Future Captain?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Our next captain should of the Crosby, Toews, Tavares, ilk. Anything else is unaceptable.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Our next captain should of the Crosby, Toews, Tavares, ilk. Anything else is unaceptable.

Not a fan of the Andrew Ladd/David Backes/Dustin Brown kind of captain? I'd say as long as the guy is who the young players want to be and the older players respect, then it doesn't matter if he's Sidney Crosby (Connor McDavid) or not

buttman*

This team doesn't have a captain on it's roster. Hopefully it drafts one this year.

officialmark*

Just because Rielly is the best young player doesn't mean he should be the captain. It's really hard for an outside person to say, but I don't think we have our next captain yet.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Not a fan of the Andrew Ladd/David Backes/Dustin Brown kind of captain? I'd say as long as the guy is who the young players want to be and the older players respect, then it doesn't matter if he's Sidney Crosby (Connor McDavid) or not

Dustin Brown would get eaten alive as captain in Toronto.

$6 million and 15 goals. Oh yeah that would go over real well with this fanbase.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Morgan Rielly would be my choice for the next captain, just not next season. Go with no captain next season but have Rielly wear one of the As. Then when he's ready, have him take over as captain. He'd be 22 by the 2016-17 season, not unheard to have captains that young.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rielly might make a good one. I'd give Komarov an "A" for sure, and, maybe, Kadri, too.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Team Leo Komarov, because for some reason the OP forgot to include NONE as an option so I went with the next best Blue and White Disease overrated player on that roster.

There is no leader / captain on that team. Hasn't been one since Sundin left. They have good role models, like Lupul and Polak, but they aren't captain material. Not in this market.

So don't name a captain until one appears ready to be named. First and foremost, make it a guy who can both: a) talk smartly to the media, and b) has respect around the league.

It gets really tiring hearing Phaneuf's generic cliché answers as a fan who wants answers. It also gets frustrating seeing Dion get pushed and punked by opposition players, and not be stuck up for by his own players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No, none of the above option?
I guess it could be Morgan Rielly but I don't see it, especially if Phaneuf goes soon.

Maybe Rielly in the future years from now, but at present there isn't anyone on the current roster that would be considered captain material including the current one.

In fact if scorched earth plays out there won't be many of these currently players even here in a couple years.

So Leafs future captain is likely outside the organization currently. Leafs should trade for Ryan O'Reilly and he would make a good future leader and captain of the Leafs for example.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
If the Leafs feel that they need a captain why not slap it on Robidas? One of the few experienced players currently on our roster and he will not be with us more than 2 years. Hopefully once Robidas leaves a player on our roster will have shown himself to be the kind of leader that the Leafs need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad