G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Is this 1.75 years of Lundqvist worth losing or stifling the development a potential franchise goalie? The Rangers have 2 outstanding young keepers. Tough situation and Shesty’s early AHL dominance isn’t making it any easier.

It doesn't matter. Lundqvist has a NMC. He's not going anywhere.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It doesn't matter. Lundqvist has a NMC. He's not going anywhere.

I highly doubt this will happen, but I think there’s a strong argument to be made for having Georgiev and Shesty splitting time in the NHL by 20-21 at the latest. If the Rangers make the bold move of moving Hank to 3rd on the depth chart, I see him as the type to ask for a trade rather than ride the bench. There’s also the question of whether he could even be traded at a 50% retained 4.25m for one year.

Like I said, probably not going to happen even if it’s the right move.

Reactions: blindpass

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, another 2-1 OT victory for Hartford. Shesterkin stopped 29 out of 30 shots.

Hope, he'll be called up to the Rangers soon, because getting used to the small ice he can in St. Petersburg.

Reactions: kp61c and andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Well, another 2-1 OT victory for Hartford. Shesterkin stopped 29 out of 30 shots.

Hope, he'll be called up to the Rangers soon, because getting used to the small ice he can in St. Petersburg.
Shesterkin is definitely the heir apparent to King Henrik!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What doesn't make sense to me is why he wasn't given a guaranteed spot for being an elite prospect. Kakko got a guaranteed spot for being an elite prospect. And I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten one. I think he should've. The bottom half of the roster makes way for your franchise cornerstone winger. You put him in the best position for him to have success, and develop his game. If you think he's NHL ready coming into the season, he's takes a spot, and the lesser value pieces to the franchise are competing for one less spot. If the bottom half of the roster gets their feelings hurt, it's too bad. This is a business.

Why wasn't it like that with Shestyorkin? I'd argue he's just as talented, and he's actually much better and more proven. I understand the parameters of the situation. Lundqvist has a NMC, and Georgiyev is a good goalie himself, but it almost feels like a waste where you are having one of your 2-3 franchise cornerstones play what for him amounts to exhibition matches in the minors because you didn't want to configure your roster to start off with the premise that Shestyorkin starts in the NHL, and others fill in around him at the goalie position. To me, it's yet another example of why Jeff Gorton is in over his head, and this organization does not do a good job of developing their best prospects.

I've watched all these games that Shestyorkin has played. The last four games, I'm not sure he's allowed a goal that he had a serious chance at stopping, and he's only allowed 3 goals in those four games. He looks utterly unchallenged. He looks like the type of player that would probably be competing for the Calder in the league above the AHL, not a player who belongs in the AHL. I think it's a real waste to have him playing in the AHL. I'll continue to say that.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
What doesn't make sense to me is why he wasn't given a guaranteed spot for being an elite prospect...

Because they have two NHL goalies (one they are stuck with, and one they'd want to get something back for), because it can take time to adjust to the shape of the NA rink (though that's looking good so far), and maybe because they aren't worried about winning quite yet.

If he keeps playing this way he will force their hand.

Reactions: haveandare

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He's got to play in the AHL to get accustomed to the angles of the smaller rink. However, by mid-season, his play may dictate a move needs to be made. Unfortunately, Lundqvist still has another year on his deal after this season. If his bad enough this year, maybe he retires in 2020.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What doesn't make sense to me is why he wasn't given a guaranteed spot for being an elite prospect. Kakko got a guaranteed spot for being an elite prospect. And I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten one. I think he should've. The bottom half of the roster makes way for your franchise cornerstone winger. You put him in the best position for him to have success, and develop his game. If you think he's NHL ready coming into the season, he's takes a spot, and the lesser value pieces to the franchise are competing for one less spot. If the bottom half of the roster gets their feelings hurt, it's too bad. This is a business.

Why wasn't it like that with Shestyorkin? I'd argue he's just as talented, and he's actually much better and more proven. I understand the parameters of the situation. Lundqvist has a NMC, and Georgiyev is a good goalie himself, but it almost feels like a waste where you are having one of your 2-3 franchise cornerstones play what for him amounts to exhibition matches in the minors because you didn't want to configure your roster to start off with the premise that Shestyorkin starts in the NHL, and others fill in around him at the goalie position. To me, it's yet another example of why Jeff Gorton is in over his head, and this organization does not do a good job of developing their best prospects.

I've watched all these games that Shestyorkin has played. The last four games, I'm not sure he's allowed a goal that he had a serious chance at stopping, and he's only allowed 3 goals in those four games. He looks utterly unchallenged. He looks like the type of player that would probably be competing for the Calder in the league above the AHL, not a player who belongs in the AHL. I think it's a real waste to have him playing in the AHL. I'll continue to say that.
A few reasons.

Mostly because he plays a position you only have 2 spots for, and the team already has 2 guys ahead of him. Kakko plays a position you have 4 spots for and the Rangers absolutely don't have 4 locks at RW above him.

Additionally, he struggled at TC just this year while Kakko absolutely tore the tournament up. TC alone doesn't make or break a pre-season, but when a goalie doesn't stand out at that low level of competition a month or so before you have to decide if he's ready for the NHL, and more specifically if he can push out either of your 2 established NHL players at that position, it counts a little extra.

IMO not configuring your roster to depend on a player who hasn't played a single NA game at the opening of the season isn't a sign of a GM being in over his head, it's just basic sense. Look at Kravtsov for example, he was proven in the KHL and didn't make a lot happen in a few AHL games. It's a different league. You don't move a guy like Hank or Georgiev to force a spot for a guy who hasn't played in this country yet based on his KHL resume. That's not wise.

On top of that, Gorton did great work at this position in Boston. He's clearly not "in over his head" - he has a resume at GM in this very league.

MikeSteaks

Sep 30, 2017

You really don't know why he is starting in the AHL?

You sir, are in over your head.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A few reasons.

Mostly because he plays a position you only have 2 spots for, and the team already has 2 guys ahead of him. Kakko plays a position you have 4 spots for and the Rangers absolutely don't have 4 locks at RW above him.

Additionally, he struggled at TC just this year while Kakko absolutely tore the tournament up. TC alone doesn't make or break a pre-season, but when a goalie doesn't stand out at that low level of competition a month or so before you have to decide if he's ready for the NHL, and more specifically if he can push out either of your 2 established NHL players at that position, it counts a little extra.

IMO not configuring your roster to depend on a player who hasn't played a single NA game at the opening of the season isn't a sign of a GM being in over his head, it's just basic sense. Look at Kravtsov for example, he was proven in the KHL and didn't make a lot happen in a few AHL games. It's a different league. You don't move a guy like Hank or Georgiev to force a spot for a guy who hasn't played in this country yet based on his KHL resume. That's not wise.

On top of that, Gorton did great work at this position in Boston. He's clearly not "in over his head" - he has a resume at GM in this very league.

Thats bogus. Quinn said that young skill forwards are only competing for 2 spots to begin with, and I believe that they'd probably only extend that to three for a skilled forward. So it's 2 v. 3, which is not a whole lot different. It's not as if we have tremendous talent at either forward or goalie that should be keeping an NHL-ready eventual franchise player off the team.

And Shestyorkin only struggled at that rookie tournament, if you compare it to how he usually does. In that first game, the defense was calamitous. About as bad as I think I've ever seen defense played. No one would've kept the puck out of the net in that game with the sheer amount of grade A chances faced. He was good in the other game. Kakko also only played one game, and wasn't as dominant as stated. He one one great period. Vesey a few years back remains the best performance in recent memory I've seen from a Ranger. And thats kind of the point. If Vesey at this prospect tournament can dominate, it shows the worth. Once preseason started against NHL pros/good AHL pros, we saw that Shestyorkin was NHL ready, and while I thought Kakko should've started in the NHL, he's the one showing that he could use some further minor league development.

Trying to use Kravtsov's NHL readiness as a point against Shestyorkin's shows the problem with your thinking. Let's not conflate current ability and potential. Shestyorkin is five years older, and probably one of the best 23 year old hockey players in the world. Kravtsov might have similar potential, but he's nowhere near as good yet. Apples to oranges. Besides, what's so great about Lundqvist or Georgiyev. Do you think either are even top 20 goaltending assets in the league? How about top 20 goaltenders? Because there's a good chance that Shestyorkin is top 20 in both.

As for Gorton, I don't know why some of you are so convinced by the job he's done. We had one of the best teams in the NHL for years. Of course he would be able to sell off older veterans for picks and prospects. That's something that should be considered a bare minimum. With a rebuild, you also need to draft well, develop well. He's picked or acquired five first round pick forwards from the last four drafts, and none of them look like top 6 forwards yet. Thats not to say some of them won't be eventually, but I'm not sure why anyone should be singing his praises yet because he hasn't proven that his attempt to rebuild is showing that its on the right track with producing NHL players needed to turn the team into a contender. Not to mention there are clear cap blunders that are already becoming a problem. That shouldn't be the case with a rebuilding team.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Thats bogus. Quinn said that young skill forwards are only competing for 2 spots to begin with, and I believe that they'd probably only extend that to three for a skilled forward. So it's 2 v. 3, which is not a whole lot different. It's not as if we have tremendous talent at either forward or goalie that should be keeping an NHL-ready eventual franchise player off the team.

And Shestyorkin only struggled at that rookie tournament, if you compare it to how he usually does. In that first game, the defense was calamitous. About as bad as I think I've ever seen defense played. No one would've kept the puck out of the net in that game with the sheer amount of grade A chances faced. He was good in the other game. Kakko also only played one game, and wasn't as dominant as stated. He one one great period. Vesey a few years back remains the best performance in recent memory I've seen from a Ranger. And thats kind of the point. If Vesey at this prospect tournament can dominate, it shows the worth. Once preseason started against NHL pros/good AHL pros, we saw that Shestyorkin was NHL ready, and while I thought Kakko should've started in the NHL, he's the one showing that he could use some further minor league development.

Trying to use Kravtsov's NHL readiness as a point against Shestyorkin's shows the problem with your thinking. Let's not conflate current ability and potential. Shestyorkin is five years older, and probably one of the best 23 year old hockey players in the world. Kravtsov might have similar potential, but he's nowhere near as good yet. Apples to oranges. Besides, what's so great about Lundqvist or Georgiyev. Do you think either are even top 20 goaltending assets in the league? How about top 20 goaltenders? Because there's a good chance that Shestyorkin is top 20 in both.

As for Gorton, I don't know why some of you are so convinced by the job he's done. We had one of the best teams in the NHL for years. Of course he would be able to sell off older veterans for picks and prospects. That's something that should be considered a bare minimum. With a rebuild, you also need to draft well, develop well. He's picked or acquired five first round pick forwards from the last four drafts, and none of them look like top 6 forwards yet. Thats not to say some of them won't be eventually, but I'm not sure why anyone should be singing his praises yet because he hasn't proven that his attempt to rebuild is showing that its on the right track with producing NHL players needed to turn the team into a contender. Not to mention there are clear cap blunders that are already becoming a problem. That shouldn't be the case with a rebuilding team.
Coaches don't always say exactly what the case is. Everything they say and do, especially at the start of camp, is strategic for their own players. It is a fact that there are more forward slots than goalie slots, it's not an opinion.

And it is as if we have tremendous talent at goalie, Georgiev is excellent for his age and experience and Hank has some very impressive statistics in terms of his workload and performance. You're comparing what you think Shestyorkin can be to what those guys actually are in the actual hardest league in the world. Georgiev is the same age as Shesty and has proven a lot more in this league, it's not as if he's years older.

Shestyorkin himself said he struggled at TC. Kakko had 4 points in his game, that's absolutely "dominant."

I only used Kravstov's readiness as a recent example of the difference between the leagues. Being a good KHL player doesn't instantly translate to being just as good an NHL player. Look at Samsonov for a goalie example - didn't have the same KHL resume as Shesty but he still took a big jump down in all stats coming from KHL to NA and spent a year in the AHL adjusting.

For Gorton, you're arguing that guys from the last 2 or 3 drafts aren't impact players yet, so he must be blowing it. Save for top picks and a very small handful of gems nobody could predict on draft day, it takes a few years for guys to become impact players. They are still very much on a normal timeline.

Overall, you asked questions and these are my answers. You don't have to like them, but if you ask you're going to hear peoeple's opinions, and they're not wrong because you disagree with them. Especially when you're speculating about unknowns.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Coaches don't always say exactly what the case is. Everything they say and do, especially at the start of camp, is strategic for their own players. It is a fact that there are more forward slots than goalie slots, it's not an opinion.

And it is as if we have tremendous talent at goalie, Georgiev is excellent for his age and experience and Hank has some very impressive statistics in terms of his workload and performance. You're comparing what you think Shestyorkin can be to what those guys actually are in the actual hardest league in the world. Georgiev is the same age as Shesty and has proven a lot more in this league, it's not as if he's years older.

Shestyorkin himself said he struggled at TC. Kakko had 4 points in his game, that's absolutely "dominant."

I only used Kravstov's readiness as a recent example of the difference between the leagues. Being a good KHL player doesn't instantly translate to being just as good an NHL player. Look at Samsonov for a goalie example - didn't have the same KHL resume as Shesty but he still took a big jump down in all stats coming from KHL to NA and spent a year in the AHL adjusting.

For Gorton, you're arguing that guys from the last 2 or 3 drafts aren't impact players yet, so he must be blowing it. Save for top picks and a very small handful of gems nobody could predict on draft day, it takes a few years for guys to become impact players. They are still very much on a normal timeline.

Overall, you asked questions and these are my answers. You don't have to like them, but if you ask you're going to hear peoeple's opinions, and they're not wrong because you disagree with them. Especially when you're speculating about unknowns.

The problem is the Rangers will have to somehow solve the situation soon enough. While Shesterkin is saying right words about, how he is content about playing in the AHL, it's obvious he's come to NA to not to stay in Hartford. Hank is signed through 2021 year, Georgiev is RFA after this season, so it's either Hank will retire (unlikely), get traded (unlikely), or one of Shesterkin/Georgiev stay in the AHL, which won't make them happy. Considering, Shesterkin has the KHL clause, there is a good chance, he'll use it, if Rangers don't play him in the AHL.

SKA plays on the small ice this season, so Shesterkin won't damage his NA rink experience by coming back to Russian.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The problem is the Rangers will have to somehow solve the situation soon enough. While Shesterkin is saying right words about, how he is content about playing in the AHL, it's obvious he's come to NA to not to stay in Hartford. Hank is signed through 2021 year, Georgiev is RFA after this season, so it's either Hank will retire (unlikely), get traded (unlikely), or one of Shesterkin/Georgiev stay in the AHL, which won't make them happy. Considering, Shesterkin has the KHL clause, there is a good chance, he'll use it, if Rangers don't play him in the AHL.

SKA plays on the small ice this season, so Shesterkin won't damage his NA rink experience by coming back to Russian.
Yeah, they'll definitely have to solve it and it's going to involve a high risk decision no matter the outcome. I'm sure they've been thinking about this for a while now, Shesty coming over and being excellent in the AHL was fairly predictable.

IMO they can't keep Georgiev and Shesty both long term. They're the same age and it's safe to say both are capable of being NHL starters. Who they'll choose and why will be interesting and difficult.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Lundqvist is pretty decisively 3rd best goalie in the organization now but it's really up to him if he wants to do Rangers some kind of favor or he wants to join Staal and Seabrook camp.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
A few reasons.

Shestyorkin struggled at TC because he saw more odd man rushes & breakaways inna week than he did in 2 years for SKA. There were times where the team was buried in the zone and he stopped everything thrown at him, directed rebounds to safe spots by the other players couldn’t clear.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Well, Lundqvist is pretty decisively 3rd best goalie in the organization now but it's really up to him if he wants to do Rangers some kind of favor or he wants to join Staal and Seabrook camp.

I could see Georgiev getting a new contract, then dealt for a fortune to San Jose.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Shestyorkin struggled at TC because he saw more odd man rushes & breakaways inna week than he did in 2 years for SKA. There were times where the team was buried in the zone and he stopped everything thrown at him, directed rebounds to safe spots by the other players couldn’t clear.
If he was all that and a bag of chips he'd have still stopped the puck (am I doing this right?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad