G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
16 of 17 saves in a 2-1 OT win.

This was his best performance so far of the five playoff games he’s played, although he was doing pretty good in the game he was ejected.

SKA needed a victory today and got it. Shestyorkin has faced very few stat padding shots so far in these playoffs. His stats don’t paint an accurate picture of how he’s played. He hasn’t been at his best when he’s played, but SKA defense has been comical.

The goal he gave up was a big defensive error by one of the defensemen. Nothing he could’ve done there. He had a number of difficult saves, including one with his paddle.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another very good performance today in a 3-1 win. The series is now tied 2-2. Shestyorkin saved 19 of 20 shots.

The goal he gave up was hard to stop. A CSKA defenseman walked into a one-timer in the slot. Traffic in front of the net. The shot was hard and well placed, so there was little he could've done. It would've been hard to stop without traffic, but the traffic made it more difficult. He also had another open net save of a sure goal in the final minutes of the game. CSKA brought pressure late on, and Shestyorkin stood up to it.

Reactions: bl02 and Kupo

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
SKA-CSKA is now tied 3-3 after SKA wins game six 3-2 in St Petersburg. The home team has won every game of the series. Shestyorkin made 25 of 27 saves today. I still think CSKA is going to win this series. They've beat SKA the last seven times they've played in Moscow.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wonder what the plan is for him next season.. Obviously Lundqvist is still under contract and Georgiev played quite a bit this season and did pretty well... I kinda assume Shesty will most likely start in Hartford? And then see how he/Georgiev do on a day by day basis pretty much? Cause Georgiev is still under contract too

Very curious to see how it all plays out

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wonder what the plan is for him next season.. Obviously Lundqvist is still under contract and Georgiev played quite a bit this season and did pretty well... I kinda assume Shesty will most likely start in Hartford? And then see how he/Georgiev do on a day by day basis pretty much? Cause Georgiev is still under contract too

Very curious to see how it all plays out

He has a KHL clause. It’s up to him.

If he wants, he can force their hand and then Georgiyev will start in the AHL or be traded before the season.

If he wants to let the GM off the hook and take a pay cut, he can choose to play half a season in the AHL and then Georgiyev will be traded around the trade deadline.

It would be easiest if Lundqvist decides to waive his NMC, but that’s not going to happen and Shestyorkin isn’t signing to be the starter in the AHL team. I can’t see how the solution isn’t some sort of Georgiyev trade at some point. They could’ve decided not to sign Shestyorkin, if they wanted a different solution.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

If he wants, he can force their hand and then Georgiyev will start in the AHL or be traded before the season.

If he wants to let the GM off the hook and take a pay cut, he can choose to play half a season in the AHL and then Georgiyev will be traded around the trade deadline.

It would be easiest if Lundqvist decides to waive his NMC, but that’s not going to happen and Shestyorkin isn’t signing to be the starter in the AHL team. I can’t see how the solution isn’t some sort of Georgiyev trade at some point. They could’ve decided not to sign Shestyorkin, if they wanted a different solution.

Ya good call. Georgiev played well this season and if NYR wanted to shop him, there would be alot of takers for sure IMO

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers are listing him at 6'2 192, which is at least an inch taller and 5-10 pounds heavier than he's listed elsewhere. If the listing is correct, he's not as undersized for a goalie as the reputation he gets.

But some of the heights and weights look inflated and some look under-inflated. It looks like a very-flimsy listing of heights and weights, so I wouldn't be sure its correct.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

It's only 2 years. They aren't trading Georgiyev. If they do, it won't be because of this.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not a big Gorton fan, but I don’t think he’s that dumb. Something will give at some point with one of goalies.

Gorton is trying to build a contender. He’ll give maybe the highest upside player in his organization every chance to prove himself. Shestyorkin’s not waiting around two years in the AHL. If he’s not given a role in year 1, I suspect he won’t be here in year 2. But I don’t think this will be a problem. We are rebuilding. The best prospects will be integrated when they are ready.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I’m not a big Gorton fan, but I don’t think he’s that dumb. Something will give at some point with one of goalies.

Gorton is trying to build a contender. He’ll give maybe the highest upside player in his organization every chance to prove himself. Shestyorkin’s not waiting around two years in the AHL. If he’s not given a role in year 1, I suspect he won’t be here in year 2. But I don’t think this will be a problem. We are rebuilding. The best prospects will be integrated when they are ready.

Biggest upside player. Did Kakko retire?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very impressive preseason debut. He stopped 12 of 13 shots, including some very difficult saves. The goal allowed wasn’t his fault. He made a good save on the initial chance. Georgiyev only stopped 8 of 11 and was mediocre. Shestyorkin was definitely the better of the two today.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Very impressive preseason debut. He stopped 12 of 13 shots, including some very difficult saves. The goal allowed wasn’t his fault. He made a good save on the initial chance. Georgiyev only stopped 8 of 11 and was mediocre. Shestyorkin was definitely the better of the two today.

Shesterkin played great today, I liked what I saw, especially on the PK, but I disagree that Georgiev played bad. I don't know what you were watching. He played really well as well. He had no chance on any of those goals.

1st goal, NJ was skating around like it was a PP (it wasn't), and a beautiful deflection pops in.

2nd goal, a contested breakaway on a beautiful play

3rd goal, a beautiful 2 on 1 chance where Baddock made Skjei look like an AHL dman.

He also made a number of good saves and stood his ground a number of times. Whoever gets the backup role is going to be in trouble if this is how the team plays defense in front of them.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Shesterkin played great today, I liked what I saw, especially on the PK, but I disagree that Georgiev played bad. I don't know what you were watching. He played really well as well. He had no chance on any of those goals.

1st goal, NJ was skating around like it was a PP (it wasn't), and a beautiful deflection pops in.

3rd goal, a beautiful 2 on 1 chance where Baddock made Skjei look like an AHL dman.

He also made a number of good saves and stood his ground a number of times. Whoever gets the backup role is going to be in trouble if this is how the team plays defense in front of them.

I agree, Georgiev didn't get a lot of help. Anybody saying he played bad are just looking at the numbers and using that Georgiev didn't manage to make a big save on 3 goals against him. He just didn't come up big. The first goal takes place after NJD gain zone possession off what looked like a fanned-shot from the point. Sick deflection on that goal.

Maybe Georgiev slid too far and took himself out of position to make a save on the 2nd goal, but lets place the fault on the D-man who made the brain-dead play. It was also a nice move to score.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Georgiyev made one good save. I don't know where you are getting this idea that he had a lot of tough saves to make. And he was absolutely undressed on Maltsev's goal. It was a nice play by the attacker, but no goalie should be beat so badly. I also think he could've done better to recognize the play on the third, and maybe cut out the breakaway chance with a poke check from the pass to the front of the net.

I didn't say he played bad. I said mediocre. A guy who played well in the NHL last season and has serious competition on his hands should expect to play a little better. It's not as if he couldn't stop any of the three goals. They weren't per se horrible goals to give up, but it was a below-average performance for an NHL'er, and his competition was decidedly above-average. I think it's probably not worth such a lengthy micro-analysis, but you wanted to discuss the micro of it.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
this guy is a Gem, he stopped 2-3 cant get any high or closer scoring chances as soon as he took net. huge plus for the rangers as an asset

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He kept the score down yesterday against the Flyers. The scoresheet might not look great with 4 GA, but the first two he couldn’t have done anything about and none were bad goals. He faced 40 shots and the Rangers got outshot 40-19. The team in front of him could’ve given up 10, if he wasn’t on his game. The odd man rushes were like crazy yesterday. The team in front of him were zombies against a close to full strength Flyers lineup.

We’ll see how the rest of preseason goes, but I never understood this idea that he wasn’t NHL ready. How does one put up a .953 SV% in the next best league and isn’t ready to play in the NHL?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He kept the score down yesterday against the Flyers. The scoresheet might not look great with 4 GA, but the first two he couldn’t have done anything about and none were bad goals. He faced 40 shots and the Rangers got outshot 40-19. The team in front of him could’ve given up 10, if he wasn’t on his game. The odd man rushes were like crazy yesterday. The team in front of him were zombies against a close to full strength Flyers lineup.

We’ll see how the rest of preseason goes, but I never understood this idea that he wasn’t NHL ready. How does one put up a .953 SV% in the next best league and isn’t ready to play in the NHL?

Well, he isn't used to 40 shots on goal against, in the KHL it just couldn't happen.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Conventional logic says goalies need time to adapt to different rink size. It doesn't mean he isn't NHL-ready, it means he won't play to his full abilities from the get-go. Not to mention goalies take longer to get in-game shape in general.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Conventional logic says goalies need time to adapt to different rink size. It doesn't mean he isn't NHL-ready, it means he won't play to his full abilities from the get-go. Not to mention goalies take longer to get in-game shape in general.

You are missing the point.

I didn't say there's not an adjustment. There is an adjustment, and I think the bigger adjustment is the pace of the game instead of the rink size. You always hear about adjusting angles and all that, but I think KHL players have a bigger adjustment to a game that is more physical, more frantic from goal line to goal line, and sees plays develop a lot quicker.

The fact that there's an adjustment doesn't mean a player isn't ready to play in the NHL. Every player who hasn't played in the NHL that enters the league has an adjustment, but there are certain levels of players that are traditionally given that chance to adjust in the NHL instead of having to go through minor leagues or junior leagues. A player who was great in the next best professional league has earned the right to adjust in the NHL, in my opinion. I have consistently said this, and it irks me when I hear this nonsense that the best KHL players need to start out in the AHL. I don't care if thats a great prospect or a 30 year old journeyman. Production is always going to be the most translatable attribute in the sport. If you produce in the second best league in the world, the logical step up is being given a chance in the best league in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad