TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't want to takeover the thread, but if he becomes UFA in July, I see his interests on different tiers:

1st tier: He stays with Tampa Bay (current team) or goes to Toronto (hometown that would be ready to pay to get him to get a franchise player);

2nd tier: He signs with a high-profile city team, New York (Rangers), Los Angeles, maybe Chicago if cap is available;

3rd tier: Other great hockey markets;

4th tier: Anywhere else.

Not sure if Montreal would be 2nd or 3rd tier for him. I would like to see him sign with us, but can't really figure how it would be possible with Toronto interested in him.
Just because he's from TO it doesn't mean he'll want to go there. They're in the beginning stages of a rebuild and he's in his prime. If he wants to win a cup he's much better off here.

Stamkos, Max, Chuck, Gallgagher up front

PK, Markov, Petry, Beau on D

Price in net

That's a scary team. We'd have to dump Pleks to make it happen but that's fine. Eller is the 3rd line center, Chuck is 2nd and Stamkos is first. That's amazing strength up the middle. DD of course would also have to be ejected. If we add Stamkos and subtract DD and Pleks we become immediate cup favourites.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I dont like Gagnon because I dont feel like he has an interesting level of hockey knowledge but he's definitely not a Therrien fan.

What happened with that other Fanfois Gagnon bubble about Therrien getting fired a couple of weeks ago? The guy is part of a very biased AC panel. He's as reliable as Ecklund and Pagnotta.

Last edited:

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Don't want to takeover the thread, but if he becomes UFA in July, I see his interests on different tiers:

1st tier: He stays with Tampa Bay (current team) or goes to Toronto (hometown that would be ready to pay to get him to get a franchise player);

2nd tier: He signs with a high-profile city team, New York (Rangers), Los Angeles, maybe Chicago if cap is available;

3rd tier: Other great hockey markets;

4th tier: Anywhere else.

Not sure if Montreal would be 2nd or 3rd tier for him. I would like to see him sign with us, but can't really figure how it would be possible with Toronto interested in him.

Why if mtl matches any offer made why would they be so low? He is friends with Subban and having an all-world goalie doesnt hurt

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Quick question: Did Boucher ever coach Stamkos? Was he on friendly terms with him? If so... HIRE that guy right now.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Quick question: Did Boucher ever coach Stamkos? Was he on friendly terms with him? If so... HIRE that guy right now.

He coached Tampa starting in 2009 or 2010 and was there a couple of years and then fired. I don't know if he got along with Stamkos or not but Stamkos did pretty good those years.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Why if mtl matches any offer made why would they be so low? He is friends with Subban and having an all-world goalie doesnt hurt

Stamkos present offer from TB is $8.5M per year for eight years and wasn't taken.

So, Stamkos' offer would need to be at least $9M or more probably closer to "Jonathan Toews ($10.5 million per year) and the contract most recently signed by ‘16 free agent class comparable Anze Kopitar ($10 million per season) with the LA Kings."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ty-Anderson/Stamkos-offers-well-see-on-future-in-Tampa-Bay/226/74456

Montreal won't offer that. They have to get rid of other contracts first.

Last edited:

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Hard to evaluate this roster with this coaching team. What would a new coach not able to do is insert more talent into it without Bergevin making any moves. Players like Markov-Plekanec could regain some form and be better...but how much better?

IMO, our core seem pretty obvious, it' starts with Price, Subban, Patch,Gallagher, Chucky,Petry,Plekanec and Markov. It's not good enough no matter who the coach. Lacks a top-end center, creativity and punch.

On the table for me should be in order
Plekanec
PertyMarkov

from the depth, I would like to see DD, Flynn, Andrighetto, Fleishmann and maybe Beaulieu...could add Gilbert to that.

Picks that I have in play is all of them, depending the return. Inject talent to this team regardless picks or prospect and NHL players.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Stamkos present offer from TB is $8.5M per year for eight years and wasn't taken.

So, Stamkos' offer would need to be at least $9M or more probably closer to "Jonathan Toews ($10.5 million per year) and the contract most recently signed by ‘16 free agent class comparable Anze Kopitar ($10 million per season) with the LA Kings."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ty-Anderson/Stamkos-offers-well-see-on-future-in-Tampa-Bay/226/74456

Montreal won't offer that. They have to get rid of other contracts first.

If we can shed Plekanec and DD, I wouldn't bat an eye giving him what we save and maybe an extra 1.5M if that's what it takes to have him (11M$ total). Unless we get 1st OA, we need Stamkos next summer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Market timing is atrocious re most of Habs players, and in Plekanec's case, his bloated contract only means that Bergevin will need to eat some salary to get him moved or Bergevin will have to take on an undesirable player as an offset. Bergevin jumping the gun and overpaying and/or over-extending term on several deals, have made him the author of his own misfortune.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Just because he's from TO it doesn't mean he'll want to go there. They're in the beginning stages of a rebuild and he's in his prime. If he wants to win a cup he's much better off here.

Stamkos, Max, Chuck, Gallgagher up front

PK, Markov, Petry, Beau on D

Price in net

That's a scary team. We'd have to dump Pleks to make it happen but that's fine. Eller is the 3rd line center, Chuck is 2nd and Stamkos is first. That's amazing strength up the middle. DD of course would also have to be ejected. If we add Stamkos and subtract DD and Pleks we become immediate cup favourites.

You forgot Matthews....:naughty:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone who is an UFA at year's end and we don't intend to sign :
Flash
Gilbert

And this garbage :
Plekanec
Markov
DD
Eller

I'd keep Weise and Byron personally but ...
You'd keep Weise? The guy who thinks he's a legit finesse player that going to get paid $2.5M or so per year? ****kk that.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Weise.

When you're a crusher, then you think you are a rusher, you soon become an usher.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What happened with that other Fanfois Gagnon bubble about Therrien getting fired a couple of weeks ago? The guy is part of a very biased AC panel. He's as reliable as Ecklund and Pagnotta.

In order of most reliable:

1.Pagnotta
2.Ecklund
3.my Dog
4.the neighbours Dog
5.Francois Gagnon

......Bon match!

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
If we can shed Plekanec and DD, I wouldn't bat an eye giving him what we save and maybe an extra 1.5M if that's what it takes to have him (11M$ total). Unless we get 1st OA, we need Stamkos next summer.

That would spend every cent the Habs have in cap space, plus you still have aging players like Markov. You still also would have to move Plekanecs and DD for zero salary return. That would be next to impossible.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Plekanec --> trade for: who cares
Markov --> replaced by Beaulieu
Emelin --> replaced by Pateryn
DD --> replaced by Eller
Flynn ---> replaced by Lessio

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I would keep Chucky, I don't want to lose another kid with talent. And similar to Andrei K, even after all the **** said about them, you still get your regular 20 goals a season.

He should be our first or second line center.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He coached Tampa starting in 2009 or 2010 and was there a couple of years and then fired. I don't know if he got along with Stamkos or not but Stamkos did pretty good those years.

Yea I think the moment Tampa fired Melrose, Stamkos started tearing it up. He became a Top player under Boucher. Seems like he had problem with Melrose and Cooper but was fine with Boucher.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know some like the tank idea and all, but if they thought Boucher was their guy, I'd bring him in now and not wait until the end of the season. Players are not responding to Therrien, obviously, so it's the easiest move to make. Plus, it allows the new coach to assess his players and have those with a tenuous hold on a spot, prove that they deserve to have a meaningful role next year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I know some like the tank idea and all, but if they thought Boucher was their guy, I'd bring him in now and not wait until the end of the season. Players are not responding to Therrien, obviously, so it's the easiest move to make. Plus, it allows the new coach to assess his players and have those with a tenuous hold on a spot, prove that they deserve to have a meaningful role next year.

Boucher is coaching a team in an active season, I think. Don't think they can just bring him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->