Future Captain?

Leafski

Jun 29, 2011
I honestly believe that if he can become a solid NHLer that Connor Brown could potentially be captain in the future. He's been in that capacity in the past, and he exemplifies maturity (from what we've been privvy to). He's known as a workhorse, and has been called as such by fellow players, coaches, and management at every level he's played at.

What traits are present in someone considered an ideal captain:
- One of your best players skill wise (ideally the best)
- Hard working on and off the ice
- Maturity
- Being able to, and knowing how to (given the plethora of personalities in the locker room) encourage and motivate others to play at levels they didn't know they could.
- Getting to know everyone on your team on a deeper level than just on the ice, and not just sticking to a select few while alienating others.
- not necessary (and dependent on team play-style) but if the player molded themselves as a 2-way player, whether they are a defense or offense.

Rielly is by far my favorite player we have, and I see why alot of you think he should be captain.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The one with leadership abilities. Have no idea who that may be, hopefully the players will decide for themselves.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I like Mo and Kadri for Captain, however Mo has a bit more pedigree to him being a Captain for Red Deer while in Junior, either one of these guys would be great as a captain, both are going to be with this organization for a long time, both are very well spoken and not afraid to speak there mind with the media, Kadri has been a little better not slipping up with the whole "being a girl about it" crap that happened, and both are extremely talented.

These two guys, I can see Kessel sticking around a bit longer, and Komarov and Bernier, are likely the leadership core going forward. I know Kessel has been reported as no longer in management plans however idt you just get up and trade a guy like Kessel and idt this team is that far away still. If they get McDavid, Strome, or Eichel another young RHS for the top 4 and another solid defender they could be competing in 2-3 years. Nylander could make Kessel expendable but I don't want to see him rushed.

Teams future is starting to look good. Depending on how the Draft goes, hoping for McDavid or Strome, don't know how I feel about Eichel, looked pretty weak at the WJHC, Provorov and Carlo look too be decent mid to late 1st options, wouldnt mind trading up using a mid level prospect to get one of these guys. GODla if he is still kicking around in round 3 or if we can get a 2nd may be a good option. He looked amazing in the WJHC and was the only reason Czech got bronze. other than that keep getting talented guys with speed.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Mike Richards.

Then probably D.Strome, or in the organisation I'd say Rielly, Percy, Brown would be the closest.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I don't really see Rielly as being the captain type. Def see it in Percy. Hopefully we get Konency in the late first, he's got captain all over him

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
I think we have future Alternates in Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, JVR right now. I don't see captain material in anyone yet, however.

mikebel111*

I think Kadri has it in him down the road.

He might but I think its more likely he wears an A
As for my choice, I think its Morgan, but Finn also has a great shot if he can establish himself in the NHL
Brown and Percy are my dark horses

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
none of the above, i dont think anyone of those guys have ever been captains.
the leafs need a leader on and of the ice, a player that other players look up.
clark, gilmore, messier, gretzky, yzerman, etc

CalgaryLeaf*

none of the above...I don't think the future captain is in the organization yet.

Rielly is a nice kid but he is too quiet to be a Captain..He doesn't seem like the leader type.

I'm hearing really good things about Connor Brown & Finn but they'll have to be top players in order to wear the "C".

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
The only player on that list who might even remotely be capable of the job down the road is Rielly. I assume Finn was put on there as a joke.

And Dylan Strome! Um, no.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
We don't know what goes on behind the scenes in the dressing room and how they act so it's really hard to tell who should be captain or not. I'd think there would be alternates for a couple of years until someone really showed their leadership but if I was forced to give someone the captaincy right now, I'd have to go with Rielly. He's going to be here for a while, his play on the ice is really coming around. Could see him as a lead by example type of guy.

mikebel111*

The only player on that list who might even remotely be capable of the job down the road is Rielly. I assume Finn was put on there as a joke.

And Dylan Strome! Um, no.

Whats wrong with Finn, if he can become a good player, than I see the argument

mikebel111*

Lmao at people saying Kadri.

That would be hilarious.

He has certainly leadership attributes(I know I just opened a can of worms with that statement but its the truth)
This board would blow up if he he was captain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad