Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Replacing a 3C with a 4C? Not sure why we'd do that. IMO if we flip Kerfoot to Detroit for a 2nd + it's because we're bringing in another center.

When you spend half the cap on 4 players, you have to sacrifice in other areas. Last year, it was the blueline. That didn’t work. Maybe we’re better off sacrificing the 3c position. With Tavares and Matthews eating up so much ice time, it’s wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I dont see why our bottom 2 C's cant be a combination of Spezza, Engvall, Thornton or other minimum contract players.

They are likely to only play 10 mins a night, since Matthews+Tavares playing 40+mins

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I dont see why our bottom 2 C's cant be a combination of Spezza, Engvall, Thornton or other minimum contract players.

They are likely to only play 10 mins a night, since Matthews+Tavares playing 40+mins

What if one gets hurt? None of those players can play top-6 minutes. Not to mention it's arguable that Spezza or Thornton could even get through another full season.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
What if one gets hurt? None of those players can play top-6 minutes. Not to mention it's arguable that Spezza or Thornton could even get through another full season.
Yeah, that’s what made/makes having AJ/Kerfoot/KK a nice luxury.
If NickRob makes the team on the third line, he can likely jump up. Barbaranov sounds like he can too. That’s what makes moving Kerfoot a tricky proposition, because he’s versatile enough to be the third line C or fill in on the top two lines in a pinch at C or LW.

Reactions: kb

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The talk about moving Andersen on the cheap keeps pointing to signing AP to me.

if they’re liquidating assets to recoup low-cost role players and valuable picks, maybe the plan is to trade for a cost controlled goalie to tandem with Soup and reroute the savings to the D.

Reactions: LeafChief and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, that’s what made/makes having AJ/Kerfoot/KK a nice luxury.
If NickRob makes the team on the third line, he can likely jump up. Barbaranov sounds like he can too. That’s what makes moving Kerfoot a tricky proposition, because he’s versatile enough to be the third line C or fill in on the top two lines in a pinch at C or LW.
I think that Kerfoot's versatility is what will keep him around a bit longer. Plus he really looked to be hitting his stride after the resumption of play. Can't forget he had his face caved in by that elbow early in the season, breaking his face.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think that Kerfoot's versatility is what will keep him around a bit longer. Plus he really looked to be hitting his stride after the resumption of play. Can't forget he had his face caved in early in the season, breaking his face.
Very eloquent, and true.
Overall, it was a very tough year for injuries. of the three third liners, with Kap gone, I’m inclined to keep him over AJ ( though his values abit depressed due to injury too).
But if AP (or equivalent) is in play, I’m happy to move on from Kerfoot and try to find a replacement elsewhere, too.

Reactions: kb

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Is it though?
33 games-.915 / 26 games .910
21 games -.941 / 36 games -.926
33 games. -.937/ 30 games -.927
31 games. -.928 / 26 games -.904

Wouldn't go with him as a declared undisputed #1 or pay a huge acquisition cost if he wasn't already in the org, but give a chance in a tandem? not that far fetched.

Those are the two seasons before each of Schneider/Talbot/Markstrom were given starting gigs.
Yeah, I'd say it's pretty tough to go with a first time starter at 29 when he's played 6 games in your organization and you likely need to have a good season to keep your job.

I could see there being a competition Campbell is part of with someone else who has starter potential or history, but not him as the default guy to start the year

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dubas is going to live and die by his "we can and we will". Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander aren't getting moved. You'll much sooner see Johnsson, Kerfoot, Andersen gone.
More importantly, as was stated above.....doing that trade ensures that the Blues will lose both Pietrangelo and Parayko because they add $1.5 million, which effectively takes them to within $500k of the cap upper limit, and they still have Dunn who needs a new contract too.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas is going to live and die by his "we can and we will". Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander aren't getting moved. You'll much sooner see Johnsson, Kerfoot, Andersen gone.

Sure looks that way. IMO if you are not going to get much O from your bottom 6 you might as well go with some grinders making minimal money who can make it difficult to to play against for the opposition but can keep the puck out of your net.

This also allows you to allocate more money to, and stengthen your D.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yeah, I'd say it's pretty tough to go with a first time starter at 29 when he's played 6 games in your organization and you likely need to have a good season to keep your job.

I could see there being a competition Campbell is part of with someone else who has starter potential or history, but not him as the default guy to start the year

I agree. It comes down to possible versus probable for me. Campbell was a former 11th overall, and Schneider/Talbot/Markstrom are good examples of goalies that made the jump to starter. Is that something a hopeful contender plans to bet on though? Seems safer for him to be the 1B starting 30 or so games to someone else's 1A.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The talk about moving Andersen on the cheap keeps pointing to signing AP to me.

if they’re liquidating assets to recoup low-cost role players and valuable picks, maybe the plan is to trade for a cost controlled goalie to tandem with Soup and reroute the savings to the D.

I wholly agree with this. We added the stud (Tavares) up front to round out the offense, and I think Dubas is looking to add “that guy” on the back end. The belief is probably that we can move Andersen, take advantage of a buyer’s market on a guy like Holtby, and run a tandem with Campbell. Our defense would be buoyed significantly with the addition of Pietrangelo, and the hope would be that the leadership, experience, and stability he brings would help get the club over the hump

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think that Kerfoot's versatility is what will keep him around a bit longer. Plus he really looked to be hitting his stride after the resumption of play. Can't forget he had his face caved in by that elbow early in the season, breaking his face.

I like Kerfoot more than Kapanen and Johnsson, but they’re all expendable under the current cap structure. If we’re going to go with a top-heavy cap structure, we have to ride those guys hard.

As I said before, assuming Kerfoot becomes a fixture on our top PK unit, he’s worth keeping.

Keeping Kerfoot means we either don’t upgrade our defense - which would be catastrophic - or we have to move an equivalent contract - likely Johnsson.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Elvis seems like the goalie of the future but don't think he's ready yet. I don't think either is exposed in the expansion draft either so would be surprised....unless that raises his value

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Was thinking that maybe Demko + Virtanen in place of Johnsson + Andersen is a pretty even trade off with more potential. Would be roughly 2.5-3 mill coming in and ~8 going out. Obviously separate deals, but i think both players may be expendable out of Vancouver.

I am also very aware that Demko would be a huge wild card.

Last edited:

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I'd trade Johnsson for New Jersey's 18th overall. I think we can get Lukas Reichel or Jan Mysak with that pick.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Was thinking that maybe Demko + Virtanen in place of Johnsson + Andersen is a pretty even trade off with more potential. Would be roughly 2.5-3 mill coming in and ~5 going out. Obviously separate deals, but i think both players may be expendable out of Vancouver.

I am also very aware that Demko would be a huge wild card.
This is an interesting deal actually

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

He is going to try for sure but he has to have co-operation from some trading partners for that to happen. I believe he probably has a couple of players he would really like to acquire to have the team he wants to start next season with, along with his big 4. If he can't make his deal I believe MM or more likely WN could be dealt, again only for the right move. He wants to win with those guys but mostly he just wants to win. Saying he has faith in his core isn't the same as saying there is no way he would change that core. He won't go down with the ship.

Reactions: The Podium

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of trading Andersen? I can understand the 1 year left on the deal, so it's time to decide on which way to go with him.

But why is it more often people seem to be wanting to get rid of him versus re-signing him for another 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad