Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Or, more likely.....everything non-Leaf is waaaay better than what the Leafs have.
He's spent roughly half of the past 3 years in the minors being sent down by each of the 3 teams he's played for over that period.

I know he's playing tonight, but I'm pretty sure that's his first game this playoff and he's basically their 7th/8th D with Rutta.

Tough to call that a "starter"

Reactions: LeafChief and kb

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
For some of the rumour trades we would need to do to acquire him like 15th + or nylander for Manson +. I personally think is a little steep.

I would hesitate moving the 15th OA unless it's not much more than that. That 15th pick could be real good in 2-3 years while our window is still open.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Surprised that Andersen's on that list of players being shopped, especially if it's a low cost asset. Cap clearing move indeed but if begs question who they have in mind to step into the starting role.

What today's move and these comments coming out say to me is looking to rework things prior to free agency ... Lends you to believe they'll be making a splash in October

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Surprised that Andersen's on that list of players being shopped, especially if it's a low cost asset. Cap clearing move indeed but if begs question who they have in mind to step into the starting role.

What today's move and these comments coming out say to me is looking to rework things prior to free agency ... Lends you to believe they'll be making a splash in October

My feeling is they probably have a guy in mind who they think will cost less than 4 mil aav as a replacement to use in a tandem with Campbell and then use the extra cap room to put towards a D man.

But lots of question marks here

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm quite skeptical that any defenseman that might be had for a 15th+ is going to be a 15th+ better than anything available in UFA, or even that much better than some of the guys that might be available in cap motivated soft deals

Agreed.

With Pietrangelo, Tanev, Brodie, Demelo, Hamonic, Krug, Vatanen, Gudas, etc, there are plenty of good dmen available.

What are we going to get by trading a 15th OA that we're not able to get in free agency? It's not like a team is going to give us a young proven top 2-3 dman with multiple years of term on a good caphit for it.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My feeling is they probably have a guy in mind who they think will cost less than 4 mil aav as a replacement to use in a tandem with Campbell and then use the extra cap room to put towards a D man.

That's my take too .. But who? :laugh:

Gorgiev? Lehner? Demko? Murray? ...................... Sparks? :sarcasm:

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I mean I don't expect Dubas to come out and say Marner/Nylander are on the market but there's a realistic chance he hitches his wagon to that core again next year and moves around the rest of the roster to boost the blue line.

Still have no idea how that would work cap-wise.

But the Leafs have gotten a couple of needed futures today. So moving one of those two for a quality d-man is more up my alley than it was yesterday.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I mean I don't expect Dubas to come out and say Marner/Nylander are on the market but there's a realistic chance he hitches his wagon to that core again next year and moves around the rest of the roster to boost the blue line.

Still have no idea how that would work cap-wise.

But the Leafs have gotten a couple of needed futures today. So moving one of those two for a quality d-man is more up my alley than it was yesterday.
IMO it actually cemented the fact that they won't be going anywhere. What does RW look like if one of those 2 are dealt after dealing Kapanen? It's not pretty.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Rather than Jason Spezza or Joe Thornton they should target Corey Perry.

Trade Kerfoot for pick if possible, otherwise dump salary

Trade for Nicolas Roy from Vegas. They just extended him for 2 x 750k which is a steal. He’s not the same playmaker but he brings a lot of the qualities they lost in Tyler Bozak but at 23.

Edit: As I post this, Roy sets up a goal. :laugh:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I posted this in the Kapanen trade thread but it's probably better suited for here.

There's been a lot of talk today of teams not giving qualifying offers to some players in fear that they will get more in arbitration than the teams can afford with a flat cap. Anyone know any players that may fall into this category?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I have a strong suspicion they are going after Crawford or Holtby on a 2 year low AAV deal that they can tandem with Campbell then expose to Seattle.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I posted this in the Kapanen trade thread but it's probably better suited for here.

There's been a lot of talk today of teams not giving qualifying offers to some players in fear that they will get more in arbitration than the teams can afford with a flat cap. Anyone know any players that may fall into this category?

Think Virtanen may be an interesting one

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I don't see really anyone in this situation .. Maybe Jankowski from Calgary?

A lot of factors need to be considered but here is a list of RFA's:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I can't see many arbitration eligible players who wouldn't be qualified because of cost on this list.

Teams would probably try to trade their rights before not qualifying them

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I have a strong suspicion they are going after Crawford or Holtby on a 2 year low AAV deal that they can tandem with Campbell then expose to Seattle.

I have been eyeing Crawford.
Not sure he wants to sign a deal where he gets shipped to Seattle. :laugh:
He is turning 36 in December and has two small kids. Me thinks he would like to stay put.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Goalies:

Jacob Markstrom - slightly prefer him over Lehner
Robin Lehner
Braden Holtby - with reservations, lots of experience, lots of mileage.
Joonas Korpisalo - anticipation of the expansion draft
John Gibson - longshot, but he's 27 and I'm curious if Anaheim needs him for a long rebuild.

Defensemen:

Alex Pietrangelo - you have to inquire.
Erik Cernak - the kid is a beast vs Boston.
Mikhail Sergachev - or you aim a little higher!
Dylan DeMelo -RHD, defensive defenseman.
Torey Krug - pint sized puck mover.
Zach Bogosian - looks great in Tampa. Worth a shot if inexpensive.
Haydn Fleury - still want to revisit acquiring one of the depth D Carolina has.

Forwards:

CoreyPerry - dirtbag upgrade, winger with size, experience, should come cheap.
Taylor Hall - just have a hunch he could come here for a short term one year push like Hossa.
Max Domi - could it work? What would it cost?
Sam Bennett - greasy center who seems to thrive in the playoffs if not regular season.
Nick Ritchie - black hole offensively in Boston, but he could supply us with a dimension we need on the 4th line.
Lawson Crouse - inexpensive, not particularly productive but similar to Ritchie.
Jayce Hawryluk - another greasy depth player for the 4th line. Some offense in Ottawa late in the year. Cheap.
Joe Thornton - not my first, second or third choice, but would satisfy a novelty factor I guess.
Tomas Nosek - cheap, big 4th line guy to take draws and can also play the wing.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I'm quite skeptical that any defenseman that might be had for a 15th+ is going to be a 15th+ better than anything available in UFA, or even that much better than some of the guys that might be available in cap motivated soft deals

Thats why they should wait until after free agency to make any moves for a defenceman. No use in paying for a top-4 guy with assets when you can get one for free in free agency

Reactions: Duffman955

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What about Simmons and Perry on the Leafs. It doesn't get more asshole than that!

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Hyman Matthews Marner
Korshkov Kerfoot Simmonds
Clifford Engvall Perry
Robertson

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Johnsson for Max Jones+ 2nd round pick (36th)

What about Simmons and Perry on the Leafs. It doesn't get more asshole than that!

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Hyman Matthews Marner
Korshkov Kerfoot Simmonds
Clifford Engvall Perry
Robertson

Don't mind adding those guys if they come cheap

Reactions: Duffman955

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ignoring the big fish in Petra, my preference would be either Brodie in FA or Brodin in trade. For the bottom 6, I wouldn't be surprised if Dubas tries to get both Thornton and Spezza, and another bottom 6 player with Jam. Leafs seem to really be looking for leadership.
Whatever it is, I think Dubas has some things up his sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad