G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He actually played on Wednesday, as well, for the final two periods because the other goalie was hooked after a period in the back to back. Never a good thing when in a back to back your goalies are replacing each other early on in both games. And he wasn’t really that bad in those games. The team were zombies in front of the goalies. The two worst efforts I’ve seen from Hartford all year.

As to yesterday, he was great. Stopped all 31, but a lot of them were high quality chances. Hartford was outplayed once again. They aren’t that good. They’ve lost 7 of 12 that the other goalie has started and he’s not bad. Shestyorkin has been carrying this team all season. He also had a great stretch pass for an assist. He’s a really good puck handler. He’s going to have about five assists per season in the NHL. Already has 2 this season and it could be more.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers' goalies didn't look that great in the last few games.

I’ve been saying all season that Shestyorkin is the Rangers best goalie. He was the most impressive of the three in preseason when they were all competing.

I’m not sure why a spot was cleared out in the top 9 for Kakko, but a goalie spot wasn’t cleared out for Shestyorkin. Shestyorkin, not Kakko, was the prospect that needed a roster spot because he had nothing to learn anymore playing in other leagues.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It really isn't that hard. You keep Lundqvist and Shest and move Gor at the deadline or draftm

Why do they need a 37-year old goalie? Lundqvist hasn't been anything special for years and should probably retire with his millions.

Reactions: tricky

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Why do they need a 37-year old goalie? Lundqvist hasn't been anything special for years and should probably retire with his millions.
So he's just going to walk away from $8.5m for the good of the team? Could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reactions: haveandare

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So he's just going to walk away from $8.5m for the good of the team? Could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Rags should either trade Lundqvist (may not be possible) or give him the Wade Redden treatment.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hartford has now lost 8 of the 13 games he hasn’t started, and that’s not because the other goalie is bad. The team is not good, and Shestyorkin is dragging them to a playoff spot.

I don’t know why they don’t use him in back to backs. I think they will probably make the playoffs, but if Shestyorkin gets called up to the NHL for a month or two, they’ll completely collapse. They should take advantage of having him while they can because they might need the cushion at the end of the season. He’s only played 20 games. He can play some back to backs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He leads the AHL in GSAA. The competition isn't the same, but his number would be the best in the NHL, as well. From what I've read from AHL watchers, he's the frontrunner for AHL goalie of the year. Georgiyev and Lundqvist are about league average goalies statistically, although the Rangers defense is terrible, so it makes them look a little worse. I still think the team is sacrificing results with Shestyorkin playing in the AHL.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Have this boy stashed in my fantasy pool just waiting for the call up. Make it happen Gorton!! Letting georgiev get blown out again is just going to hurt his value

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Have this boy stashed in my fantasy pool just waiting for the call up. Make it happen Gorton!! Letting georgiev get blown out again is just going to hurt his value
Me too. We Keep 13/19. I desperately needed a goalie for the future and this guy is it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Guy is killing it in the AHL. 3 of those wins came against the, which was at the time top team in the Atlantic, Bruins.

Making a nice case for him to win the Top goalie of the year in the AHL.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why do all the reporters for other AHL teams realize this but the Rangers don't seem to realize it? How more goals do Lundqvist and Georgiyev have to give up before Shestyorkin gets called up? Those two have combined to give given up 23 goals in the last five games. Part of it is the defense, but Shestyorkin would keep the score down, in my opinion. Lundqvist and Georgiyev can't. And at what point does Shestyorkin file a grievance with the NHLPA? This is what Kris Bryant did in baseball when everyone knew he was the best player at his position in the organization and was kept off the Cubs roster for contract reasons. He could also ask for a trade. I wouldn't blame the guy. He's wasting his prime years.

As to this game specifically, I thought it was one of his best games all season. I guess Hartford actually had two more shots, but they were outplayed significantly. Shestyorkin kept them in it with a number of great saves, and they got a deflection in front to win it with 30 seconds left. This game was exactly what I mean when I say Shestyorkin can keep the score down in a way that other goalies in the Rangers organization don't. When the Rangers defense plays that way in front of Lundqvist or Georgiyev, it's likely that they give up 5.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Why do all the reporters for other AHL teams realize this but the Rangers don't seem to realize it? How more goals do Lundqvist and Georgiyev have to give up before Shestyorkin gets called up? Those two have combined to give given up 23 goals in the last five games. Part of it is the defense, but Shestyorkin would keep the score down, in my opinion. Lundqvist and Georgiyev can't. And at what point does Shestyorkin file a grievance with the NHLPA? This is what Kris Bryant did in baseball when everyone knew he was the best player at his position in the organization and was kept off the Cubs roster for contract reasons. He could also ask for a trade. I wouldn't blame the guy. He's wasting his prime years.

As to this game specifically, I thought it was one of his best games all season. I guess Hartford actually had two more shots, but they were outplayed significantly. Shestyorkin kept them in it with a number of great saves, and they got a deflection in front to win it with 30 seconds left. This game was exactly what I mean when I say Shestyorkin can keep the score down in a way that other goalies in the Rangers organization don't. When the Rangers defense plays that way in front of Lundqvist or Georgiyev, it's likely that they give up 5.

Igor is fine where he is. The NHL is a lot better then the AHL. This team is close to reaching the point where they trade pieces like Kreider.

I rather Igor finishes the year strong. Has a chip on his shoulder next year and he makes the team out of training camp.

Gorts makes better trades in the offseason anyway. Maybe Gorts trades Georgiev during the draft or in the summer when more teams will be interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad