G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You are missing the point.

The fact that there's an adjustment doesn't mean a player isn't ready to play in the NHL.

How am I missing the point? Is it me or are we saying exactly the same thing?

Conventional logic says goalies need time to adapt to different rink size. It doesn't mean he isn't NHL-ready, it means he won't play to his full abilities from the get-go. Not to mention goalies take longer to get in-game shape in general.

Me: he is NHL ready but it will take time to adjust.
You: even though it will take time to adjust he is NHL-ready.

Duh.

Him deserving or not deserving the right to adjust in the NHL is a whole other topic, not me missing the point. And that whole situation is mostly tied to the players that Rangers have on the contract than to anything Shestyorkin has ever done.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How am I missing the point?

Maybe you weren't then, but you responded to a specific point I was making that some have questioned about Shestyorkin and other KHL stars that come to the NHL. I think responding to that point gives off the impression that you disagreed with what I was saying about that or at least were trying to comment on it, but I guess I read your opinion wrong.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He probably won't make it, but it would be unbelievably poor management to have him not make it. Kakko's not going to start in the AHL because there's a log-jam of average forwards like Strome, Namestnikov and Fast. Why should Shestyorkin not make it because of a goalie whose past it and a similarly aged goalie whose going to be his back up?

But he's at least given himself a chance to make it. He's been the best of the three goalies so far in the preseason games. He had no chance if he had a bad preseason.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He still needs to adjust to NA. His SV% was inflated in the KHL and playing for SKA at .953. He's struggling at .952 in the AHL, so he might need a few years to adjust to the North American game. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, he's been great the first three games, and was great in preseason with the NHL team. When the Rangers make questionable decisions under this management, I can't say I'm surprised. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the work Gorton does, which includes Shestyorkin playing in the AHL right now.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Are Rangers intentionally tanking this year? Given their play so far, I see no other reason to keep the best goalie on the team in the AHL than to pile up on losses.

We might be. And it honestly might be the best for us long term to get another top pick before switching gears next season to actually try to make the playoffs and win.

He still needs to adjust to NA. His SV% was inflated in the KHL and playing for SKA at .953. He's struggling at .952 in the AHL, so he might need a few years to adjust to the North American game. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, he's been great the first three games, and was great in preseason with the NHL team. When the Rangers make questionable decisions under this management, I can't say I'm surprised. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the work Gorton does, which includes Shestyorkin playing in the AHL right now.

I expected him to be able to adapt but when looking at how similarly touted prospects like Samsonov struggle in the AHL in their first year, I did not expect for him to be able to do it this quickly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I expected him to be able to adapt but when looking at how similarly touted prospects like Samsonov struggle in the AHL in their first year, I did not expect for him to be able to do it this quickly.

Shestyorkin was proven at the KHL level, Samsonov wasn’t. Samsonov’s reputation was mostly based on his play in junior leagues and tournaments. He’s not much of a lesser prospect, if he is at all, but he simply wasn’t as good when he came to NA, whether that was a game in the AHL or the KHL.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Would it be the worst thing if Shesty plays well and gets Hartford into the playoffs this year helping to build a winning culture down there after what seems an eternity of losing? The Rangers don't look great right now and maybe having him up this early might not be the best thing???

Reactions: blindpass

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Are Rangers intentionally tanking this year? Given their play so far, I see no other reason to keep the best goalie on the team in the AHL than to pile up on losses.
That could be exactly the reason not to call him up. The team doesn't look good right now and why subject him to it? Hank had to stop 3 or 4 clear breakaways last night and a penalty shot.

Reactions: blindpass

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would it be the worst thing if Shesty plays well and gets Hartford into the playoffs this year helping to build a winning culture down there after what seems an eternity of losing? The Rangers don't look great right now and maybe having him up this early might not be the best thing???

It wastes a year of him adjusting to the NHL, where there will be a real adjustment. This "adjusting to NA" thing is bogus. It depends on the league. He'll need to adjust to the NHL because everyone does. It's the best league in the world, and the KHL isn't as good. I don't see what we gain right now. I think Lundqvist and Georgiyev haven't been bad so far this season, and they aren't the biggest problem with the team, but it would've made more sense to find a solution to the goalie problem this season. But in the literal sense, I agree, it's not the worst thing. It just doesn't help us out, and passes the buck down a year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It wastes a year of him adjusting to the NHL, where there will be a real adjustment. This "adjusting to NA" thing is bogus. It depends on the league. He'll need to adjust to the NHL because everyone does. It's the best league in the world, and the KHL isn't as good. I don't see what we gain right now. I think Lundqvist and Georgiyev haven't been bad so far this season, and they aren't the biggest problem with the team, but it would've made more sense to find a solution to the goalie problem this season. But in the literal sense, I agree, it's not the worst thing. It just doesn't help us out, and passes the buck down a year.
Why can't he make a smooth transition to the NHL when needed if he's playing great hockey at the AHL level? It's Not unprecedented.
Georgie and Lundqvist are definitely not the problem and in reality what do we do? Can we send Georgiev to the minors? Hank isn't going anywhere.
If Shesty keeps playing well I don't think he will be staying an entire season in Hartford and if he does I don't believe it's a wasted season especially if the team has success.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Why can't he make a smooth transition to the NHL when needed if he's playing great hockey at the AHL level? It's Not unprecedented.
Georgie and Lundqvist are definitely not the problem and in reality what do we do? Can we send Georgiev to the minors? Hank isn't going anywhere.
If Shesty keeps playing well I don't think he will be staying an entire season in Hartford and if he does I don't believe it's a wasted season especially if the team has success.

I think we still have a few more games that Georgiev can play until he becomes ineligible to be sent down without clearing waivers. So it's possible we see Georgiev sent down. Another possibility is for Georgiev to be traded sometime this season, he's heading into RFA.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I think we still have a few more games that Georgiev can play until he becomes ineligible to be sent down without clearing waivers. So it's possible we see Georgiev sent down. Another possibility is for Georgiev to be traded sometime this season, he's heading into RFA.

Georgiev will not be sent down. I'm not sure if Shesterkin will be better than him. My guess is the organization will ask Hank to accept a trade.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shestyorkin is already better than Georgiyev, not that Georgiyev isn’t a good goalkeeper.

Shestyorkin picked up another win yesterday. This time he only faced 19 shots, but also only gave up one goal. He’s won every game he’s played and has a .951 save percentage having given up 5 goals in 4 games. The other goalie, who has played pretty well to be fair, has given up 9 goals in 3 games.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Georgiev will not be sent down. I'm not sure if Shesterkin will be better than him. My guess is the organization will ask Hank to accept a trade.

Do you imagine there's interest in Lundqvist, even if the Rangers retain 50% of his cap? From what teams?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lundqvist will never agree to a trade. He loves NY too much and really why sully that legendary relationship with only a year and 3 quarters left? I think if anything one of the young goalies gets moved. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just hoping for some sort of goalie meltdown or injury from another team that forces a trade.

Shest playing good this early is certainly going to force things a little quicker than I think they hoped.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Lundqvist will never agree to a trade. He loves NY too much and really why sully that legendary relationship with only a year and 3 quarters left?

Is this 1.75 years of Lundqvist worth losing or stifling the development a potential franchise goalie? The Rangers have 2 outstanding young keepers. Tough situation and Shesty’s early AHL dominance isn’t making it any easier.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Is this 1.75 years of Lundqvist worth losing or stifling the development a potential franchise goalie? The Rangers have 2 outstanding young keepers. Tough situation and Shesty’s early AHL dominance isn’t making it any easier.
Plus Shesterkin is actually older than Georgiev and has a ton of development time in a men's league. By time time Lundqvist retires, Igor will be 25, turning 26 in the 1st half of the 2021-22 year. And he'll need a new contract before then. Will he be pissed the Rangers wasted two years of his career and just go back home?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Plus Shesterkin is actually older than Georgiev and has a ton of development time in a men's league. By time time Lundqvist retires, Igor will be 25, turning 26 in the 1st half of the 2021-22 year. And he'll need a new contract before then. Will he be pissed the Rangers wasted two years of his career and just go back home?

He can go home right now, he has the KHL clause in his contract.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad