Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of trading Andersen? I can understand the 1 year left on the deal, so it's time to decide on which way to go with him.

But why is it more often people seem to be wanting to get rid of him versus re-signing him for another 4 years?

With a crowded goalie market he is easily replaceable for minimal assets. If he is signed now it would basically sacrifice Campbell to Seattle in the expansion draft. His 1 mill real dollar value for a true 1G will be very attractive to teams who are struggling financially due to COVID

Basically its time we start cashing in on our assets and stop letting them walk with nothing to show for their value.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of trading Andersen? I can understand the 1 year left on the deal, so it's time to decide on which way to go with him.

But why is it more often people seem to be wanting to get rid of him versus re-signing him for another 4 years?
I assume it's because people think it's gonna cost the same as he's making now or more. It won't fit into a cap crunch and if he can't steal us games, can probably get us a goalie that can do the same for cheaper. (Not my opinion)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Two D I wouldn't mind:

Radko Gudas - RHD, size, cheap, mean, crease clearing, PK, stay at home, veteran. Could be a good fit with either Dermott or Sandin on the third pair.
Scott Mayfield - RHD, size, great contract, defensive defensemen, PK. NYI needs to move some D out. Can he play up the lineup with either Rielly or Muzzin is the question.
if it's me i go with a right side of Pietra/Bogo/Gudas
Holl/Derm find new homes and sandin 3rd pair with Gudas body guard

Reactions: ToneDog

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That D squad you assembled looks worse than last year. And our forwards don't look improved either. Basically Kapanen for Simmonds
Demelo for Barrie & Ceci
Andersen for Georgiev
Not enough change there imo. Johnsson or Kerfoot will still need to go for D help.
Additionally you let Clifford walk away and I'm not sure where Engvall went lol
Only thing I can agree with here is your draft picks. If Askarov is at #15 that'd be amazing for our future
you definitely let clifford walk,,,,, he is not worth 30 bloody draft slots in a deep draft

i want that 2nd,,,let LA have the 3rd

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
you definitely let clifford walk,,,,, he is not worth 30 bloody draft slots in a deep draft

what happens if the draft goes on with Clifford unsigned then the Leafs sign him say right before training camp or a few weeks into the season. LA took the Leafs 3rd round pick would LA file a grievance?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I really hope we don’t trade Kerfoot to replace him with Thornton. I also don’t know where there’s a sentiment of “Is Kerfoot a true Center” because he’s looked far far better when he was our 3C than when he was on the LW.

To me, Thornton should only be on our radar if Spezza decides to retire, or asks for 2M or something like that, and I don’t think either is the case
why not Thornton and spezza?
between thornton/spezza/goat/engvall that's plenty of dpeth C for the 3rd/4th line role

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
what happens if the draft goes on with Clifford unsigned then the Leafs sign him say right before training camp or a few weeks into the season. LA took the Leafs 3rd round pick would LA file a grievance?
i truly don't know

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I really hope we don’t trade Kerfoot to replace him with Thornton. I also don’t know where there’s a sentiment of “Is Kerfoot a true Center” because he’s looked far far better when he was our 3C than when he was on the LW.

To me, Thornton should only be on our radar if Spezza decides to retire, or asks for 2M or something like that, and I don’t think either is the case
Kerfoot is useless,,is small,plays small , i don't see any of his "supposed skill" and makes 3m+

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 Clark

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

because they are pssd at him like they was with kadri last POs

the children always find a whipping boy

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

The conditional pick is for next year, not this year.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If we get Pie, we basically have to keep Holl as a second pairing Dman to play with Muzzin for cap purposes.

Rielly - Pie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Gudas

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

He’s not capable of showing up in big games, and is going to want a pay raise when his contract is up.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Andersen will probably cost too much to resign and this team has little wiggle room.
Andersen is also only owed 1M next season which means that he should be easy to trade.
Perhaps the team feels that it more beneficial long-term to go with a tandem system.
Perhaps the team has another goalie targeted who they feel will give them something more.
Regardless, according to Mirtle, execs have told him that Freddie is being shopped.
Personally, I think that Freddie kept a poor performing Leafs' team in the CBJ series, but previously he has been hit and miss.

Reactions: nuck and SAMCRO44

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Was thinking that maybe Demko + Virtanen in place of Johnsson + Andersen is a pretty even trade off with more potential. Would be roughly 2.5-3 mill coming in and ~8 going out. Obviously separate deals, but i think both players may be expendable out of Vancouver.

I am also very aware that Demko would be a huge wild card.

Don't think the Canucks would want Andersen, they'll probably want to re-sign Markstrom

They're in a tight cap situation too.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
You can! Just trying to think of some ways to change the mould of the bottom two lines.

I am 100% all for it. I really liked the idea of Corry Perry that someone else suggested. I am not at all sold on Simmonds having anything left in the tank, and don't want to pay the 2nd for Clifford. I'd take a run at Ryan Reaves - would change the chemistry of this team significantly. We do need a Komarov / pest.

Reactions: LeafChief

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I am 100% all for it. I really liked the idea of Corry Perry that someone else suggested. I am not at all sold on Simmonds having anything left in the tank, and don't want to pay the 2nd for Clifford. I'd take a run at Ryan Reaves - would change the chemistry of this team significantly. We do need a Komarov / pest.
I'd prefer Perry for sure - I just assumed he might cost more.

Reaves just re-signed in Vegas so I don't think he would be an option.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Teams with two decent goalies past next year are probably inclined to deal one of them before the expansion draft. That is why Dubas is probably thinking he can get someone either as a FA or trade with a cheaper contract than Anderson. Then use that cap space towards the D.

FYI, I am too lazy to through all the teams to see which teams are in this situation with 2 goalies. If someone would like to volunteer to create that list to add to the conversation. Go right ahead. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brobust and ToneDog

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Don't think the Canucks would want Andersen, they'll probably want to re-sign Markstrom

They're in a tight cap situation too.

Ya absolutely, that why I said separate deals. We dump Andersen+Johnsson for futures or players to contribute elsewhere in the lineup, then target Demko+Virtanen in a separate deal to replace them at 5 mill less

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad