Proposal: Gallagher for a 1st and a top prospect, no more no less.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I suppose your right, it could be Carey Price and his ridiculously pricey contract

Lemme get this right...

You make a troll offer for Gallagher and you're unhappy with my response?

That's something.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Just about any GM of a competing NHL team would scurry to make this happen (maybe not for say a top 5-10 prospect overall but a top prospect in general). On these forums though, it shouldn’t be surprising that the opposite view is the popular one.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I don't. It's the thread discussion on his value. Personally, Gallagher is part of my future team.
Holy hell I’ve agreed with everything you’ve said so far, must be because you’ve adjusted the spelling in your handle and you’ve come over to the dark side (firing Bergevin). Hi how are you and welcome

Reactions: groovejuice

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Are you going to put him in deep freeze until a real gm is hired or are you going with the brain transplant to a cyborg body plan that the wings used for Chelios? You might be waiting for a while is what I'm trying to say.

I’d like to freeze his attitude and brain and then put him in Crosby or McJesus’ body with all their skill, he deserves it

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I'd trade a top 10 protected 1st + yamamoto for him. We would also need to throw in a cap dump so maybe something along the lines of :

Gally
Lehkonen

2019 1st (top 10 protected)
2020 2nd
Sekera

:)
Yamamoto disappeared from the offer :laugh:

And for me Lekhonen is not an add-on, I'm sure he'll bounce back this year and is still useful.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
The thing about BGally is that he's a darling with people who love intangibles, grit, heart, pestiness, leadership, all that jazz. But the nerds love him too. You don't have to dive far into the advanced stats to see it:

With the notable exception of the duo of Marchand and Bergeron, Brendan Gallagher has been the league's best shot generator since coming into the league. (65.8 CF/60)

He scores well with respect to xG and WAR: He leads the league in 5v5 ixGF/60 since entering the league. Ranks 14th in total WAR (according to Corsica) among skaters over that same time period, despite lost considerable time to injury, and despite lower TOI than most other top forwards

He is almost-uniquely good at what he does. That being driving 5-on-5 offence. Scour the league, and you will find very few that are better. Historically, he has struggled on the PP, but two of his last three seasons have seen a bump in the those numbers. Perhaps a couple of blips on the radar. Perhaps just the sign of a young man learning the way an NHL powerplay operates and his place within it

He's been the Canadiens' best forward since he came into the league. Best skater they've had since the Subban trade. None of this should come as a surprise. It shouldn't be new or interesting. And yet, because of the "low-skill" style of game that he's perceived to play, he's often not thought of as the high-end player he is. His skills do not manifest themselves in flash ways, but he is indeed skilled. You don't win board battles the way he does without hands. Nor can you open up a defender in order to slide the puck across to a teammate on a zone entry. And he always makes the right play. His intelligence too does not get enough notice. If you don't make note of the frequency and efficacy of these little things he does right, you can miss it. I can recall as recently as last offseason him being referred to as a "third-liner on a good team" on the Canadiens board. His own fanbase. The people that watch him 82 times a year. But make no mistake he is extremely good, and he always has been, and he probably will continue to be for quite some time. For the next three years at least. During those years he will come to you at a laughable 3.75M caphit (obviously his agent also failed to see his value)

I do not want to see him traded. It would pain me to see him go. He's among my favourite Canadiens ever. This not me wishing for a trade, but rather my sales pitch: If he has to go you're gonna want him to go to your team. And if the price is a mid-to-late first round pick and a top-prospect, I don't think you'll regret it

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
The thing about BGally is that he's a darling with people who love intangibles, grit, heart, pestiness, leadership, all that jazz. But the nerds love him too. You don't have to dive far into the advanced stats to see it:

With the notable exception of the duo of Marchand and Bergeron, Brendan Gallagher has been the league's best shot generator since coming into the league. (65.8 CF/60)

He scores well with respect to xG and WAR: He leads the league in 5v5 ixGF/60 since entering the league. Ranks 14th in total WAR (according to Corsica) among skaters over that same time period, despite lost considerable time to injury, and despite lower TOI than most other top forwards

He is almost-uniquely good at what he does. That being driving 5-on-5 offence. Scour the league, and you will find very few that are better. Historically, he has struggled on the PP, but two of his last three seasons have seen a bump in the those numbers. Perhaps a couple of blips on the radar. Perhaps just the sign of a young man learning the way an NHL powerplay operates and his place within it

He's been the Canadiens' best forward since he came into the league. Best skater they've had since the Subban trade. None of this should come as a surprise. It shouldn't be new or interesting. And yet, because of the "low-skill" style of game that he's perceived to play, he's often not thought of as the high-end player he is. His skills do not manifest themselves in flash ways, but he is indeed skilled. You don't win board battles the way he does without hands. Nor can you open up a defender in order to slide the puck across to a teammate on a zone entry. And he always makes the right play. His intelligence too does not get enough notice. If you don't make note of the frequency and efficacy of these little things he does right, you can miss it. I can recall as recently as last offseason him being referred to as a "third-liner on a good team" on the Canadiens board. His own fanbase. The people that watch him 82 times a year. But make no mistake he is extremely good, and he always has been, and he probably will continue to be for quite some time. For the next three years at least. During those years he will come to you at a laughable 3.75M caphit (obviously his agent also failed to see his value)

I do not want to see him traded. It would pain me to see him go. He's among my favourite Canadiens ever. This not me wishing for a trade, but rather my sales pitch: If he has to go you're gonna want him to go to your team. And if the price is a mid-to-late first round pick and a top-prospect, I don't think you'll regret it
Thank you so much for this.

I hope this has educated some posters who were quick to dismiss him. The guy has a high value and every GM knows that. This thread was just for laughs anyways, he’s the only guy on the team that I would probably hold back tears if we traded him and I would have a hard time dealing with it. I know we need to rebuild but I never wanna see that guy traded.

My ask of a 1st and a top prospect was just for fun to see what people’s reactions would be. Realistically a few contending teams would be bidding to acquire him, he’s on a unicorn contract for 3 more years and he’s in his prime, in top shape and firing on all cylinders. Many posters here have made horribly unrealistic offers, some for personal laughs and some probably don’t know the player all that well or understand the market value.

The fact is that Gallagher has a high value in this league and would attract lots of attention if he hit the trade market. A 1st (20-30 range) and a top prospect from a contender that might not even pan out in the NHL doesn’t sniff you Gallagher in the real world. He is too good and his contract is magical, a team would have to overpay to get him.

But I understand this if HF and posters aren’t always going to be fair or realistic.

It’s all in fun people, please stay respectful, no need to attack players or teams.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If they're willing to take a bad contract back that's got 1-2 years left they should easily get that return.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
this is garbage tho?

It's more likely what he's actually worth, it's probably a little high. Please note, I'm not even a Flames fan I just think Gallagher to the Flames, and Montreal dealing with a western team makes a lot of sense, if this kind of trade were to happen, and I also said, I doubt it would.

Look at some of the previous made deals involving NHL forwards who had term, and a 1st was involved:

Look what O'Rielly (who's a lot better than Gallagher) got. 1st + 2nd + Thompson + Sobotka + Berglund

Look what Tatar got 1st + 2nd + 3rd <--- Which to me is pretty close to what Gallagher would get, given how close their production and ages are.

Schenn got 1st + conditional 1st + Lehtera

So how is a 1st + Dube + Lazar garbage? Dube's worth more than a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad