Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
31 Thoughts: The hidden benefits of NHL’s big gambling bet - Sportsnet.ca

#18-24 are also Jets related but posting them in their entirety would probably fill the page.

Maurice on the Vegas playoff series last season: “The answer is yes. Not because we deserved it — they beat us. They were better than we were. We had spent so much to get there, we were a half-step off of what we did. So what haunts me about that is it’s my job to find that half-step…. I didn’t find that, so it bothers me."

So his solution for finding that half-step his year is to play Scheifele and Wheeler into the ground just like he did last season, and underplay everyone else. Yep, that's some fine coaching, Maurice, way to get your brain working on the issue.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Maurice on the Vegas playoff series last season: “The answer is yes. Not because we deserved it — they beat us. They were better than we were. We had spent so much to get there, we were a half-step off of what we did. So what haunts me about that is it’s my job to find that half-step…. I didn’t find that, so it bothers me."

So his solution for finding that half-step his year is to play Scheifele and Wheeler into the ground just like he did last season, and underplay everyone else. Yep, that's some fine coaching, Maurice, way to get your brain working on the issue.

That was one of the things that stood out to me, as well as what he said about Laine's development. They feel like he needs to get better at using his body to protect the puck because he already has the strength to do it.

Hopefully when everyone gets going at the rate we know they're capable of he starts equalizing the minutes a little better.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That was one of the things that stood out to me, as well as what he said about Laine's development. They feel like he needs to get better at using his body to protect the puck because he already has the strength to do it.

Hopefully when everyone gets going at the rate we know they're capable of he starts equalizing the minutes a little better.

True, at some point we need to start rolling 4 lines again.

Reactions: GNP

None

Feb 22, 2012
14. Last weekend’s most exciting moment was Patrik Laine’s five-goal outburst in St. Louis. The fifth came with 18:44 to go, and the only disappointment was Paul Maurice didn’t force Laine to stay on the ice the rest of the game to chase Joe Malone’s record seven.
. . .
The Blues were disgusted with themselves, Joel Edmundson saying, “We let one guy score five goals. We shouldn’t be letting a team score five goals, let alone one guy.” Last year, word on Laine was he wanted to shoot from two areas: the Ovechkin spot, and the middle of the ice at even-strength. Diversification would help, even for someone of his talent, but you can’t expect those types of opportunities too often. That was a rough night for St. Louis.
15. The Jets have an interesting pattern. Saturday’s win made them 11-1-1 against teams below them in the standings. Against those tied or ahead, they are 2-6-1.

Not directly related to the Jets, but everyone's favourite agent is making the news again for tough negotiations.
7. It was whispered that one of the reasons Chicago traded Nick Schmaltz is the Blackhawks weren’t comfortable with where extension discussions went. Agent Kurt Overhardt disputed that. “At no time did we ever talk numbers or term regarding Nick,” he said. Arizona GM John Chayka said the ex-Blackhawk was once considered “untouchable.” When we reported Stan Bowman’s interest in Carolina’s Justin Faulk during the last offseason, word was Chicago’s GM would not include the centre in that potential transaction.

The phrasing reminded me of the time Lawless leaked that the Jets hadn't spoken to Overhardt about the dollars and cents at all when Trouba was demanding a trade.

31 Thoughts: Senators' Melnyk scrambling to save arena deal - Sportsnet.ca

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Last year, word on Laine was he wanted to shoot from two areas: the Ovechkin spot, and the middle of the ice at even-strength. Diversification would help, even for someone of his talent, but you can’t expect those types of opportunities too often. That was a rough night for St. Louis.

What are the other good spots for a right handed shot?

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Poor Laine, if he only he knew how to score from more then 2 spots. (or shoot)

upload_2018-11-27_15-58-17.png

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
True, at some point we need to start rolling 4 lines again.

When we were playing Roslovic's line against Mackinnon's I thought we were making that change. And maybe when Copp comes back we'll get there again.

But I think Wheeler runs this team as much as Maurice. He needs to be a leader by allowing other players to prosper here too. Resting Scheif and Wheeler for a PK so that you have them for a momentum pushing shift after would be a fresh change.
I'd love to see Rosie and Connor go out for a PK, at least once this year.

Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That win-loss record tells me we're getting by on talent alone. When talent isn't enough (against top teams in the league) we are losing.
Maybe the talent needs to up it's game, especially in net. It's not like the Jets are getting buried by better teams, they've lacked execution in a number of games and their goaltending has let them down numerous times already.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Just because we are having a rough patch blowing leads in the second quarter of the season does not mean:

A) This will continue happening all year.

B) This will roll over into the playoffs when the games actually matter.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
When we were playing Roslovic's line against Mackinnon's I thought we were making that change. And maybe when Copp comes back we'll get there again.

But I think Wheeler runs this team as much as Maurice. He needs to be a leader by allowing other players to prosper here too. Resting Scheif and Wheeler for a PK so that you have them for a momentum pushing shift after would be a fresh change.
I'd love to see Rosie and Connor go out for a PK, at least once this year.

Agreed it's time to start getting more guys PK experience and a bit more 5 on 5 time

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
15. The Jets have an interesting pattern. Saturday’s win made them 11-1-1 against teams below them in the standings. Against those tied or ahead, they are 2-6-1.

Step 1: get into first place
Step 2: go 11-1-1 against every team in league
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Lord Stanley's blessed grail

Reactions: SLAYER

None

Feb 22, 2012
31 Thoughts: What’s next for Benn, Seguin and the Dallas Stars?

6. Some other teams to keep an eye on: Pittsburgh, as the Penguins have righted the ship, looking to make themselves better; and Minnesota, with the Wild beginning Wednesday five points out of the playoffs. The tough thing for them is that unless they change what they are willing to do, there’s kind of a paralysis. Philadelphia’s been a constant, but now the question is, are they adding or selling? The Rangers will sell, but may decide to wait until closer to the deadline. And who is Winnipeg’s 2019 version of Paul Stastny?

There was talk of the Jets scouting Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and then Bill Guerin was at a Jets game or two. Friedman seems to be throwing teams at the wall in that part, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets tried adding more depth. I think the obvious places to add would be C and LD, I wonder who the Jets were scouting.

Do any Jets skip if they're invited?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
31 Thoughts: What’s next for Benn, Seguin and the Dallas Stars?

There was talk of the Jets scouting Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and then Bill Guerin was at a Jets game or two. Friedman seems to be throwing teams at the wall in that part, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets tried adding more depth. I think the obvious places to add would be C and LD, I wonder who the Jets were scouting.

Do any Jets skip if they're invited?

No because I'm not certain the organization would allow it.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
The Jets had a couple of mentions in the newest article pertaining to Brossoit, Tanev, and Roslovic and the interest in them around the league.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
10. In a league that is starving for goaltending depth, keep an eye on Winnipeg’s Laurent Brossoit. He worked hard last summer under Adam Francilia, who repaired Connor Hellebuyck in 2017. Brossoit’s been very good for the Jets. One year from unrestricted free agency, teams will be watching to see how both he and the Jets handle his future
Another Jet being watched? Brandon Tanev. Good depth player who is free this summer. Winnipeg will have tough choices to make. Sounds like a few teams have asked about Jack Roslovic, only to have GM Kevin Cheveldayoff swat their requests Mutombo-like into the upper deck. Roslovic’s getting more minutes now, with Nikolaj Ehlers injured.

Reactions: ps241 and KingBogo

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
IMO Rosie is moving in this direction, and I still think they will continue to groom him as a center to gradually replace Little at #2.

He’s been very poor at C. He could be a top 6 winger eventually but there’s a lot of guys there.

Like I said I’m a fan of him but asset wise the Jets are deep on the wings and thin down the middle and the back end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad