TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
It's like people forget how clutch this guy is and how he performs in the playoffs. Yeah, things are looking crappy, but it ain't time to panic.

Find a trading partner for Plekanec is priority numero uno.

DD or Eller close second

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...If Edmonton offers Draisaitl + Nurse and this years's first. Before the draft. With a guaranteed, say, 7th pick at worst (so, I guess, 27th overall for Edmonton).
You think about it. HARD.

I don't think this will happen. But you certainly think about it, and you certainly don't shop Subban.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm a Sens fan, I just listened to the interview and it is ridiculous. I mean the guys doing the interview are laughing at him basically.

Trading Subban for a #1 centre, then what the hell do you have on defense? Markov is aging, Beaulieu is still young and needs more experience, Petry is good ok sure but then you have guys like Emelin, Pateryn, Barberio and Gilbert. You're not going to be a good team with that defense, even if you have a better offense.

This team is built around defense and goaltending. Montreal will not become a better team by trading Subban.

Also, I understand that Pacioretty isn't playing well but trading him is not a solution either.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I missed the part about Subban. Piss off, Gagnon. Like Kriss said, if Subban gets traded before Therrien's fired, I will throw my jersey on the ice personally and wash my hands of this embarrassment of a franchise. It'd make more sense being a bloody Leafs fan. At least they look competent lately.

Granted, I know we could get offers like Hall or something, but I still say no. Subban is absolutely untouchable.

I would do the same. I would maybe join my mom, she's had a Bruins jersey waiting for since I was a child.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
That's why he wore his company Cap and an other NHL Jersey at he ASG?

You mean the hat he wears after every damn game. And the jagr jersey he wore during a skills competition to honor a living legend.

Man some of these posts are :help:

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Anyone not named Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and Gallagher.

Pacioretty is expandable. Galchenyuk the same thing (see Jones, Seguin, Johansen, etc). You keep Subban, Price and Gallagher. Real leaders.

Now, let's concentrate on picking a true franchise player at the end of the season. Picking a guy like Matthews would be the building block of this franchise. (If we get the 1st overall pick)

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Fair enough, I didn't read the blog and jumped to conclusions. Obviously, Price and Subban are the ones you don't trade but honestly, if Edmonton offered McDavid and Nurse for Subban I'd think long and hard and probably make the deal. Price; however, not a deal in the league I would move him for. He's far too important and far too good.

Craziness. You wouldn't move Price for McDavid? The kid is in the 66/99 tier, if not, at WORST, 87 before his injuries. Seeing Desharnais toiling on our first line for the past few should be reason enough to take that deal and run if it was ever offered.:laugh:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
well, you've solved your #1C issue only to create a different issue on D

its the montreal canadiens shell game !

I doubt that PK would be traded, but if plekanec and casperetty are viewed as " core players" if someone was kicking the tires, I wouldn't chase them off the lot.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If we want a big offensive superstar we should bid on Stamkos when he's UFA.

I think that the leafs have more cap room and certainly higher demand for Stamkos.
I would love it if we could sign him, but I don't think its likely to happen.

I thought the prevailing wisdom was resign in tampa ( at least before the 8.5 offer) or he's a leaf.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Craziness. You wouldn't move Price for McDavid? The kid is in the 66/99 tier, if not, at WORST, 87 before his injuries. Seeing Desharnais toiling on our first line for the past few should be reason enough to take that deal and run if it was ever offered.:laugh:

Who would be our goalie full time? Condon? Im pretty sure he's close to last in the league for every goalie category for goalies who have played enough games.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Should listen to what Gagnon actually said before criticizing. It was suggested to him that Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher and AG were untouchable. He said that they should not trade Subban unless there was a huge return. He just didn't want him or anyone other than Price being listed as untouchable. He said that Subban is the only superstar on the ice presently.
As for DD, etc, he said that he has done nothing since the beginning of the year and that others have done nothing either. He also said that MT should have been traded 10 or 15 games ago and that MB's job should be in jeopardy.
He said a lot of things that a lot of people here would agree with.

Even then, Price and Subban shouldn't be traded, not for the time being at least. If we pull a miracle with Beaulieu and he wins the Norris next year, then okay, maybe Subban becomes expendable. However, it would be a PR nightmare considering how involved Subban is in Mtl.
That aside, these trades are pointless. They almost never happen. When is the last time a Norris winner was traded? Chris Pronger? You don't trade those players.

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
Subban is the only Habs skater, maybe include Gallagher, that you know will step it up and perform when the games get bigger. Chucky at LW not sure.

Pacioretty at 4m is close to untouchable but won't be when he gets a new contract.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Even then, Price and Subban shouldn't be traded, not for the time being at least. If we pull a miracle with Beaulieu and he wins the Norris next year, then okay, maybe Subban becomes expendable. However, it would be a PR nightmare considering how involved Subban is in Mtl.
That aside, these trades are pointless. They almost never happen. When is the last time a Norris winner was traded? Chris Pronger? You don't trade those players.

I agree. I can't think of a player that would be available that I would trade Subban for. I was just pointing out that Gagnon wasn't really saying that PK should be traded either. It's really a non-issue. He's our best skater. No-one really believes it's even a consideration.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
French media are really saying anything just to protect Therrien. Really shameful.

I dont like Gagnon because I dont feel like he has an interesting level of hockey knowledge but he's definitely not a Therrien fan.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I'd be willing to give up Pacioretty & Galchenyuk for the right pieces.

The other 3 are untouchable.

No , the only untouchables are Subban and price. Gallgher as much as I love him is not. If pacioretty a 30g man at 4.5 million isn't untouchable , no way Gallgher is. You gotta give to get and Gallagher , Galchenyuk and Pacs are all we have. If not be prepared for Carey to save our ***** every game. Nothing new. Then again we're dealing with Bergevin and he has no clue how to acquire talent

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Can't believe that I'm seeing names like Pacioretty and Petry popping up in the expendables list. Uhhh, maybe if we've decided that we've given up on this whole ''our window is now'' thing. Even Laine is not guaranteed to be as good of a left winger as Pacioretty (good chance, and I do have him 1st overall, but still), and our defense without Petry will be Subban, basically. Petry hasn't been playing well recently, but he's shown the ability to anchor a second pairing. Those guys are hard to replace.

Moving Markov or Plekanec though? Yes. Let's do that. They are maturing assets which still have some value.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
If we want a big offensive superstar we should bid on Stamkos when he's UFA.

Don't want to takeover the thread, but if he becomes UFA in July, I see his interests on different tiers:

1st tier: He stays with Tampa Bay (current team) or goes to Toronto (hometown that would be ready to pay to get him to get a franchise player);

2nd tier: He signs with a high-profile city team, New York (Rangers), Los Angeles, maybe Chicago if cap is available;

3rd tier: Other great hockey markets;

4th tier: Anywhere else.

Not sure if Montreal would be 2nd or 3rd tier for him. I would like to see him sign with us, but can't really figure how it would be possible with Toronto interested in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad