Future Captain?

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I can see Rielly, if he continues to develop, in a few years. If we are talking about next year, with the idea that Phaneuf is gone, none of the above. If Phaneuf is gone next year, and that is a big if, we either go with no "C" or give it to some vet.

Stamkos in two years;)

Shwaguy*

DYLAN STROME(C)
MORGAN RIELLY (A)
LEO KOMAROV (A)

Who wouldn't want a 6"3 230 pound centre as their Captain?

lol he's 6'3 185 right now, even if he fills out I'm fairly certain he doesn't reach 230 (JvR is 6'3 and 200 for example)

Speaking as someone who is 6'3, 230 would be a LOT of weight.

Rufio65*

Crystal ball? How do you know he probably wont?
Remember you said Rielly isnt doing well? I dont believe in your opinion well

No crystal ball. It's obvious, Finn does not have the tools to play in the NHL. He's proving that in the AHL.

Rielly is obviously playing much better, but there's not a ton of structure in his game. I stand by my belief that his ceiling is a good #3 guy on a contender.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Finn is hurt so of course he would be scratched
Seriously can we actually pay attention and see what is the actual facts

My bad. The guy is having a tough time with injuries so far in his young career. He just got back from one a few weeks ago, didn't know he was hurt again...

Pretty much a year of development missed, but he's still young, has shown glimpses of being capable of playing in a pro league, and dman usually take longer to make the show.

Can't see him ever being captain though.. maybe an A wayyy down the line.

mikebel111*

No crystal ball. It's obvious, Finn does not have the tools to play in the NHL. He's proving that in the AHL.

Rielly is obviously playing much better, but there's not a ton of structure in his game. I stand by my belief that his ceiling is a good #3 guy on a contender.

What is obvious is that you have a bias againsr all leaf prospects aside from maybe a couple. And propping up potential busts (Nick Ritchie anyone)
Maybe watch Finn play. Since getting back from ECHL, he was playing great and one of the Marlies best d man, but I know why should we post facts. Finn has a ton of tools which I think will take some time to develop. Development is key!

mikebel111*

My bad. The guy is having a tough time with injuries so far in his young career. He just got back from one a few weeks ago, didn't know he was hurt again...

Pretty much a year of development missed, but he's still young, has shown glimpses of being capable of playing in a pro league, and dman usually take longer to make the show.

Can't see him ever being captain though.. maybe an A wayyy down the line.

Good post. I agree with this though I dont think its 1 year missed
No news though when he is out until

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As much as I want Rielly to be our Captain, I want Komarov to be the interim Captain till Rielly is a tad older!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for Morgan Rielly.

However even if Phaneuf is traded it doesn't mean that Rielly will automatically be named the next captain. It could go to someone else or maybe they will not name one for a while.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I'm going to wait just in case we end up winning the lottery or get Eichel in some incredible trade up scenario. We never know until it actually happens, but as long as we have a chance, I'll still have that glimmer of hope.

But yeah, otherwise Rielly is a shoo-in, or Kadri if he keeps developing. Really rounded out his game this year, next year is his opportunity to take the next step offensively on a rebuilding squad.

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I like Mo and Kadri for Captain, however Mo has a bit more pedigree to him being a Captain for Red Deer while in Junior, either one of these guys would be great as a captain, both are going to be with this organization for a long time, both are very well spoken and not afraid to speak there mind with the media, Kadri has been a little better not slipping up with the whole "being a girl about it" crap that happened, and both are extremely talented.

These two guys, I can see Kessel sticking around a bit longer, and Komarov and Bernier, are likely the leadership core going forward. I know Kessel has been reported as no longer in management plans however idt you just get up and trade a guy like Kessel and idt this team is that far away still. If they get McDavid, Strome, or Eichel another young RHS for the top 4 and another solid defender they could be competing in 2-3 years. Nylander could make Kessel expendable but I don't want to see him rushed.

Teams future is starting to look good. Depending on how the Draft goes, hoping for McDavid or Strome, don't know how I feel about Eichel, looked pretty weak at the WJHC, Provorov and Carlo look too be decent mid to late 1st options, wouldnt mind trading up using a mid level prospect to get one of these guys. GODla if he is still kicking around in round 3 or if we can get a 2nd may be a good option. He looked amazing in the WJHC and was the only reason Czech got bronze. other than that keep getting talented guys with speed.

I'm assuming your talking about Rielly when you say Mo, he played for Moose Jaw not Red Deer and Kendall McFaull was there captain while Morgan was there. maybe your thinking of Dumba? not sure if he was a captain at Red Deer.

grenade

Jan 6, 2009
mountains
If Dion gets moved I hope they go with 3 A's and no C for awhile.

I really hope they dont bring a guy in, I want the leafs captain to be a leafs player. Someone drafted by them and makes it clear they deserve the C. They may have some potential candidates but I see no rush.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No one for 4-5 years. Morgan Rielly after that if everything pans out the way I think it will *fingers crossed*

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
PLEASE go with the Assistant idea. This is the Leafs, we don't HAVE to have a Captain for fun. The player should be deserving of it.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I'm going to wait just in case we end up winning the lottery or get Eichel in some incredible trade up scenario. We never know until it actually happens, but as long as we have a chance, I'll still have that glimmer of hope.

But yeah, otherwise Rielly is a shoo-in, or Kadri if he keeps developing. Really rounded out his game this year, next year is his opportunity to take the next step offensively on a rebuilding squad.

You know what, before I was resigned to think we'd get the 5th pick at best, but after yesterday I seriously believe anything is possible.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I would be surprised if Dylane Strome will weigh 230lbs ever in his career. You never really know, but i just don't see it in his frame.

He's very much a JVR 6'3.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Connor McDavid.

For some reason, I feel that this will be the year that we win the lottery.

In the likely event we don't draft McDavid, I would prefer we leave the captaincy vacant for a while until someone really steps up. At the moment, no one on our roster deserves it and it takes a special kind of player to be a leader in this market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad