Future Captain?

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Assuming Phaneuf finally gets moved, who do you think would make a good captain?
Things I look for in a good captain:

- A role model on and off the ice with excellent work ethic
- Approachable by the media (charisma optional)
- Preferably a former captain in the minor leagues
- One of our core players
- Considerable leadership abilities

Scenario would assume that Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf (obviously), JVR get moved.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
My money's on someone they bring in in the future. Either the player they draft in the 1st this year or next, or a player acquired in one of the big trades. (Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel)

Dallas Eakins*

They will draft him this year or next or they'd better. If they want a stop gap captain Polak.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
If Phaneuf is moved they should go without a captain next year. Don't just name someone captain for the sake of it, have somebody grow into that role. Morgan seems like a good bet to someday be that guy, but not right now.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Interesting.. why not any of the above? Percy's a former captain (Steelheads) who looks promising so far. Rielly is displaying flashes of becoming a franchise dman. Komarov appears to be a leader on and off the ice and plays with his heart on his sleeve.

leafstilldeath*

Rielly AINEC.

But do not give anyone the captaincy fir the next 2 yera atleast once Dion is traded

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No one for now. Rielly appears to be a favorite for the role eventually though.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I'd give 3 A next year to Komorov, Robidas and Polak (assuming he's still on the team). Go with 3 vets who are respectable leaders. Don't really care what about say about Robidas' skill atm, the man has respect in that dressing room.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Would be fine with Rielly, Percy or C. Brown in 2 years from now. No one deserves it right now.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Probably none of the above.

Leo Komarov would be an option, but due to his lack of "eliteness" the media will pick him apart and expect him to be the best player which he'll never be. He's a great guy, has military background, well-travelled, smart, speaks 5 languages so he can communicate with all the guys in the room and everyone loves him (except opposing teams), but, like I said, the media would expect him to be something he's not and fans would eventually follow the lead. So he's a no-go.

Nylander, let's assume he reaches his "realistic" potential and becomes a 30 goal, 40 assist, playmaking centre on the top line. He's possibly got it if he makes that happen, but I have no clue what kind of leadership this guy actually brings to the table. So currently I wouldn't suggest him as the next C because he's NOT a 70pt player and we have no clue whether this guy could lead water out of a bucket if the instructions were under the bottom.

Rielly, possibly, but again, what is this kid's ability to actually lead? On the ice, sure, in a couple of years, but off it? I haven't heard any rumblings about him being a good locker room guy, someone that speaks up. It's a tough sell. He's probably the best option in terms of being a leader ON the ice, at least from a media POV.

Kadri, from what I've seen, probably not. He's good, but takes the odd shift off, and doesn't seem to have a commanding presence in front of the camera. I don't think he would do well with the captaincy.

Gardiner, Gauthier, Percy, Finn are definite no-gos. Until these guys make the NHL (or in the case of Gardiner, establish consistent play in the NHL) they're not in the conversation.

IMO, it's going to be someone outside the organization that is brought in, who has prior C experience which worked well with the other organization.

I'm going to say, maybe, just maybe, if Olli Jokinen isn't dealt at the deadline and the Leafs deal Phaneuf in the off-season and they then convince Olli to sign another 1-2 year deal, they might make him C as a sort of "interim" captain, while they look for the "next guy".

Guys I would like:
Mike Richards
Keith Yandle (wears 'A' in ARI/PHX)
Ryan Callahan
Michael Cammalleri (wore 'A' for MTL/CGY)
Patrick Sharp (wears 'A' for CHI)
Antoine Vermette (wore 'A' for OTT/PHX/ARI) <- signed as UFA in the off-season

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Probably none of the above.

Leo Komarov would be an option, but due to his lack of "eliteness" the media will pick him apart and expect him to be the best player which he'll never be. He's a great guy, has military background, well-travelled, smart, speaks 5 languages so he can communicate with all the guys in the room and everyone loves him (except opposing teams), but, like I said, the media would expect him to be something he's not and fans would eventually follow the lead. So he's a no-go.

Nylander, let's assume he reaches his "realistic" potential and becomes a 30 goal, 40 assist, playmaking centre on the top line. He's possibly got it if he makes that happen, but I have no clue what kind of leadership this guy actually brings to the table. So currently I wouldn't suggest him as the next C because he's NOT a 70pt player and we have no clue whether this guy could lead water out of a bucket if the instructions were under the bottom.

Rielly, possibly, but again, what is this kid's ability to actually lead? On the ice, sure, in a couple of years, but off it? I haven't heard any rumblings about him being a good locker room guy, someone that speaks up. It's a tough sell. He's probably the best option in terms of being a leader ON the ice, at least from a media POV.

Kadri, from what I've seen, probably not. He's good, but takes the odd shift off, and doesn't seem to have a commanding presence in front of the camera. I don't think he would do well with the captaincy.

Gardiner, Gauthier, Percy, Finn are definite no-gos. Until these guys make the NHL (or in the case of Gardiner, establish consistent play in the NHL) they're not in the conversation.

IMO, it's going to be someone outside the organization that is brought in, who has prior C experience which worked well with the other organization.

I'm going to say, maybe, just maybe, if Olli Jokinen isn't dealt at the deadline and the Leafs deal Phaneuf in the off-season and they then convince Olli to sign another 1-2 year deal, they might make him C as a sort of "interim" captain, while they look for the "next guy".

Guys I would like:
Mike Richards
Keith Yandle (wears 'A' in ARI/PHX)
Ryan Callahan
Michael Cammalleri (wore 'A' for MTL/CGY)
Patrick Sharp (wears 'A' for CHI)
Antoine Vermette (wore 'A' for OTT/PHX/ARI) <- signed as UFA in the off-season

Dylan Strome should be our next captain.

silentbob37*

Who cares, its all symbolic.

Give it to the player it means to the most too, like a few years ago when the Senators gave it to Spezza instead of Phillips - general concensus was Phillips was the leader but Spezza would have had some boo-boo face if he wasn't given the C.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Or Chypchurun should be our captain. Guy is going to be an elite defender for years to Come.

Hopefully were in on the lottery next year as there are some stud defensemen in the draft.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
RYAN STROME(C)
MORGAN RIELLY (A)
LEO KOMAROV (A)

Who wouldn't want a 6"3 230 pound centre as their Captain?

Sorry, forgot to include Ryan Strome and his brother Dylan from the poll. Totally slipped my mind. :yo:

Man, that'd be an epic lineup.

Edit: Oh you corrected it.. lol. I thought you assumed we'd pick up R. Strome from a Kessel trade or something.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Sorry, forgot to include Ryan Strome and his brother Dylan from the poll. Totally slipped my mind. :yo:

Man, that'd be an epic lineup.

Edit: Oh you corrected it.. lol. I thought you assumed we'd pick up R. Strome from a Kessel trade or something.

I meant to say Dylan not Ryan.

We are very likely to get the 4th pick this hear
Dylan Strome will and should be our captain.

One can hope. It gives me optimism watching him play and how good and big he his.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
DYLAN STROME(C)
MORGAN RIELLY (A)
LEO KOMAROV (A)

Who wouldn't want a 6"3 230 pound centre as their Captain?
Hahahaha. Dylan Strome 230 pounds :laugh:

Have you ever seen the kid? Ill be happy if he breaks 200

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad