Future Captain?

CalgaryLeaf*

I wonder if JVR has the potential to lead a team?...So far he's been a quiet follower...Maybe the "C" would force him to LEAD.

Yeah yeah you can't force a guy to lead if it isn't in his nature...blah blah blah.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
The only way it isn't Morgan Rielly is if it is this years draft pick. I predict us to not have a captain for a year or two assuming Dion is gone by the start of next year, I am okay with that too.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
brown hands down. rielly also be a good fit. next season pending whos here and whos gone give A's to rielly, komarov, and.... panik ?

would say robidas since hes a vet and i think he will be here, but an A should matter and be reflected in your play, no entitlement.. so the third a should go to whoever shows they care in preseason.. suppose all three should, though its more a given what rielly and komo bring to the table.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I see people voting for a 3rd line players as well as a D man who may never make the NHL team or at best is a long way off and would struggling skating at the level needed to be effective. ..
Our next captain is not currently a member of our team.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I honestly don't see any of those guys being fantastic options. Obviously Rielly is the most valuable player in our organization at the moment and, out of that list, will likely end up being the best NHLer, but that doesn't mean he should be the captain. If this team is going to go through a rebuild and be awful for the next 3-4+ years, I don't want our captain to be one of our young, promising players...I think that's way to much negative pressure to put on them (i.e. what Phaneuf has been going through since getting the 'C').

If I had to choose from that list, I'd choose Komarov. He's an older player who can lead by example, yet no one expects him to carry this team offensively or defensively. He's well liked by both the players and the fans, would be a good role model for the younger players, and could help deflect some of the pressure away from guys like Rielly, Brown, Nylander, etc.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if JVR has the potential to lead a team?...So far he's been a quiet follower...Maybe the "C" would force him to LEAD.

Yeah yeah you can't force a guy to lead if it isn't in his nature...blah blah blah.

The floater JvR sucks. Playoffs JvR is great but sadly like the Leafs in the playoffs, he is rarely ever seen.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Voted Rielly cause he is the most likely out of the group.

However in my opinion, I don't think our future captain is on the team yet.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I seen a piece about Connor Brown awhile back and his demeanor just screams leader, everything about him is saying he will be Captain here when the time comes. So my vote goes Connor Brown.....but seeing he isn't an option my vote automatically goes to Corporal Komarov

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Probably have never heard their name before; I don't see the Leafs rush to assign a captain in the middle of a rebuild.

Just roll with three A's

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I like seeing Gauthier getting votes, at times he seems very unappreciated by our fans. He could end up being our shut down centre for the next 10-15 years! Hard to find large bodied, elite level defensive centres who dominate the dot

Durkin67

Assuming Phaneuf finally gets moved, who do you think would make a good captain?
Things I look for in a good captain:

- A role model on and off the ice with excellent work ethic
- Approachable by the media (charisma optional)
- Preferably a former captain in the minor leagues
- One of our core players
- Considerable leadership abilities

Scenario would assume that Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf (obviously), JVR get moved.

None of the above. I think you roll with alternates until ROR emerges as captain...he's the guy I would centre my rebuild around, but I wouldn't force feed him the C like they did Dion.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I say give it to Komarov for a few seasons until whomever we draft is ready to have the C on them.

I don't like any of the other options.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think Nylander will have it some day, Rielly and Kadri may have it yet but some years away from that. This years draft may have it in them eventually. We don't have a captain type unless you count oft injured Lupul.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Who cares, its all symbolic.

Give it to the player it means to the most too, like a few years ago when the Senators gave it to Spezza instead of Phillips - general concensus was Phillips was the leader but Spezza would have had some boo-boo face if he wasn't given the C.

Hey, bob, we agree on something!

It's a symbolic thing that actually doesn't have much to do with leadership in itself. Players will be leaders with or without the C. It's more about representation, the captain will represent and stand for the club more than his fellow players.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Percy, Finn and Carrick were all captains of their OHL team. All three are along way from NHL regulars (Percy being the closest) but I could see them all wearing letters at some point in their careers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No Captain for a little while. Only assistants. Let the rebuild take us in that direction.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
We will draft our future captain this year with either McDavid or Strome. I would be thrilled with either of these guys obviously Mcdavid but Strome is the guy I really want outside of CMD

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00