past, that they've tried to sweep under the rug and hope everyone has forgotten.

EJ has had an up and down start to the year. This was not a good game, but he had a couple good games recently where he was skating great. If he had slowed down, he wouldn't be able to skate like that. His issues this year are mental. He's making poor decisions at times. This isn't due to age.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, he doesn't necessarily look slow, he's just making poor decisions. I DO think he needs to start considering playing a quieter, more defensive-minded game. I don't think he's the guy that can do end-to-end rushes with the puck anymore.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
EJ just isn't explosive in the way that he used to be. His game has been changing for a couple of years to compensate for this, but I'm not sure how much longer he's going to be able to be one of our top defensemen.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Having guys like Barrie, Girard, soon to be Makar, I think if EJ learned to play a more simple defensive game vs the condor flights we've become accustom to, that would be the best route for him to still be effective throughout his contract.

If everything goes well in 2-3 years I'd like to see:

Makar-Girard
Barrie-Zadorov
EJ-Cole

By that time I'd imagine something happening with EJ or Barrie though. Not to mention guys like Meloche and Timmins.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, he doesn't necessarily look slow, he's just making poor decisions. I DO think he needs to start considering playing a quieter, more defensive-minded game. I don't think he's the guy that can do end-to-end rushes with the puck anymore.

I think there is a real question on if he is capable of that style of play. EJ has never been known for exceptional hockey IQ. He was an all tools, no tool box player until he gathered up enough experience to start playing more sound hockey... start taking some tools away and I'm not sure he has the adjustment in his game. He should be solid (and better than he is currently playing) for a few more seasons, but I don't think he will be a guy that can change his style of play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think there's been a bit of a transition with Girard as his partner. He's already playing a more defensive stay at home style. I'm not sure this is great for him though. I think getting his feet moving early, and skating through the neutral zone with the puck, helps him get into games physically and mentally.

The D core is still in flux now though so there aren't a lot better options. Nemeth is worse this year, and Cole is playing well with Barrie. I'd like to see Cole tried with EJ at some point when they have a chance. I'd like to see if he starts looking more comfortable on the ice and finds his horse again to jump through the neutral zone with the puck.

He will have to find a way to get into these games without having the puck as much though, because long term it seems like his partner will either be Makar or Girard. They don't really have a two way LD that plays a simple game, where he can spend more time making plays with the puck. Unless they switch Timmins to the left, but I don't think he has as much experience on his off side.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know why Bednar seems so against a Barbs/Zads third pairing. I guess he just doesn't trust either of those guys farther than he can throw them at present, but yet Nemeth has been far worse than either of those guys of late.

Yeah I'm not sure why Barberio sat instead of Nemeth this game. Nemeth was clearly worse.

I'm getting the feeling Bednar scratching these guys might be partially to send a message to the rest of the team. So they don't get complacent again. Some of these lineup decisions don't make a ton of sense, and they started after the losing streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad