Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
And Marner only got 1 more goal with 30% more minutes played and $9M more paid. I think the Anderson comp is fair. Gauthier is a passive giant who plays like he is 5'10" except with crazy reach. You could do worse for sure with a 9:00 a night guy but that doesn't mean he brings you Crouse back in a trade. Crouse was 8th in the league for hits by a forward and he doesn't play on the 4th line so he isn't dropping those on scrubs like Reaves or Martin. Although I like what Clifford brings the Leafs need some crunch higher up in the lineup. I have barely seen Crouse as a pro so I don't know exactly what he is as a total player. Similar numbers to Anderson does mean he is a similar player. If you wait for him to turn the final corner he becomes unaffordable.
well,,, that is your problem right there

you think guys like reeves and martin are scrubs

you will never have the faintest idea what a playoff team looks like ,,with the mind set that guys like martin/reeves are scrubs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I wonder if Dubas is looking at hight priced AHL contracts. We've heard a few NHL teams are looking at cutting salary due to COVID and if no fans next year their owners want to cut cost. I heard ANA, Pit, ARI, NYI, MIN among other teams. I wonder if anyone of those teams has guys in the AHL making big money that the Leafs can take on and bury with the Mariles in return for some draft picks or prospects.

The deal with Pits Lingren was only going to make 70k next year while Warsofsky is making 400k in the Minors. Hopefully, Dubas explores a few more of those moves to use MLSE financial power to secure some more assets.
"big money" ahl contracts can affect the nhl cap

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Pair someone with Campbell as 1a-1b. Save another 2-3 mil and throw it at the D core

Not as far fetched as some would think.

Campbell has a had a very comparable last two seasons as Talbot did (at the same age) before the Oilers gave him shot and he delivered 2 years as a starter. Is only one season older than when Markstrom played more than 33 games for the first time (and has better NHL numbers).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I will admit. I'm confused what useful low cost asset means. I know you explained it but still.

Some people define that as anything outside of top prospects and 1sts.

I do not see how the Leafs trade Andersen for anything less than a couple of 2nds or equivalent value.

I think the baseline we are looking at is the Mike Smith trade to Calgary a few years ago. Andersen is younger and better than Smith was back then, but Smith had an extra year and 1.5 mill of retention taking him to a 4.25 mill cap hit. He returned a B prospect in Brandon Hickey and a conditional 3rd which would become a 2nd if Calgary made the playoffs.

I think we are looking at a couple of mid-late 2nds and maybe a goalie dump, which we can flip elsewhere. We may also tack on Bracco or Gauthier to the deal.

Buffalo could be a team with interest in a guy like Andersen.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Would be very surprised if we don't see Sandin - Liljegren as our 3rd pair for two reasons. They are both ready and we have to see what have in them with some NHL experience, and secondly they are ELC cap hits. Seems silly to pay Dermott and hold Sandin back.
Lehtonen is above Sandin too.

Reactions: Buds17

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Also if NJ was in on Kap then they obv are looking for speed - Engvall skates like the wind. Could be a good fit there.
Don't see how they benefit. Miles Wood isn't exactly a slug out there. They save a bit of money but lose bite. In a foot race, not so sure they're that far apart

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
something tells me Leht is already penciled in as our 3rd pair right D

Regardless of the side, I would be more surprised if he isn't there at the start. Might prove closer to a stopgap that buys further time for a prospect than a longer term option for this team, but Lehtonen seems like an option that should be NHL ready 'now'.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
"big money" ahl contracts can affect the nhl cap

how so? if he has a 2 way contract or under league minimum, it doesn't affect the cap. I am not talking about burying guys I am talking about the Chris Muellers of the world who are making high 6 figures. Those guys teams might want to move on from during Covid

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
how so? if he has a 2 way contract or under league minimum, it doesn't affect the cap. I am not talking about burying guys I am talking about the Chris Muellers of the world who are making high 6 figures. Those guys teams might want to move on from during Covid
oh , you and i had different opinions on what "big money" ahl deals meant

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Some people define that as anything outside of top prospects and 1sts.

I do not see how the Leafs trade Andersen for anything less than a couple of 2nds or equivalent value.

I think the baseline we are looking at is the Mike Smith trade to Calgary a few years ago. Andersen is younger and better than Smith was back then, but Smith had an extra year and 1.5 mill of retention taking him to a 4.25 mill cap hit. He returned a B prospect in Brandon Hickey and a conditional 3rd which would become a 2nd if Calgary made the playoffs.

I think we are looking at a couple of mid-late 2nds and maybe a goalie dump, which we can flip elsewhere. We may also tack on Bracco or Gauthier to the deal.

Buffalo could be a team with interest in a guy like Andersen.

Ideally a pick and a prospect that is 2 years away. The Leafs need more prospects in the pipeline to fill out the roster in the future.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
My opinion from Dubas interview is he's going to try and package the 15th overall and try and get a guy like Manson or Severson. Doesn't sound like he has any intentions of moving one of the top 4 guys

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Don't see how they benefit. Miles Wood isn't exactly a slug out there. They save a bit of money but lose bite. In a foot race, not so sure they're that far apart

Maybe we throw one of our 11 picks in there to even it up - not disagreeing with you though. Id also like to see a larger deal with them which I've already mentioned... We will see. They could use Andersen.

Reactions: Nylander88

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
My opinion from Dubas interview is he's going to try and package the 15th overall and try and get a guy like Manson or Severson. Doesn't sound like he has any intentions of moving one of the top 4 guys

I'd expect him to consider moving the 15th over any of the Big Four as well.

Reactions: Menzinger

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun: Maple Leafs accomplish their goal in recouping first-rounder for Kapanen – The Athletic

What’s next for Pittsburgh?

Trading Matt Murray, perhaps.

There were some who thought a deal was close over the past week but didn’t materialize. Penguins GM Jim Rutherford is on record saying he needs to trade one of his two goalies with sources around the league saying his focus is on moving Murray.

The problem some teams view in taking on Murray is that not only is he RFA and needs a new deal, but he’s arbitration-eligible and one team source told me they’re worried he’d command $6 million in arbitration. Then he’s UFA in a year.

That’s a lot of risk, especially when you consider the number of pending UFA goalies soon to hit the market.

On the other hand, Murray is younger than all of those guys and has won two Stanley Cups.

It may be that the Penguins have to wait until teams looking to upgrade in goal realize what the contract demands are for these UFA goalies before they circle back to Pittsburgh on Murray.

Speaking of goalies, I’m told there haven’t been any talks (yet) between the Leafs and Frederik Andersen’s camp. The goalie has one more year on his deal before becoming UFA. The options were obvious:

• Sign him to an extension this offseason.

• Trade him this offseason while you can still get some asset value.

• Let him play out his deal and walk next year, understanding that getting cap space in return is of some value.

I bring all this up because when we first got word Tuesday of a deal brewing between the Leafs and the Penguins, I wondered if Murray might be part of it, when you consider the OHL Greyhounds connection between Dubas and Murray. But in fact, I’m told Murray’s name did not come up in talks between the two teams.

So does that mean Andersen comes back for another season with the Leafs? I’m not ready to say that yet. I do think it will depend on potential trade offers the Leafs get on Andersen over the new few months. There might be something that makes sense.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Does anyone know if Manson still deserves the praise he gets here or will we be paying for a 17/18 season he might never repeat?

For some of the rumour trades we would need to do to acquire him like 15th + or nylander for Manson +. I personally think is a little steep.

Reactions: Havoc

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Does anyone know if Manson still deserves the praise he gets here or will we be paying for a 17/18 season he might never repeat?

I think he'd be a good partner for Rielly. Obviously in a dream world Pietrangelo is the best partner for Rielly but I think what Manson brings is what Rielly doesn't and that's what makes a good D pairing. Rielly had his best season with Hainsey because Hainsey would hang back and let Rielly play more offensive and Hainsey cleared the front of the net and broke up the cycles which Manson is much better at and much more physical and intimidating like Muzzin is.

Reactions: Kurtz and Havoc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad