Post-Game Talk: Game 20: Avalanche @ Ducks | 11/18/18 | 18:00 MT | 1,000th Franchise Win!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm seriously staggered at how good Rants has been. To be in the same conversation as HOF legends like Forsberg and Sakic at this point in the season is really too big to be overstated.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Great win, fun season! :) Good for Nemeth getting a win vs Rakell, his old teammate from AIK. :-D

I am concerned by Zadorov's limited icetime though, I would hate him leaving the team which is likely if this continues.

What has happened? :-(

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The win was nice. Those are games we should win.

Not sure what I think of Grubs yet but he did make some saves to keep us in it and we won the game

It’s amazing how different you can feel when your team wins a measly 3 on 3 Five minute OT

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
If we had lost to this Ducks team without Gibson in net, I would have been extremely disappointed. Good to see the top line step up and have a great night. Ghetto was really good too, I hope the feisty lil Swiss stays healthy.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
It was a decent shot, but Grubauer played it terribly. Has to be better at tracking the puck. NHL goalie's simply don't lose track of the puck that badly.

I don't get what Grubauer was thinking in that one. Sure Getzlaf dragged his stick towards him when he shot the puck, but you can't miscalculate where the shot is going that bad. Also in the 1-0 goal Grubauer slid like Giguere when he was with Avs to the backside post.

Some genious mentioned those flaws in the last game thread.

I have said this before but Grubauer's lateral movement is quite awful and for some reason he has trouble locating the puck through traffic. He seems like a Bernier 2.0.

Besides those goals Grubauer was quite decent, but your number one goalie can't let those in right at the beginning of the game or after your team has tied the game.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Hard game to watch for the most part and I can't believe Bednar seriously tried Soda with Kamenev to get the scoring going. Fortunately he came to his senses a bit later.
No idea, why Dano played. Just send him down and thank the heavens if he gets claimed. Let Greer play a few games in a row.
I don't think I can stand Grubauer.
Barberio should have played over Nemeth.
Important two points against a currently terrible team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nate and Mikko are just so dominant when they want to be. It's a very special thing to be able to watch that line play hockey. Haven't seen an Avalanche player dominate so often like they have since Peter Forsberg.

Landy doesn't get as much credit as the two big dogs, but he does so many things to help that line be successful. He was a big net front pretense on the Avs three final goals to get them back in it and win. Those goals don't happen without him.

Grubauer with a mixed game. Some really good saves holding the team in the game but another iffy goal on Getzlaf. Not sure why he slid to the wrong post and left half the net open but he made up for it with some strong saves after.

Glad Bednar didn't bench Z again after that interference penalty. That was worse than the one against Wagner. If he benches him there, things start snowballing out of control IMO. Should be interesting to see if he scratches him again. This wasn't a great game from him. He looked too tentative at times to me and overly safe. I remember one play where he had room to break out with the puck in front of his net, but he was scared to turn it over so he went behind the net instead, and they got hemmed in the zone. I just hope this tough love approach doesn't backfire. He was playing fine before this.

Cole and EJ had pretty tough games. Not sure what happened there, but EJ was making some pretty bad decisions with the puck and turning it over way too often. He's got to be better than that.

They have got to shuffle up those bottom three lines. They are just not working. If they're gonna play Jost on the wing, they should put him with Soda. They made a great play together last game, and they compliment each other much better than Kerfoot/Wilson/Ghetto. Compher can't get back soon enough. Not just for his potential production, but he finally gives them a decent RW option outside of Mikko.

Great come back win though. Playoff teams need a few of theses a season.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
I never said give up on him, but he sure as hell needs to be playing second fiddle at the moment as he hasn't looked anywhere close to as good as Varly this year.

And my counter to all of your stats over the past couple seasons is yes they look great, but he also had one hell of a good team in front of him, in fact that team was President's trophy good two years ago and Stanley Cup winners last year good. Now he doesn't have that kind of supporting cast, and the numbers have slipped.

He needs to prove that he can play at a high level when his team isn't one of the elite teams of the league. Which to this point this season he hasn't shown.

Fair enough. I will argue anything to the death! When I’m drunk haha

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hard game to watch for the most part and I can't believe Bednar seriously tried Soda with Kamenev to get the scoring going. Fortunately he came to his senses a bit later.
No idea, why Dano played. Just send him down and thank the heavens if he gets claimed. Let Greer play a few games in a row.
I don't think I can stand Grubauer.
Barberio should have played over Nemeth.
Important two points against a currently terrible team.

I'm confused. Why on Earth was this a bad thing? Kam was easily our most dangerous forward aside from the top line last night.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'm confused. Why on Earth was this a bad thing? Kam was easily our most dangerous forward aside from the top line last night.
Because they are too similar. Both Soda and Kamenev (on different lines) paired with skilled wingers make things happen offensively and are good defensively, the both of them together (on one line) with a mediocre winger make a great shutdown line which won't do much offensively.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Nate and Mikko are just so dominant when they want to be. It's a very special thing to be able to watch that line play hockey. Haven't seen an Avalanche player dominate so often like they have since Peter Forsberg.

Landy doesn't get as much credit as the two big dogs, but he does so many things to help that line be successful. He was a big net front pretense on the Avs three final goals to get them back in it and win. Those goals don't happen without him.

Grubauer with a mixed game. Some really good saves holding the team in the game but another iffy goal on Getzlaf. Not sure why he slid to the wrong post and left half the net open but he made up for it with some strong saves after.

Glad Bednar didn't bench Z again after that interference penalty. That was worse than the one against Wagner. If he benches him there, things start snowballing out of control IMO. Should be interesting to see if he scratches him again. This wasn't a great game from him. He looked too tentative at times to me and overly safe. I remember one play where he had room to break out with the puck in front of his net, but he was scared to turn it over so he went behind the net instead, and they got hemmed in the zone. I just hope this tough love approach doesn't backfire. He was playing fine before this.

Cole and EJ had pretty tough games. Not sure what happened there, but EJ was making some pretty bad decisions with the puck and turning it over way too often. He's got to be better than that.

They have got to shuffle up those bottom three lines. They are just not working. If they're gonna play Jost on the wing, they should put him with Soda. They made a great play together last game, and they compliment each other much better than Kerfoot/Wilson/Ghetto. Compher can't get back soon enough. Not just for his potential production, but he finally gives them a decent RW option outside of Mikko.

Great come back win though. Playoff teams need a few of theses a season.
Yeah when they showed Bednar after Z took that penalty he just looked up to the heavens like what the f*** am I going to do now? I don’t think he really has any other coarse of action but to play him, now, though. Need a confident Z going forward and sitting him didn’t seem to help in that department. I get his frustration, though. The timing of his penalties really stink.

I really get the feeling that he is trying to get him to be a more consistent hockey player who doesn’t make the bonehead plays every once in a while. He’s really got to get it through to him that it’s not a good idea to take a penalty there or the last time he played.

Last edited:
Reactions: henchman21

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Because they are too similar. Both Soda and Kamenev (on different lines) paired with skilled wingers make things happen offensively and are good defensively, the both of them together (on one line) with a mediocre winger make a great shutdown line which won't do much offensively.

Fair, but I think especially last night when it didn't seem like anybody else was going, I think it was a good idea to put together the two of them and see what they could create.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
True lol and I knew that since they just had that thing about 90's players still left.

I'm an idiot, ignore me.

Done! :sarcasm:

Brian Hayward has literally been whining about the refs not calling that trip for 2 minutes.

That was the absolute worst, most biased broadcast I've listened to all year (and we've heard the wild).

These guys are absolute garbage. No ducks player EVER makes a bad play or a mistake. If they do something blatant then it's just the other guy trying to 'sell-it' for a penalty. No penalty awarded to ducks players is ever fair and it almost always seems to be a 'weak call'. Just f***ing pathetic. Seems like the announcers match the whiny attitude of the team. Getzlaf gets bumped in the 1st period and goes apeshit because apparently it's a contact sport for everyone else but make sure you don't touch him. :laugh:

FoxSports HD seems like they are always 5 years behind everyone else. Are they buying old equipment at a discount or they just don't know what they're doing??

Very happy with the win to stick it to these chumps even though we didn't really come close to playing our best game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->