Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ya absolutely, that why I said separate deals. We dump Andersen+Johnsson for futures or players to contribute elsewhere in the lineup, then target Demko+Virtanen in a separate deal to replace them at 5 mill less

Ohhhhh got it.

Yeah interesting idea. Need a top 9 RWer now that Kap is gone.

Reactions: The Podium

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
We can't afford Pietrangelo. People need to get this out of their minds. If we sign him then we have league min players filling out our bottom six forwards and bottom three defensemen. We'd have no money to pay Hyman next year or give Rielly a raise in two seasons. We don't need another high-priced player who either doesn't or only just barely earns his contract -- we need to find cheaper guys that we can get the most out of.

I'd also like to see us try and bring Leivo back. He'd be a solid and cheap option for the third line and allow us to move Johnsson.

Reactions: GBLeaf

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If we do a trade with Edmonton I'd try and take a stab at getting Puljujarvi. He was rushed and obviously not ready for the NHL his first year and got the call-up/sent down/pressbox treatment his second year

He's big, fast, not afraid to shoot, and could maybe be stolen from Edmonton as their new management team has no ties to keeping him around.

Would love to see him patrolling the opposite wing with Matthews and Willy

Reactions: ToneDog and Dragao6

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We can't afford Pietrangelo. People need to get this out of their minds. If we sign him then we have league min players filling out our bottom six forwards and bottom three defensemen. We'd have no money to pay Hyman next year or give Rielly a raise in two seasons. We don't need another high-priced player who either doesn't or only just barely earns his contract -- we need to find cheaper guys that we can get the most out of.

I'd also like to see us try and bring Leivo back. He'd be a solid and cheap option for the third line and allow us to move Johnsson.

I think we need to add in defensemen who know their role and have that defensive mindset. Our holes are a complimentary piece for Morgan Rielly and a bottom pairing D-man who can clear the crease and providing some toughness.

We can achieve this via a TVR , Bogosian, Borowiecki, Dillon. Those are the pieces we need.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

If there’s a cheap goalie to be had by trade (like ELC money), there’s enough cap flexibility to sign Pietro, and he’s a game changer.
Dubas has already hinted that his players have value, so, if there’s a need to make moves, they can be made. That’s why he initially said there’s not really a cap crunch.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
LeBrun mentioned that Flames were in on acquiring Andy from Ana but Lou scooped him. Perhaps a deal around Andy and Rittich is possible ??

Also thinks Petro might come in between 7 and 8 due to COVID and the flat cap.
7-8? yeah we are getting him.

Reactions: ToneDog

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I am 100% all for it. I really liked the idea of Corry Perry that someone else suggested. I am not at all sold on Simmonds having anything left in the tank, and don't want to pay the 2nd for Clifford. I'd take a run at Ryan Reaves - would change the chemistry of this team significantly. We do need a Komarov / pest.
reeves will cost $$ he is the toughest forward in the game

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I feel like adding Pietrangelo could really dramatically elevate the Leafs. All of sudden Rielly is the weaker D pair on the first line, Muzzin and Holl are the second option, and the 3rd pairing could be Sandin or Dermott and a Bogosian. Feels like it could be like when the Jays added David Price in 2015 and everything clicked into place defensively.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Yeah I still like his physical tools and potential more than anything he has actually done. Certainly if they are keeping the top two right wingers he leaves the smallest hole, especially with Barabanov coming. Oilers would love a fast right shot to play with McDavid but not sure what they have that the Leafs need (not Larsson). Move him for value wherever and sign a UFA defenseman.. I would like to deal Kerfoot as well but they need a cheaper c to replace him and there aren't a ton.

Yeah I totally agree. According to the rumours today it looks like they're trying to move him so we'll see where that goes. Maybe a guy like Kempe from LA? although he's another center/winger and not really a full time centerman

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
$7.25 million deleted from Barrie and Ceci's terrible defensive play right off the hop.

i mapped it out weeks ago

kappy/johns/kerf all need to go with no to little cap back

and 1 of those just happened;)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I feel like adding Pietrangelo could really dramatically elevate the Leafs. All of sudden Rielly is the weaker D pair on the first line, Muzzin and Holl are the second option, and the 3rd pairing could be Sandin or Dermott and a Bogosian. Feels like it could be like when the Jays added David Price in 2015 and everything clicked into place defensively.

Yep, he would be a legit major addition addressing our #1 need.

Might need to move Nylander to balance the roster at that point, but if you can add Pietrangelo for a reasonable deal, I think that could make sense (i.e. we obviously shouldn't write a blank cheque and need to be aware of term too).

Reactions: supermann_98

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We are 100% on the same page on Kerfoot, Kapanen and Johnsson... liquidate them into a pile of futures and $10 million in cap. Dumpster dive into the Covid flat cap UFA market and rebuild the farm.
a right side of

Pietra 8.5m
Bogo 1.5m
Gudas 1.5m

would please me

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Sure looks that way. IMO if you are not going to get much O from your bottom 6 you might as well go with some grinders making minimal money who can make it difficult to to play against for the opposition but can keep the puck out of your net.

This also allows you to allocate more money to, and stengthen your D.
I agree. This isn't Babcock trying to roll four lines. Keefe rides lines 1 & 2 heavy. We need sandpaper and PKers in the bottom 6 that come at reasonable cap hits.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
We are 100% on the same page on Kerfoot, Kapanen and Johnsson... liquidate them into a pile of futures and $10 million in cap. Dumpster dive into the Covid flat cap UFA market and rebuild the farm.
Improve the D significantly? Check
Rebuild the farm/draft card? Check
Re-allocate cap? Check

Though, ideally, I’d prefer to keep Kerfoot if possible. I think it is if you can find a cheap (ELC) goalie for 1-2 years.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
what happens if the draft goes on with Clifford unsigned then the Leafs sign him say right before training camp or a few weeks into the season. LA took the Leafs 3rd round pick would LA file a grievance?
Think more than anything that's just dirty pool. Good way for a GM, a young GM at that, to run his name through the mud.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yep, he would be a legit major addition addressing our #1 need.

Might need to move Nylander to balance the roster at that point, but if you can add Pietrangelo for a reasonable deal, I think that could make sense (i.e. we obviously shouldn't write a blank cheque and need to be aware of term too).
Term is a fair question and concern.
While he and Muzz are aging, Lili and Sandin and maybe TD are still developing into more meaningful roles.
A front loaded, high SB deal might help with that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Term is a fair question and concern.
While he and Muzz are aging, Lili and Sandin and maybe TD are still developing into more meaningful roles.
A front loaded, high SB deal might help with that.

I don't know if I mind an older blueline. Hedman is 11 months younger than Pietrangelo, for comparisons sake, and guys like Weber and Petry looked fine for Montreal this playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it'll be more 8-9. But interesting that Lebrun thinks it could be as low as 7.

If it's a $7 million AAV for Pietrangelo, I think you just bite the bullet and make it happen.

It would also average the Tavares/Pietrangelo UFA buys down to $9 million per, which brings up the level of quality on the roster but at similar dollars paid as Tampa's Stamkos/Hedman pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad