Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Perreault seriously needs to work on his offsides as he just gets too into it lots. Swear I see him offside almost every game lately.

I also would like to see these lines get tested out.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Lowry-Little-Tanev
Laine-Copp-Perreault
Lemieux-Roslovic-Appleton

None

Feb 22, 2012
31 Thoughts: All eyes on Senators as trade deadline nears

The big-game hunters for rentals (including Artemi Panarin) are Calgary, the Islanders, Nashville and Winnipeg for sure.

7. Winnipeg deflected requests for Adam Lowry and Jack Roslovic in its search for improvement. Nick Kypreos reported last Saturday the asks may spread to Sami Niku, just returned to AHL Manitoba. But one player the Jets will move — providing it makes sense for him and the team — is Nic Petan. Limited to 13 games, it is time for a fresh start.

27. Blake Wheeler is on pace for 17 goals and 97 points, which puts him close to a unique accomplishment. No player has ever totalled 100 points with fewer than 20 goals. Four were close: Wayne Gretzky (23 goals and 102 points, 1995–96), Brian Leetch (22 and 102, 1991–92), Adam Oates (23 and 102, 1989–90) and Joe Thornton (22 and 114, 2006–07). But Wheeler’s got a chance to be all alone.

28. How important is Dustin Byfuglien to the Jets? When he got hurt on Dec. 29, the team’s power-play goal leaders were Patrik Laine (10), Mark Scheifele (7) and Kyle Connor (6). Without that bomb to keep everyone honest, those three combined for just one (Connor) in Byfuglien’s absence. Meanwhile, the second unit caught fire with Jack Roslovic scoring five times and Bryan Little twice. (Roslovic’s since been promoted to the top group, with Laine dropped down.)

Since I’m an overwhelmingly positive person, it is only fair to point out that Scheifele and Wheeler have not let their power-play struggles affect their five-on-five performance. Both are top 16 in the NHL in even-strength points.

This one's a little ironic with hindsight because of how a group of fans used to claim the PP was terrible because Buff never passed to Laine. Laine would score 50 PP goals if only he had someone better than Buff at the point. :sarcasm:
A little facetious, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first unit has struggled with Buff off of it.

19-23 are interesting thoughts on the Matthews contract. Apparently a 3 year bridge was offered but the player's side thought there was too much risk so the AAV would've been too high to call it a bridge.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

This one's a little ironic with hindsight because of how a group of fans used to claim the PP was terrible because Buff never passed to Laine. Laine would score 50 PP goals if only he had someone better than Buff at the point. :sarcasm:
A little facetious, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first unit has struggled with Buff off of it.

19-23 are interesting thoughts on the Matthews contract. Apparently a 3 year bridge was offered but the player's side thought there was too much risk so the AAV would've been too high to call it a bridge.

The argument that Buff wouldn't pass to Laine is several seasons old and didn't last long as someone (ahem) pointed out that no one had more primary assists on Laine goals than Buff.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That was always my thought as well. His shot kept everyone honest. Now players on the PK cheat, as they don't have to worry too much about shots from the point.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Perreault seriously needs to work on his offsides as he just gets too into it lots. Swear I see him offside almost every game lately.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Lowry-Little-Tanev
Laine-Copp-Perreault
Lowry on the wing? Fascinating.

Reactions: ennsjd07

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

Haha 27 would be a great record. But if jumbo couldn't even do it...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Lowry-Little-Tanev
Laine-Copp-Perreault

Lowry on the wing? Fascinating.

Can't say that I agree with this particular set up but who knows.
IF Lowry Little and Tanev played together I think you leave Lowry at center.
Little has a lot of experience at RW.
Not sure Lowry has much experience on the wing.

I don't think we've ever seen Perreault on RW
In this case maybe Laine goes back to RW if MP is on his line.

If LRS can't carry the load for the 4th line then I think you need to keep Copp there.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

If LRS can't carry the load for the 4th line then I think you need to keep Copp there.

I just found LRS worked well together in Manitoba, and considering we now apparently have the best fourth-line in the league it'd be interesting to see what they could do.

But I was just spewing ideas on Lowry, but I recall he did play wing the odd time in his first few NHL seasons. I even remember Copp played well with Laine.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

PP1 is struggling with Buff on it too. Maybe the other puck movers or shooters are having struggles now too.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I'm prepared to eat crow on that one. Figured Morrissey slick passing would be a better fit to feed Laine. But the results seem to speak for themselves here.

I do think the Jets are experimenting with some different looks on the PP. And with good reason. If they run into a beastly PK, they will need to adjust as they will get shut down.

Good to know that Kompon had the personnel right all along. He has been a great asset since he came here.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That was always my thought as well. His shot kept everyone honest. Now players on the PK cheat, as they don't have to worry too much about shots from the point.

I think PP1 had gone quiet before Buff's injury though. PK's started concentrating on pressuring Wheeler and cutting off his passing lanes. Buff going down only made it worse but the big change had already happened. Mau needs to change something up on PP1 - and I don't mean the swapping of Laine and Roslovic.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I think if you are playing Lowry and Little together, then Little plays the wing. He scored 30 on the wing, and Lowry is better at faceoffs. Interesting idea though - that 3rd line would be extremely hard to score on, plus you'd have a second center if Lowry got kicked out of the FO circle

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think PP1 had gone quiet before Buff's injury though. PK's started concentrating on pressuring Wheeler and cutting off his passing lanes. Buff going down only made it worse but the big change had already happened. Mau needs to change something up on PP1 - and I don't mean the swapping of Laine and Roslovic.

Do you have any other suggestions?

They have been letting Scheifele and Laine switch roles. Getting Scheifele practice on those one timers Laine lets go. Presumably so they can be more interchangeable when teams adjust around them.

Morrissey and Trouba both got some looks to see how they fit in with Buff out.

Throwing Roslovic in there was another one. Jack has an underrated shot. Once he started using it, I think they gave him some PP time. To get him used to firing that shit when it's on his stick in the slot.

This is the time of year to try new things. And we have been. The trying new stuff is right there to see.

But it's all new, makes sense to me it isn't refined enough to see production yet. They are mostly contingency plans I imagine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you have any other suggestions?

They have been letting Scheifele and Laine switch roles. Getting Scheifele practice on those one timers Laine lets go. Presumably so they can be more interchangeable when teams adjust around them.

Morrissey and Trouba both got some looks to see how they fit in with Buff out.

Throwing Roslovic in there was another one. Jack has an underrated shot. Once he started using it, I think they gave him some PP time. To get him used to firing that **** when it's on his stick in the slot.

This is the time of year to try new things. And we have been. The trying new stuff is right there to see.

But it's all new, makes sense to me it isn't refined enough to see production yet. They are mostly contingency plans I imagine.

It isn't about personnel. The whole league has adjusted to our PP1 style. Basically we have 5 guys each go to their marks and stand there passing the puck around until a lane opens. So the PK's are now doing the same. Very little movement. Just stay in those lanes. The PP1 needs to be more dynamic, IMO. Move around so that they are passing to and from different spots. Get the PK reacting. Then opportunities will open up.

That is what PP2 was doing so successfully. Until Mau moved Roslovic off of it, which seemed to make both units worse.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I really think the Jets should move to a behind-the-net formation on their PP1 unit.

Stimson_Powerplay_1__jpg.png

Only problem is that a natural shift from their 1-3-1 style would mean Wheeler would switch from behind on the right-side of the formation to being on the left-side since he's right-handed. That means your staple one timers from Laine (the LD in the pic) would likely be coming from below the goal-line (LH) or the C or D moving towards the right to give them space. I would also prefer the LH to be Perreault/Petan rather than Connor in this situation to be the forecheck and keep control of the puck along the boards rather than as another shooter on the PP.

If they want to test it out, their current PP2 unit already fits the bill of being able to run this correct, but I would have Roslovic as the C and Little as your RH.

Reactions: Krauser

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It isn't about personnel. The whole league has adjusted to our PP1 style. Basically we have 5 guys each go to their marks and stand there passing the puck around until a lane opens. So the PK's are now doing the same. Very little movement. Just stay in those lanes. The PP1 needs to be more dynamic, IMO. Move around so that they are passing to and from different spots. Get the PK reacting. Then opportunities will open up.

That is what PP2 was doing so successfully. Until Mau moved Roslovic off of it, which seemed to make both units worse.
Agreed, they don't need a different formation, they need more misdirection. The biggest problems right now are both Laine and Scheifele are static and Wheeler keeps trying the same angles. One thing I like about Trouba is the way he walks the line, it adds a bit of rotation. I'd like to see Buff do that more, it would allow for the puck to swing back to Wheeler, higher on the half wall and be able to add a better penetrating option. Right now with 55 and 29 just holding their ice and Wheeler always taking the puck so deep, he really isn't a threat to drive the lane from the side.

In short, they need to move.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really think the Jets should move to a behind-the-net formation on their PP1 unit.

Stimson_Powerplay_1__jpg.png

Only problem is that a natural shift from their 1-3-1 style would mean Wheeler would switch from behind on the right-side of the formation to being on the left-side since he's right-handed. That means your staple one timers from Laine (the LD in the pic) would likely be coming from below the goal-line (LH) or the C or D moving towards the right to give them space. I would also prefer the LH to be Perreault/Petan rather than Connor in this situation to be the forecheck and keep control of the puck along the boards rather than as another shooter on the PP.

If they want to test it out, their current PP2 unit already fits the bill of being able to run this correct, but I would have Roslovic as the C and Little as your RH.

I think any formation will run into trouble if it is static. If you don't force the PK to react, you won't force them to make mistakes.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
If you look at teams that are successful against the Jets diamond shaped PK, which is predicated on denying passes through the seams, they focus heavily on over rotating the top PK'er to one side and either find a lane in the middle up top or swing it back the other way and have a shooting lane from the dot. The Jets rarely have such roation, they don't make PK'ers move much lately.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Agreed, they don't need a different formation, they need more misdirection. The biggest problems right now are both Laine and Scheifele are static and Wheeler keeps trying the same angles. One thing I like about Trouba is the way he walks the line, it adds a bit of rotation. I'd like to see Buff do that more, it would allow for the puck to swing back to Wheeler, higher on the half wall and be able to add a better penetrating option. Right now with 55 and 29 just holding their ice and Wheeler always taking the puck so deep, he really isn't a threat to drive the lane from the side.

I think any formation will run into trouble if it is static. If you don't force the PK to react, you won't force them to make mistakes.

It's not so much that they need to move, it's that they need more options. Connor can't score from below the goal-line. Wheeler is only going to shoot if Connor moves in front of the goaltender, which means the opponent's PK has free reign to pressure Wheeler along the wall. Scheifele barely touches the puck unless he's from the slot. Laine has a monkey on his back but at least he knows when to fight for the puck along the boards and tries to drift for open space, but the lanes in the middle are clogged so they have to go around the boards. Whoever you have on the point not named Byfuglien defers to Wheeler to QB the PP, which either a) goes below the goal-line to Connor to move the puck around, or b) goes back up to the point to start over.

Switching over to a behind-the-net simply gives more options. Any one of your two players from behind-the-net or your C can move to block the vision of the goaltender for a shot (not being Connor all the time). Any one of your D can drift to the top of the faceoff dot to take your typical 'Laine one-timers'. Either side can pass to an open Scheifele in the slot for a quick shot and hopeful goal. Jets haven't been giving themselves enough room to move around in, rather than not moving around as much.

Oh, and they need to fix their faceoffs and entries into the zone too so they can actually set up. It's the #1 problem right now.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

What do you think practicing Laine and Scheifele in different spots is for? Get creative and imagine where they might go with this.

We also have to take into account that Laine is playing poorly and seems like hes a half second slow. If he had been burying his chances like he did in his first two years, the PP numbers would be fine.

Our whole PP being elite revolves around Laine pulling his weight. Not much we can do until he adjusts to how teams are playing him.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The options are there regardless of the set up. They have the weapons to make this set up successful, they've shown that . Moving can give them more options, they aren't using them effectively .

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not so much that they need to move, it's that they need more options. Connor can't score from below the goal-line. Wheeler is only going to shoot if Connor moves in front of the goaltender, which means the opponent's PK has free reign to pressure Wheeler along the wall. Scheifele barely touches the puck unless he's from the slot. Laine has a monkey on his back but at least he knows when to fight for the puck along the boards and tries to drift for open space, but the lanes in the middle are clogged so they have to go around the boards. Whoever you have on the point not named Byfuglien defers to Wheeler to QB the PP, which either a) goes below the goal-line to Connor to move the puck around, or b) goes back up to the point to start over.

Switching over to a behind-the-net simply gives more options. Any one of your two players from behind-the-net or your C can move to block the vision of the goaltender for a shot (not being Connor all the time). Any one of your D can drift to the top of the faceoff dot to take your typical 'Laine one-timers'. Either side can pass to an open Scheifele in the slot for a quick shot and hopeful goal. Jets haven't been giving themselves enough room to move around in, rather than not moving around as much.

Oh, and they need to fix their faceoffs and entries into the zone too so they can actually set up. It's the #1 problem right now.

You have players 'moving' to block the vision of the goaltender. You have them 'drifting' to the top of the dot. That is at least some movement. Maybe Connor could be more mobile, more effective from behind the net. Switch sides, come out in front. Maybe Perreault would be better in that spot.

One thing they could do now is simply putting a little more mustard on their passes. You don't want to overdue that and have passes bouncing over the receivers' sticks, but too often right now their passes lack crispness. By the time they arrive the defense has already adjusted, or they're intercepted.

But moving with the puck is another. The point is to make the PK react to you rather than just waiting to block whatever you try.

Yes, zone entries are a big problem. They execute set plan entries like they are doing a practice walk through. Wooden, telegraphed moves. Face-offs suffer with Scheifele at C. He is still not great at FO's although I think he is improving. Not going to take him off the PP for that though.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Good comments Ducky10 - but I`d go a little further. Wheeler has to improve his half-wall play in general and avoid putting himself in positions deep in the corner that severely limit chances to generate an attack. Connor has to make better plays from down low when he has the puck - some to Scheif, some to Laine- and not simply play catch with Wheeler. He also has to get better at getting out from behind the net and either creating his own shot , or screening/looking for rebounds on shots from elsewhere. Scheifele has to move in and out of the slot and better position himself for tip in opportunities or screening opportunities for pucks at the net from Wheeler or Buff. At present, he positions himself exclusively for the short bumper pass from Wheeler.Buff has to leave his position close the boards and walk the line more towards center ice to create different lanes for shooting or for the slap pass off a shooting threat.Buff also would do well to think about incorporating the quick set-up pass to Laine into the PP scheme more frequently rather than simply returning the puck to Wheeler.. And Laine should ideally be positioned nearer the top of the circles for the kill shot - but they seem to favor a position higher up( maybe to improve chances of controlling some of the low percentage high and wides from Wheeler?)

As you point out, they don`t need a change to the basic formation- it`s fine. But they do need to think out the basic attacking options or tactics if you will,that are available from that formation, and then rehearse positioning/movements accordingly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do you think practicing Laine and Scheifele in different spots is for? Get creative and imagine where they might go with this.

We also have to take into account that Laine is playing poorly and seems like hes a half second slow. If he had been burying his chances like he did in his first two years, the PP numbers would be fine.

Our whole PP being elite revolves around Laine pulling his weight. Not much we can do until he adjusts to how teams are playing him.

Just having different players in the same static spots doesn't accomplish much.

Agree that if Laine was burying it like last year we probably wouldn't be discussing this. But he isn't. I don't agree that there isn't much we can do while we wait for him to get going. Change the style a bit. PK's have adjusted to our PP1.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Our whole power play being elite revolves around Wheeler.
1) Seam pass to Laine
2) into the slot for Scheifele
3) back to the point to Byfuglien
4) behind the net to Connor

As for options the Jets are filled with shoot first forwards. Laine, Scheifele, Little, Connor, Ehlers. I don't think Lowry, Lemieux, Tanev, Copp are best described as "playmakers". Perreault may be the next best playmaking forward in the lineup.

If only there was another elite passer on the team...

:rolleyes:...eyes look skyward to the press box.

Reactions: JetsUK and Maukkis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad