Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
A new season and 1 extra thought this year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-making-sense-matt-duchenes-situation/

23. Mark Scheifele with some great insight into Sidney Crosby and how that affects Scheifele’s own approach. “Sid does it consistently. He makes the same play over-and-over again. He creates so many chances by being consistent for his linemates.†What does “being consistent for your linemates†mean? “Obviously Sid likes certain areas on the ice. He likes that back post, clearly guys know he’s there. Through the neutral zone, he does certain things over and over. They know where he’s going, they know his reads. That’s what chemistry is. They know his reads, they know what he’s thinking. Obviously, Sid is at a different level the way he thinks the game, but being consistent for everyone around you helps everyone be the best player that they can. When they get stuck in a situation it’s not like, ‘Where is everyone?’ It’s like, €˜Sid’s right there.’â€

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-making-sense-matt-duchenes-situation/

23. Mark Scheifele with some great insight into Sidney Crosby and how that affects ScheifeleÂ’s own approach. “Sid does it consistently. He makes the same play over-and-over again. He creates so many chances by being consistent for his linemates.†What does “being consistent for your linemates†mean? “Obviously Sid likes certain areas on the ice. He likes that back post, clearly guys know heÂ’s there. Through the neutral zone, he does certain things over and over. They know where heÂ’s going, they know his reads. ThatÂ’s what chemistry is. They know his reads, they know what heÂ’s thinking. Obviously, Sid is at a different level the way he thinks the game, but being consistent for everyone around you helps everyone be the best player that they can. When they get stuck in a situation itÂ’s not like, ‘Where is everyone?Â’ ItÂ’s like, ‘SidÂ’s right there.Â’Ââ€

Evander was like that. He would consistently streak into the O zone and blast a slap shot from just inside the blue line into the goalie's chest. :D

Is predictable a good thing? I mean, defenders can learn tendencies as well as his teammates.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Evander was like that. He would consistently streak into the O zone and blast a slap shot from just inside the blue line into the goalie's chest. :D

Is predictable a good thing? I mean, defenders can learn tendencies as well as his teammates.

I don't think he's saying Crosby does exactly the same thing every time. Just that his teammates have a good idea what those things could be.

Crosby 's teammates likely can read him better than defenders can.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

23. Mark Scheifele with some great insight into Sidney Crosby and how that affects Scheifele’s own approach. “Sid does it consistently. He makes the same play over-and-over again. He creates so many chances by being consistent for his linemates.†What does “being consistent for your linemates†mean? “Obviously Sid likes certain areas on the ice. He likes that back post, clearly guys know he’s there. Through the neutral zone, he does certain things over and over. They know where he’s going, they know his reads. That’s what chemistry is. They know his reads, they know what he’s thinking. Obviously, Sid is at a different level the way he thinks the game, but being consistent for everyone around you helps everyone be the best player that they can. When they get stuck in a situation it’s not like, ‘Where is everyone?’ It’s like, ‘Sid’s right there.’â€

Paul coming right out and declaring Mark Scheifele the next captain (after Wheeler) of the Jets. That's quite the public endorsement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It doesn't seem that teams are able to stop him despite knowing this so I don't see how it's bad. I also think it was more so to do with his teammates knowing what he is likely to do with and without the puck.

Look at Burmie, I don't think anyone had a clue what he was doing on the ice so he was hard to play with.

I think what Scheifele is getting at is that all of the Jets skilled guys need to be able to read and react well off of each other to take this thing up a level.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I don't think he's saying Crosby does exactly the same thing every time. Just that his teammates have a good idea what those things could be.

Crosby 's teammates likely can read him better than defenders can.

I think it's along those lines. It's more analogous to a quarterback and receiver reading a defense the same way to exploit an opportunity.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
It doesn't seem that teams are able to stop him despite knowing this so I don't see how it's bad. I also think it was more so to do with his teammates knowing what he is likely to do with and without the puck.

Look at Burmie, I don't think anyone had a clue what he was doing on the ice so he was hard to play with.

I think what Scheifele is getting at is that all of the Jets skilled guys need to be able to read and react well off of each other to take this thing up a level.

Everyone knows where Ovechkin is going to be on a powerplay but that hasn't stopped him from scoring from the exact same spot night in night out

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
site doesn't wanna post the sportsnet URL for some reason. This is from the latest 31 thoughts.

15. A Western Conference exec joked last summer he was worried “the Jets would stop taking bad penalties and get more consistent goaltending, because then we’d all be in trouble.” Spoke to him earlier this week. “My comment stands. They have great young talent, and those players are ready to take the next step.”

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
also:

4. Not a ton of gossip this week. Injuries, waivers and the performance of young players will undoubtedly shape movement over the next seven days. Among the most interesting storylines: Brock Boeser and Jake Virtanen (Vancouver); Kailer Yamamoto (Edmonton); Mark Jankowski (Calgary); Logan Brown (Ottawa); Tucker Poolman (Winnipeg); Victor Mete (Montreal); Lias Andersson and Filip Chytil (Rangers); Owen Tippett (Florida); Alex DeBrincat (Chicago); Michael Rasmussen (Detroit); Samuel Blais, Tage Thompson and Jake Walman (St. Louis).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with Poolman being one of the interesting story lines of the preseason. Safe guy to send down due to contract status. But if he wasn't on an ELC where would he fit based on play alone? That's the question I keep coming back to.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Agree with Poolman being one of the interesting story lines of the preseason. Safe guy to send down due to contract status. But if he wasn't on an ELC where would he fit based on play alone? That's the question I keep coming back to.
Not hard to imagine him getting the callup in a few weeks when Myers or Toby start their injury fest.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not hard to imagine him getting the callup in a few weeks when Myers or Toby start their injury fest.
Agree he will be the 1st call up with injuries. That is the safe move and teams primarily make safe moves to set the opening day roster. I'm curious where people think he slots in based on talent/play and not contract status.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Agree he will be the 1st call up with injuries. That is the safe move and teams primarily make safe moves to set the opening day roster. I'm curious where people think he slots in based on talent/play and not contract status.
Poolman's a perfect 3rd pairing D-man. i think that any club that's legitimately deep in D would have him as their #5 d-man.
unless you're the Leafs, of course, where you have Hainsey on your 1st pairing. lol.
i hate bringing up Jets v1.0 as a comparison, but the player that Poolman reminds me of a bit is Numminen. not a brute in his zone, more than adequate in the O zone. a steady guy you have out there for penalty kills, but you wouldn't weep if you had him on the 2nd PP unit in bits and spurts.
he's not as heady as Enstrom is, but is a less talented, more gumption version of that, if that makes sense. and he's not afraid to put shots on net. he's not launching howitzers, but his shot's landing on net for rebounds or tips.

dude's got a future. it may be in 2018-19 when Enstrom's not brought back, but he still has a solid future. and i'd guess that he won't pout if he starts on the Moose

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Poolman's a perfect 3rd pairing D-man. i think that any club that's legitimately deep in D would have him as their #5 d-man.
unless you're the Leafs, of course, where you have Hainsey on your 1st pairing. lol.
i hate bringing up Jets v1.0 as a comparison, but the player that Poolman reminds me of a bit is Numminen. not a brute in his zone, more than adequate in the O zone. a steady guy you have out there for penalty kills, but you wouldn't weep if you had him on the 2nd PP unit in bits and spurts.
he's not as heady as Enstrom is, but is a less talented, more gumption version of that, if that makes sense. and he's not afraid to put shots on net. he's not launching howitzers, but his shot's landing on net for rebounds or tips.

dude's got a future. it may be in 2018-19 when Enstrom's not brought back, but he still has a solid future. and i'd guess that he won't pout if he starts on the Moose
Still trying to figure out the whole "likes" thing but this is a good post. IMO if Poolman is in our top 6 defenseman and this is a win now team, why wouldn't we have him on the roster from day one?

Reactions: Skidooboy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
site doesn't wanna post the sportsnet URL for some reason. This is from the latest 31 thoughts.

15. A Western Conference exec joked last summer he was worried “the Jets would stop taking bad penalties and get more consistent goaltending, because then we’d all be in trouble.” Spoke to him earlier this week. “My comment stands. They have great young talent, and those players are ready to take the next step.”

It might have taken a year longer than it should have, but the roster and prospect pool is exactly how I hoped the Jets would develop the organization. They are solid from top to bottom. They might need to re evaluate there coaching, but replacing a coach is infinitely easier than building the hockey talent and depth.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
It might have taken a year longer than it should have, but the roster and prospect pool is exactly how I hoped the Jets would develop the organization. They are solid from top to bottom. They might need to re evaluate there coaching, but replacing a coach is infinitely easier than building the hockey talent and depth.
and to think that people were crapping on Chevy getting a contract extension....

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So you want to know whose job he would take? Easily Tyler Myers' based on play so far in the pre-season but Myers is capable of better than he has shown so far.

Otherwise I think he would replace Toby next year - unless Toby re-signs.

Then there are all the possibilities related to Trouba.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Still trying to figure out the whole "likes" thing but this is a good post. IMO if Poolman is in our top 6 defenseman and this is a win now team, why wouldn't we have him on the roster from day one?

Do you think he is in our top 6? Who is he better than right now?

You keep coming back to asking where would he stand contract and waiver status aside. Now you are asking why contract and waiver status is not ignored. Do you want him sitting in the PB opening day instead of Chiarot? What purpose would that serve?

I think he is clearly ahead of Chiapet. He will be called up at the first injury and Chiarot will continue to sit in the PB.

We have a pretty good top 6. Poolman's play has taken away the worry that 1 injury puts Chiarot back in the lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Who does he replace in the top 6? Don't get me wrong I like what he's done this camp but I think there is a bit of shiny new toy/eye test bias good on here. The last couple of games as the vets have started to ratchet up their play he's looked more ordinary. On a team that has killed it on CF% the last few games he's been solid 52% which would make him a negative relative CF% player in comparison to the rest of the team. It's a small sample size but to me it substantiates my opinion that he hasn't been as effective as many on here think. For comparison sake Kulikov has crushed it on CF% the last few games and is performing better than what most people think. He's been more effective than Poolman despite maybe not looking as flashy.

The only starting dmen that Poolman has outperformed this camp is Myers, but he will be given some leeway to come back from missing 3/4 of the year last year.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I think the same thing. If we are serious about winning now, then the best players play regardless of seniority or contract (without giving players away of course).

Is he better than Myers or Kulikov? I don't know. Definitely better than Chariot, but you don't want him sitting in the press box either.

Maurice said that when guys are brought up the will fill in the spot that was vacant, we all look at forwards with this comment, but maybe the same applies to D as well? One of the top 4 goes down, maybe Poolman comes in.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

You almost couldn't hope for more than we have right now from a player depth perspective.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you think he is in our top 6? Who is he better than right now?

You keep coming back to asking where would he stand contract and waiver status aside. Now you are asking why contract and waiver status is not ignored. Do you want him sitting in the PB opening day instead of Chiarot? What purpose would that serve?

I think he is clearly ahead of Chiapet. He will be called up at the first injury and Chiarot will continue to sit in the PB.

We have a pretty good top 6. Poolman's play has taken away the worry that 1 injury puts Chiarot back in the lineup.

My intention was to solicit others thoughts. My thinking is why not waive Chiarot and keep Poolman up as the 7th defenseman. Not to rot in the PB, bot rather rotate in and out of the lineup with Myers, Kulikov and maybe even Toby. All 3 of those guys are coming off injury plagued seasons with Myers already needing maintenance days, and none have been stellar through camp. Why not keep them fresh and maybe less likely to go down with injuries by giving some nights off. Generate some internal competition and have Poolman ready to plug and play when the inevitable injuries hit. IMO if he is part of the future and he deserves to be here let's make him part of the now.

IMO Chiarot and his $1.4 cap hit makes it through waivers. If not make a move for somebody already through waivers to fill out the Moose line up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My intention was to solicit others thoughts. My thinking is why not waive Chiarot and keep Poolman up as the 7th defenseman. Not to rot in the PB, bot rather rotate in and out of the lineup with Myers, Kulikov and maybe even Toby. All 3 of those guys are coming off injury plagued seasons with Myers already needing maintenance days, and none have been stellar through camp. Why not keep them fresh and maybe less likely to go down with injuries by giving some nights off. Generate some internal competition and have Poolman ready to plug and play when the inevitable injuries hit. IMO if he is part of the future and he deserves to be here let's make him part of the now.

IMO Chiarot and his $1.4 cap hit makes it through waivers. If not make a move for somebody already through waivers to fill out the Moose line up.

Well, I replied to your solicitation in an earlier post. Then you took it to the next step I referred to.

What you are suggesting is not the obvious that lots of posters have pointed out. Your original question - that you kept coming back to - seemed to simply ignore all those posts. And there have been a lot of them.

I think it is an interesting suggestion. It would maximize the value of the internal competition Poolman provides while at the same time resting the regulars a bit.

We will need both Poolman and Chiarot for injury replacement through the season. I could see Poolman getting 50-60 games in that role alone and Chiarot another 30-40. That negates your plan which assumes a lot of good health.

I'm not sure that Chiarot makes it through waivers. He might, or not. Dmen are always at a bit of a premium. I think we still need the depth he provides as #8. I think his deficiencies have been overstated here. By the standards of a #7 D he is not bad. As a #8, I think he is pretty good.

By sending Poolman down we don't have to take even the small risk of waiving any D. He will get plenty of playing time with the Jets. Probably about the same amount as if it was done your way.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad