Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
That's my take too .. But who? :laugh:

Gorgiev? Lehner? Demko? Murray? ...................... Sparks? :sarcasm:
Murray Jarry is definitely an interesting situation...Both RFAs but im not really interested in signing Murray long term to any kind of big money.

The rangers goaltending situation is definitely one to watch as Georgiev would be a good piece to add, although i think they would be smart to move Hank if possible. But the reality is with expansion coming up teams would be wise to sell off their 2nd goalie if they have two strong goalies. Teams with a cheap quality backup? Colombus, Arizona, Colorado, Vancouver(assuming Markstrom resigns). If we wanted to go with an older guy Greiss and Khudobin are UFAs this summer and could be had for a reasonable price i expect.

Reactions: Nylander88

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
As for D men my favorite UFA option is definitely Tanev but i think we would be better off going for a trade if possible. Severson is a really good option IMO but we might need to move our 1st or Sandin/Lilly to get him. Manson is a great fit as well but with one less year of term and being a few years older as well as being not as good IMO i wouldnt give up as much.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Goalies:

Jacob Markstrom - slightly prefer him over Lehner
Robin Lehner
Braden Holtby - with reservations, lots of experience, lots of mileage.
Joonas Korpisalo - anticipation of the expansion draft
John Gibson - longshot, but he's 27 and I'm curious if Anaheim needs him for a long rebuild.

Defensemen:

Alex Pietrangelo - you have to inquire.
Erik Cernak - the kid is a beast vs Boston.
Mikhail Sergachev - or you aim a little higher!
Dylan DeMelo -RHD, defensive defenseman.
Torey Krug - pint sized puck mover.
Zach Bogosian - looks great in Tampa. Worth a shot if inexpensive.
Haydn Fleury - still want to revisit acquiring one of the depth D Carolina has.

Forwards:

CoreyPerry - dirtbag upgrade, winger with size, experience, should come cheap.
Taylor Hall - just have a hunch he could come here for a short term one year push like Hossa.
Max Domi - could it work? What would it cost?
Sam Bennett - greasy center who seems to thrive in the playoffs if not regular season.
Nick Ritchie - black hole offensively in Boston, but he could supply us with a dimension we need on the 4th line.
Lawson Crouse - inexpensive, not particularly productive but similar to Ritchie.
Jayce Hawryluk - another greasy depth player for the 4th line. Some offense in Ottawa late in the year. Cheap.
Joe Thornton - not my first, second or third choice, but would satisfy a novelty factor I guess.
Tomas Nosek - cheap, big 4th line guy to take draws and can also play the wing.
Two D I wouldn't mind:

Radko Gudas - RHD, size, cheap, mean, crease clearing, PK, stay at home, veteran. Could be a good fit with either Dermott or Sandin on the third pair.
Scott Mayfield - RHD, size, great contract, defensive defensemen, PK. NYI needs to move some D out. Can he play up the lineup with either Rielly or Muzzin is the question.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Good summer for me would include a few of these deals.

Draft Askarov or Schneider with 15th overall

Trade Andersen for some picks
Sign DeMelo (3x3)
Simmonds 1 x 825k
Spezza 1 x 825k
& another veteran defender if we can squeeze it.
Mikheyev 1.5M x 2
Trade for Georgiev, sign 2x2

Nylander - Matthews - Hyman
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds/Barbanov
Korshkov - Spezza - Barbanov/Simmonds

Rielly - DeMelo
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonen - Dermott
Vet D

Georgiev
Campbell

I would be actively looking throughout the season for a deal to bring in another top 4 RHD to replace Holl. Dangle 2021 1st round pick if necessary.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If we don't end up moving a winger for a defenseman, I'd like us to go after Tanev, DeMelo or Gudas (in that order) for the top-4 and then grab a cheap vet like Del Zotto or Van Riemsdyk for the bottom pair. We need depth and internal competition for the cream to rise to the top. We're not going to develop defensemen playing them bottom pair minutes with fringe NHL'ers and brutal defensive players.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Rather than Jason Spezza or Joe Thornton they should target Corey Perry.

Trade Kerfoot for pick if possible, otherwise dump salary

Trade for Nicolas Roy from Vegas. They just extended him for 2 x 750k which is a steal. He’s not the same playmaker but he brings a lot of the qualities they lost in Tyler Bozak but at 23.

Edit: As I post this, Roy sets up a goal. :laugh:

I wanted him last year when he was on the Canes. Thought he might end up a good 3C with lots of size

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They better not get subban ffs. That would be Barrie part 2.

We need stay at home defense first defensemen. Not another rielly

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
What about Simmons and Perry on the Leafs. It doesn't get more asshole than that!

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Hyman Matthews Marner
Korshkov Kerfoot Simmonds
Clifford Engvall Perry
Robertson
Definitely open to one of them. We hopefully bring back Spezza this year at league minimum. Good leader that wants to be here. But we can't have a team full of guys losing footspeed lol Tavares is already no speed demon. But yeah I'd take one of Simmonds or Perry at the right price

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Murray Jarry is definitely an interesting situation...Both RFAs but im not really interested in signing Murray long term to any kind of big money.

The rangers goaltending situation is definitely one to watch as Georgiev would be a good piece to add, although i think they would be smart to move Hank if possible. But the reality is with expansion coming up teams would be wise to sell off their 2nd goalie if they have two strong goalies. Teams with a cheap quality backup? Colombus, Arizona, Colorado, Vancouver(assuming Markstrom resigns). If we wanted to go with an older guy Greiss and Khudobin are UFAs this summer and could be had for a reasonable price i expect.
It's a great year to be in the market for a Goalie. Free agents and the expansion draft. If we move Freddy, Dubas will have plenty of options. Trade for Murray? Trade for Georgie? Definitely teams that don't wanna get caught with two assets in goal when Seattle comes around. Then in free agency there is Holtby, Crawford, Lehner, Markstrom as well as guys who could be had for reasonable/cheap like Talbot,Khudobin, Greiss, Smith, Anderson, Elliott.
Really hope we move Andersen. Even Holtby I think could be had for less than Freddie's 5 mil just due to his declining play. Crawford has said that playing time is #1 for him in signing a contract. We'll have some options for sure

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Good summer for me would include a few of these deals.

Draft Askarov or Schneider with 15th overall

Trade Andersen for some picks
Sign DeMelo (3x3)
Simmonds 1 x 825k
Spezza 1 x 825k
& another veteran defender if we can squeeze it.
Mikheyev 1.5M x 2
Trade for Georgiev, sign 2x2

Nylander - Matthews - Hyman
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds/Barbanov
Korshkov - Spezza - Barbanov/Simmonds

Rielly - DeMelo
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonen - Dermott
Vet D

Georgiev
Campbell

I would be actively looking throughout the season for a deal to bring in another top 4 RHD to replace Holl. Dangle 2021 1st round pick if necessary.
That D squad you assembled looks worse than last year. And our forwards don't look improved either. Basically Kapanen for Simmonds
Demelo for Barrie & Ceci
Andersen for Georgiev
Not enough change there imo. Johnsson or Kerfoot will still need to go for D help.
Additionally you let Clifford walk away and I'm not sure where Engvall went lol
Only thing I can agree with here is your draft picks. If Askarov is at #15 that'd be amazing for our future

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
That D squad you assembled looks worse than last year. And our forwards don't look improved either. Basically Kapanen for Simmonds
Demelo for Barrie & Ceci
Andersen for Georgiev
Not enough change there imo. Johnsson or Kerfoot will still need to go for D help.
Additionally you let Clifford walk away and I'm not sure where Engvall went lol
Only thing I can agree with here is your draft picks. If Askarov is at #15 that'd be amazing for our future

I am with you on this > don't like that defensive core, not at all sure DeMelo is that top pairing RHD that we covet or need.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I wanted him last year when he was on the Canes. Thought he might end up a good 3C with lots of size
He’s playing like a good 3C for Vegas right now.

They definitely missed the boat on him - he was exceptional for the Checkers when they beat out the Marlies a few years back. I mentioned his name several times as a ‘buy low’ candidate. Carolina was loaded with 3-4C’s in the organization and Vegas stole him for almost nothing. The Leafs have no depth at centre in the entire organization but rather than targeting a player like Roy who could strengthen a weakness and be had for cheap, they were trading for Nic Petan and Denis Malgin.

Vegas now has someone who can effectively fill that role at 750k for two more years, and the Leafs have 3.5M Alex Kerfoot.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Johnsson for Max Jones+ 2nd round pick (36th)

Don't mind adding those guys if they come cheap

I like this. Jones is a relatively young guy who plays with a tonne of fire, and the 2nd onviously puts a good prospect into the system. Can Jones play up in the lineup, if necessary? I haven’t followed him too much since he broke through in Anaheim.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Really tough to see them gambling on Campbell, so it is a really weird angle

Is it though?
33 games-.915 / 26 games .910
21 games -.941 / 36 games -.926
33 games. -.937/ 30 games -.927
31 games. -.928 / 26 games -.904

Wouldn't go with him as a declared undisputed #1 or pay a huge acquisition cost if he wasn't already in the org, but give a chance in a tandem? not that far fetched.

Those are the two seasons before each of Schneider/Talbot/Markstrom were given starting gigs.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The only way St Louis even considers moving Parayko is if they have to do it to sign Pietrangelo. I’m not sure they even do that, but taking any kind of contract like Nylander back means they lose Parayko AND Pietrangelo this summer.
This is true - has to be a cap clearing trade to make sense. But if I'm Toronto, I don't do this deal anyway.

Reactions: Mad hatter

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think a big take away from that list of 4 players being floated is that the org remains fairly high on Johnsson and would prefer to keep him and hope for a rebound season if someone won't anti up.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I think a big take away from that list of 4 players being floated is that the org remains fairly high on Johnsson and would prefer to keep him and hope for a rebound season if someone won't anti up.
I'd agree is there really a huge difference between Mango and Kapanen in regards of talent and actually using it? If the best offer we can get for Mango is a 3rd rounder. If we don't have guarantees on what we will do with the cap. best to keep him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I really hope we don’t trade Kerfoot to replace him with Thornton. I also don’t know where there’s a sentiment of “Is Kerfoot a true Center” because he’s looked far far better when he was our 3C than when he was on the LW.

To me, Thornton should only be on our radar if Spezza decides to retire, or asks for 2M or something like that, and I don’t think either is the case

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I really hope we don’t trade Kerfoot to replace him with Thornton. I also don’t know where there’s a sentiment of “Is Kerfoot a true Center” because he’s looked far far better when he was our 3C than when he was on the LW.

To me, Thornton should only be on our radar if Spezza decides to retire, or asks for 2M or something like that, and I don’t think either is the case

Replacing a 3C with a 4C? Not sure why we'd do that. IMO if we flip Kerfoot to Detroit for a 2nd + it's because we're bringing in another center.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad